Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 19th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Another one sick

Default Norwalk Virus, Statendam

Outbreak on the Statendam Hawaii Cruise, Oct 31 to Nov 15.
My wife got sick on this one.
Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2002, 08:45 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

I heard there were 46 people on this cruise who got sick. Certainly less than on the Amsterdam, but still concerning. I heard a rumor that there was a Norwalk virus related death...can you confirm?
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Another one sick

Default Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

Sorry, I cannot comfirm a Norwalk virus related death on the ms Statedam.

However, someone was tendered off the ship after leaving Kona in the early morning and someone was airlifted off the ship near San Diego.
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Another one sick

Dozens Fall Ill During Cruise To San Diego
Problem Mimics Greater Outbreak In Florida

POSTED: 7:55 p.m. EST November 15, 2002
UPDATED: 8:23 p.m. EST November 15, 2002

SAN DIEGO -- A cruise ship leaving San Diego for Mexico was the subject of a super-cleaning Friday in an attempt to stop a virus that's already made hundreds of people sick, 10News reported.

Some Passengers Seriously Concerned

In recent months the Holland-America cruise ship, the Statendam, has had a serious problem, with some 35 passengers coming down with the Norwalk Virus on the voyage from Hawaii to San Diego.

Recently, however, a different Holland-America ship -- the Fort Lauderdale, Fla.-based Amsterdam -- has seen some 465 passengers and crew members hit with the symptoms of Norwalk Virus; stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting. The flu-like symptoms hit over the course of the ship's past four cruises.

The Amsterdam departed Monday with 1,316 passengers, after 600 workers cleaned and sanitized the ship for 10 hours earlier that day.

If more people become ill on the remainder of this trip, Elvejord said the company will consider canceling the ship's next scheduled Caribbean cruise, scheduled to depart Nov. 21.

In San Diego, a team of technicians was put on board the Statendam Friday armed with chlorine and other disinfectants to battle the virus before the next load of passengers was boarded. The ship set sail Friday afternoon.

But there was some worry among those checking in.

"You don't know if it's a foreign germ you may keep forever. That's a concern," one passenger told 10News. "I'd like to know what they'll do if somebody does get sick."

Those checking-in were advised of the problem, and anyone already sick was asked to go home and re-book.

Meanwhile, those continuing on will likely be more cautious.

"I will probably watch food carefully -- eat more canned food, fewer fresh items, wash my hands more. I'll be careful," one passenger said.
Old November 20th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Firefly

Old November 22nd, 2002, 08:50 AM
stuff&things

Default Norwalk Virus, Statendam

And now the Disney Magic has a virus. What is going on? this ship doesn't got o Port Cananveral, so now I wonder if it is a food dostributor or something like that. Does anyone know if they use the same food distribution company?
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Apparently one of the passengers from the Amsterdam was still sick when the ship disembarked and a few days later reported into the hospital. The man later died. This was reported on the Inside Edition segment BUT, and a huge BUT, they did not report what the man died from. It could've been a stroke, or heart attack, or any number of other ailments and it was strictly coincidental he was stricken with the virus on the Amsterdam. Inside Edition merely led you to conclude for yourself he died of the virus.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 22nd, 2002, 12:33 PM
Geoffrey P. Norton

Default Re: Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

The man who died was on the Ryndam and dies seven days after the cruise of a pulmonary embolism. The relation between the death and the illness is now the subject of mediacal debate. However, as the family's attorney, I can tell you that he was extremely dehydrated from the virus adn the family thinks that there is a strong correlation. The point is that HAL did not give its passengers the notice of the virus such that others with different health conditions good avoid the voyage.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

Hope all you want, IMHO there is no case. People die from this event all the time. It is sad commentary when one tries to cash in on grief or death simply because they can under American law.
Jim

Old November 22nd, 2002, 08:39 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

Dehydration and bedrest are two big risk factors for development of deep vein thrombosis, which can cause a pulmonary embolus. Of course a DVT should have been diagnosed in the hospital and treated before it led to the PE, so it would be difficult to determine whether this is a medical mal-practice issue or an issue with HAL.

I think it would be extremely difficult to prove that HAL took insufficient precautions or was obligated to warn people of a virus that from my understanding they did not have any real problem with on this ship prior to this cruise.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 12:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

oh let me guess. lawsuit? thats what i guessed.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 01:22 AM
Geoffrey P. Norton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

Yes there is a lawsuit, several in fact. People who were on these boats and subjected to the virus without warning are hoping mad and for good reason. Many of the victims are lederly and had saved up for years to afford these cruises. HAL knew that the virus was prevelant and yet did not inform people of the likelihood that they would be exposed. Those who criticize lawyers for trying to compensate victims in these cases seem to ignore the fact that the cruise line put profit ahead of safety. I think they were wrong to do that.

Geoffrey P. Norton
Old November 23rd, 2002, 03:39 PM
Santec

All I want to know is what is being done..... Are we being told the whole story. As with the Legioners Virus it was months before the truth came out.
Old November 23rd, 2002, 10:58 PM
Hondu

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

Spoken like a true shark, oppps, I mean lawyer. I have never read where passengers in class action suits have gotten any cash from cruise lines. The lawyers haul off all the cash. Everytime.

I have been in several class action suits involving cruise lines and airlines. Always got a coupon. Highest denomination was $25.

When are people going to learn that only the sharks, oopps again, get the cash.
Old November 26th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Norwalk Virus, Statendam

KLD,

I think it would be extremely difficult to prove that HAL took insufficient precautions or was obligated to warn people of a virus that from my understanding they did not have any real problem with on this ship prior to this cruise.

If it were only two or three cruises that were affected before they brought the situation under control, I would agree with you. According to the news reports, though, it was more like ten or fifteen consecutive cruises of MS Amsterdam -- enough to indicate that they probably did not decontaminate the ship adequately between cruises. Most assuredly the cruise line should have recognized that their decontamination procedure was not working and initiated more rigorous measures several cruises ago.

That said, there's still the stubborn fact that this condition now has spread to at least three ships, one of which belongs to another line. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) most assuredly ought to be investigating the matter, and especially looking for common links such as common suppliers, transfers of personnel, passenger overlap, and even visits by the same government inspectors (INS, Customs, Coast Guard, or even CDC) that might account for the spread of such diseases.

Norm.
Old November 27th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Bob Currie

I posted this article but it was pulled as a possible copyright infringement???? Oh Well we have become a society of litigants as some of those who got "sick" on these cruises are proving. Anyway, as the Center for Disease Control says, this is a very common virus and the incidents on cruises is actually down, it is that the number of cruises has increased dramatically....Go to this link, it is ok to post a link, for more info and more perspective on this matter...

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...ck-cruises.htm
Old November 29th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Bob,

Yes, it's okay to post a link. Even better, if you type "[url]" before the link and "[/url]" after the link, like this.

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2002/2002-11-27-sick-cruises.htm[/url]

the link

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...ck-cruises.htm

actually works!

Norm.