Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2002, 09:48 PM
DarleneS

Default Rotterdam changing sailing dates

We are booked on the Rotterdam on the 11/30/02 sailing. Our ship is full and we were offered to move to a 01/03/03 sailing. By the time we got a return call from our TA, it was too late. We have come to realize the January sailing would be much better for everyone in our party. We have emailed her with our request, but don't know what to expect or what would be reasonable. Has anyone else worked with HAL to change sailings? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2002, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Rotterdam changing sailing dates

Author:*DarleneS*(63.161.131.---)
Date:***10-20-02 21:48

We are booked on the Rotterdam on the 11/30/02 sailing. Our ship is full and we were offered to move to a 01/03/03 sailing. By the time we got a return call from our TA, it was too late. We have come to realize the January sailing would be much better for everyone in our party. We have emailed her with our request, but don't know what to expect or what would be reasonable. Has anyone else worked with HAL to change sailings? Thanks.

Darlene - Confused! Not sure what the following means -

"Our ship is full and we were offered to move to a 01/03/03 sailing. By the time we got a return call from our TA, it was too late."

. Do you mean you are booked and fully paid for the Nov.30 cruise but would now like to switch to the January 3rd departure?

Quite probably it can be done,. if the ship is fully booked now, it's quite possible that there will be a waiting list of some some. I'd say there could quite POSSIBLY be some sort of penalty. I'd pick up the phone and ask the TA or call Holland America direct. If it's a Net booking then I guess you have to await someone's pleasure for an answer.

Old October 21st, 2002, 04:01 PM
DarleneS

Default Re: Re: Rotterdam changing sailing dates

Thanks for responding. We are fully paid with rooms assigned on the 11/30 cruise. Our TA called and presented an offer from HAL, to move to the 1/3/03 cruise (same cruise/same ship) with a 25% discount and possible upgrade. I told her I would contact the others and get back to her. I called within the hour and let a message for her to contact me. Over the next 2 days my sister and I left messages for her to call one of us. She finally replied to the email I sent on the 3rd day and said the offer was no longer being offered. The January 3rd cruise was not available when we booked ours last April. As it turns out it would fit better for all going.

I did get an email from her today. This is the response:

I called Holland America. Since you are within Holland America's penalty period, if you voluntarily move your cruise date, you will be subject to their penalties.

We were willing to paid the fees to change our airline tickets, but really didn't want to spend anymore than we have already paid for the cruise.

Do you think it would be worth it to call HAL directly and see if they have a waiting list for changes? As you can tell, we are first-time cruisers.....

Thanks, Darlene
Old October 21st, 2002, 04:17 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Rotterdam changing sailing dates

Most certainly I'd call Holland America direct - THIS VERY MINUTE! - have all the papers, receipts, e-mails etc. you've received to date at your finger tips - HOLD ON for as long as it takes to get real answers from CUSTOMER SERVICE - not the girl who answers the call!!!!

Good Luck - keep us posted.

Old October 21st, 2002, 05:13 PM
DarleneS

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Rotterdam changing sailing dates

I called HAL and they only have category D (not mid-ship) and below available. We are currently mid-ship with a category C... So, we'll stay where we are.

Thanks for your advice. It never hurts to try.
Darlene
Old October 22nd, 2002, 06:58 PM
Irish

Darlene A bit of advice....if you ever book another cruise, try another travel agent. Any travel agent who does not contact you when asked, is not worth having.
We were offered a discount to change cruises, but the new dates offered were not possible for us to take advantage of. When we informed our travel agent of this, she immediately did a lot of negotiating on our behalf and got us a great deal with dates acceptable for us. She kept us informed of every step she took.
Old October 26th, 2002, 02:32 PM
PC

Contact Customer relations at HAL and explain what happened and see if they can help. You also might want to ask the TA to put you on a waitlist, if possible.
Old October 26th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Darlene Snider

Thank you to all who responded. We did contact Holland America and there wasn't anything available in our category or better. We have asked our TA to contact us if something comes available.

And yes, we will not use this travel agency again.

Thanks, Darlene
Old November 4th, 2002, 05:24 AM
DMize

Default Re: Re: Rotterdam changing sailing dates

Darlene,
Boy, you've have one lousy beginning to cruising. I agree with all posters here. Dump that TA like a bad habit. A TA is supposed to be you professional advocate. You have been treated shabby.

Since I have cruise HAL so many times I'm not sure you are getting the whole story.
Is it possible your TA did not send your payment on time to HAL? Are you positive you are not receiving a line of bologney?

When you do have your HAL cruise I ensure you, you will enjoy fine ammenties and accomplished service.
Old November 7th, 2002, 02:58 PM
John Q

We had a similar experience earlier this year on HAL for Alaska Southbound. We booked thru AAA and had a hold on a cabin. We went back a few days later and paid the deposit and got all our paperwork from AAA. A few weeks later when I tried to research excursions, I found that HAL had no reserved cabin for us. Bottom line, AAA blamed HAL for mistake, we finally got cabin in same cat. on same cruise but not as near the center. About a week or two before our cruise, HAL offered us a similar deal to rebook on a later sailing for a discount and upgrade. Because we had already made all our own reservations for air, car, excursions, hotels before, we declined the offer.
Upon getting to the ship, we found that we had been given our orignial cabin that our AAA TA had messed up on and can only assume that the other people chose the deal offered. Good luck on your trip.