Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2002, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Default HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

From another board -

"SEATTLE -- Several passengers aboard Holland America Line's 1,380-passenger Amsterdam contracted a gastro-intestinal virus on the ship's Oct. 1 repositioning sailing from Seattle, scheduled to dock at Fort Lauderdale Oct. 22, according to the line.
A line spokeswoman estimated the number as between 100 and 200 passengers who contracted the Norwalk-like virus, the same strain of virus that forced the line to cancel a cruise on the Ryndam this summer when there was an outbreak on two sailings.

Source: Internet "

Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
MIKE V

Default Re: HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

Where did you hear this news? We sailed on the Ryndam a few weeks after it was cleaned up in Alaska and are scheduled to sail the Amstersam on Nov. 21. We seem to be attracted to "deseased" ships!!! I'm glad I got my yearly Flu shot this morning
Old October 23rd, 2002, 08:36 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

Sorry, I can't give, because I don't have, any more info

Believe it was mentioned on travelpage - I just copied and pasted. Haven't checked Holland's web site - have you?

Old October 24th, 2002, 08:48 AM
David Starkey

What is it about Alaska and this Norwalk virus. Why does it keep striking the "Alaska cruises" year after year after year? Its got to be something about that area or water or something. I got it 4 years ago in Alaska on a Princess ship and was sick as a dog. It ruined our whole cruise(me and 400 others). The ship went into quatantine when we got to Vancouver.
Old October 24th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Captain

A cleaning crew of over 200 met the ship at 5 A.M. In FLL when she arrived; CDC inspected and checked medical records etc, and the ship sailed as scheduled.
Old October 26th, 2002, 06:09 AM
tomaz

Read the letters on the cruise critic site. Explains the whole trip very well.
Old October 29th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Bill ....

Yeah, we were on that cruise. They definately had a problem with NLV (Norwalk Like Virus). They said it came aboard in Cabo I believe, perhaps through a crew person. This is all from memory. However, they had a real problem with people getting sick. They really went to extreme measures to stop cross-contamination among the passengers and crew. Passengers were not allowed to touch any food serving untensiles in the Lido area. Walls and handrails were wiped down regularly - I assume with disenfectant. All the service crew wore hand coverings. The shaking of hands at public gatherings was definately discouraged. It was interesting at Captain's functions to see the officers rubbing elbows with the guests instead of shaking hands.

My wife had an overnight "thing" but it went away the next day. My insides were kinda grumbly for several days. If you got NLV, they wanted you and your room mate to restrict yourself to your cabin for the duration PLUS 3 days after the symptoms disappeared - like 4 or 5 days. They were really strict on the crew for this but I don't think many passengers were willing to give up a third of their cruise for it.

Anyway, HAL did a heroic effort to combat NLV and managed to contain it to a limited extent. I don't know how the following Carabean cruise faired.

BTW - it was a really great cruise, NLV not withstanding.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Passenger

Yes, there is more information on the 10/22/02 Amsterdam Cruise. The NLVirus is still active. Go to Cruise Critics HAL board to read the latest.
Old October 29th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

Old November 3rd, 2002, 03:22 PM
francine

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

We were on the Oct 4 - 22 Amsterdam cruise and it was really uncomfortable.
Two of our table mates came down with the virus and were quarantines for 72 hrs after they contracted the virus - Their cabin mates were quarantines for 24 to 48 hrs unless they came down with it too. One couple were in quarantine on the day we went thourgh the Panama Canal. The one high point of the cruise. At least they had a V eranda so they could at least watch our passage.
They closed the hot tubs, part of the beauty salon ie: manicrues and pedicures, facials. You could not help yourself to food in Lido even salt and pepper shakers were served for you. The crew wore gloves and no shaking hands. I have copies of the letters they gave to the passengers during the cruise regarding the virus if anyone wants a copy let me know.
They did not control the virus as one of our table mates came down on it on the 20 Oct. just 1 day before docking.
Per the post in Cruise Critic it seems the ship still had the virus and caused problems again.
HAL really tried to stop the outbreak but it seems to have not worked.
Any more info on ships next cruise Nov. 1st.
Old November 12th, 2002, 09:33 AM
lorie stieben

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

on my local news i have just read that another norwalk like virus has broken out they did not say which ship im traveling on the amsterdam in april sure hope all the bugs are out very odd they cant get rid of this
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Passenger

Please check my post un NORWALK TYPE VIRUS
Old November 19th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Found on another board
Quote:
Posted on Tue, Nov. 19, 2002

Sick count keeps rising on cruise ship
By INA PAIVA CORDLE
icordle@herald.com

Eight days into the current cruise, 234 passengers and crew members have contracted a stomach virus aboard Holland America's Amsterdam -- surpassing the sick count on any of the previous sailings.

In all, 672 passengers and crew members have been stricken with the illness in the ship's past four voyages. Symptoms of what is called the Norwalk-like virus include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, headache and low-grade fever.

Centers for Disease Control spokeswoman Susan McClure said a decision regarding canceling the next sailing would likely be made by today.
Time to start cancelling flights for that 11/21 sailing.
Old November 19th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's official. HAL has cancelled the 11/21 sailing. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021119/sftu114_1.html
Hope they give refunds to those who previously decided to cancel on their own.
Old November 20th, 2002, 11:14 AM
mikev

Default Re: Re: Re: HAL Amsterdam - any more news?

my wife and I were to be on the 11/21 cruise and were notified of the cancel about 3 PM yesterday by our TA. Since we were expecting it, she was pre instructed to book another cruise out of Ft Laud since our vacation time and flights were locked in. Now going on Millenium. We are promised a full HAL refund (which may take 5 weeks to show up on credit card account?) and some yet unanounced credit for a future cruise. HAL still hasn't used it's own Website to announce the cancellation or details.