Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Jake123

Default Re: Re: Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

I was on the Zaandam in Feb., cost in Pinnacle was $10.00 embark nite and $20.00 each night thereafter. We enjoyed the first night so much we ate in the Pinnacle Room EVERY night the rest of trip. It was fabulous. We are sailing on the Noordam June 22. 2004 and intend to eat in their Room quite ofter also.
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

Year ago on a cruise ship there was no other dining room to eat at. Now we have a choice. I love the choice.

No one said you have to go there. If you don't want to pay, don't go. For the rest of us, we like the option. And we will gladly pay. Stop complaining. Don't go if you don't wan't to pay. Your just getting what cruise ships use to offer, the main dining room..

We love the choice.

93 Seaward
94 Zenith
95 Cunard, Sagaford
98 Destiny
99 Zanndam
00 Regal Princess
00 Grand Princess
01 Millie
02 Grand Princess

Old May 25th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

Jake, the Noordam does not have a Pinnacle Grill. The ship is being sold and will no longer be in service with HAL after this fall, so a conversion to a Pinnacle (and also a Neptune Lounge for suite guests) was not done. Glad you enjoyed it though; we did also.
Old May 26th, 2004, 04:01 PM
RAE

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO PAY IT , DON'T GO.
Old May 26th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

The Pinnacle on the Zaandam IS the alternative restaurant formerly called the Marco Polo. The Marco Polo name logo is still in the tiled floor at the entrance. We paid $20. to eat there in March and enjoyed it very much.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:28 PM
First Mate

Just back from Alaska on the Zaandam and while I ate in the 'Grill' twice and the food was very good and service excellent, as usual - I don't think it was worth two visits. The dining room food was so very good it wasn't worth the extra $20 ($10 first nite - yes). Disappointing desserts in particular. Lido food was barely warm most days and while lots of it and quite varied it all started tasting the same after 2-3 days. Had indigestion a few times also - too much fat - poorly drained sausages, bacon etc. That said u still have got to give HAL credit with still providing 'free' fancy coffee service, popcorn and ice cream with all the toppings and great cookies too. The service - well how can one ever fault that and GEE - WOW all new mattresses and pillows and the whitest, fluffiest cotton towels I have ever seen. Enjoyed the lighted makeup mirror also. Embark. & disembarkation were quick and smooth naturally! Kudos to HAL for the size of the cabins - after travelling on other lines with their tiny cabins, poor storage space and bruised shins I'm so glad to get back to HAL. Happy cruisin' all :0)
Old May 31st, 2004, 05:23 PM
Big apple

Default Re: Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

Hi CRUISE CRAZY,Agree with you on alternative Pinnacle and will give my vote to Olympic on Millinnium.As for Lido this is why we eat in main dining room for almost all breakfest and lunches when possablI always ask for my bacon crisp and no probleGet two orders one not enough.Will try alternative on Voyager of the seas this dec however not heard of any great meals like on Celebrity.All in all sounds like youn had a great trip.Welcome back.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:50 PM
Mia

I am adamently opposed to being charged separate fees for "alternative" dining. As far as I'm concerned, I already paid for my meals and I shouldn't have to pay extra in order to receive quality food and service. I'm also annoyed at being charged a "nominal fee" of between $15 and $25 per day to use a spa, gym or take a yoga class. As far as I'm concerned, it is petty nickel & diming. My cruise fare should entitle me to free access to EVERYTHING on the ship other than gambling & alcohol. What are the thoughts on this out there?
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mia , don't go. Leave the wonderful options for the rest of us that enjoy such pleasures.
People like you will take away those wonderful options.

Most of us agree, we do not mind paying. Quiet. Let us pay. You can stay in the main dinning room as years ago.

Then people like you had nothing to complain about. You had no choice.

93 Seaward
94 Zenith
95 Cunard, Sagaford
98 Destiny
99 Zanndam
00 Regal Princess
00 Grand Princess
01 Millie
02 Grand Princess

Old May 31st, 2004, 10:30 PM
big apple

Having cruised since the late 50,s I have no problem with charging for manyof the extras that you are referring to. I can show you an invoice from the 70,s which will show cruises more expensive than what you are paying today.In those days we only payed .50 for a foreign beer.I do have a complaint if they start treating you as second class such as on QUEEN MARY.When you have to eat in a special dining room based on how much you pay is when I leave cruising.As for the current extras , I do not have to particapate unless I so desire.W hen you stay in a fancy hotel you have the same extras but you are paying for these upgrades.As for the charges in the alternative restaurants, some are worth it and some are no better than dining room.The Olympic on the Millinnium is to die for and you will not have any better meal and service in any 4 star Mobile award winning restaurant.I do not think they should charge for ice cream as done on many lines and for milk shakes on RCL.Holland now starting to charge in their special coffee room and I do have a concern as you do as to where you draw the line.Still beats staying at home and is a very affordable vacation based on total charges.
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:29 PM
Passenger

You are going to pay one way or the other for 'superb' food, not just good food and all the other extras. You either can pay with higher fares or pay extra on the ship if you want to enjoy these things. Take your choice.
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:35 PM
First Mate

Hiya Big Apple - good to know u are still around & yes I did enjoy my cruise (always do though...)! My one complaint though which I failed to mention on my previous posting was the fact that HAL staff does not enforce the dress codes and as such why then have one at all? Saw people in dockers, T-Shirts & capris with cotton tops for dinner on formal nite. They were the minority - most were dressed a bit better and some in long gowns & even tuxs although we had 1 fellow at our table in just a shirt & tie (guess I should be grateful he even wore a tie). Where is the jacket requirement?? The staff isn't even consistant with the doors closing after 15 mins at the dining room so if late u have to go to the Lido. Saw people coming in sometimes up to 30 mins later and yet 1 couple at our table were sent away after arriving 16 minutes after the door opened. I also saw people in shorts in the dining room at lunch on the one warm day we had so even that isn't being enforced. Kind of an insult to those who spend the money and take the time to dress up - ahhh well - class will tell right?? Looking forward to RCCLs Jewel in Sept to Can/New England - wish HAL had the same itinerary but the Jewel is gorgeous ...Happy cruisin' kiddo :0)
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:22 PM
big apple

Hi cruisecrazy Glad you had a great time in my old home state.For the record none of the ships enforce the dress code even though it is written.For the most part those on Holland have been on many cruises and have a little more class.I do believe the staff is worried that they might offend someone if they followed the written policy Did notice on the Millinnium Olympic restaurant everyone had on a coat and most with ties.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 12:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm taking my 5th & 6th HAL cruises th eend of this month on the Zuiderdam. I've never tried the Pinnacle necause my traveling buddies weren't interested. But everyone at our table who tried it on my Prinsendam cruise tried it twice just do they could try the different menue items. I'm traveling with my sister who loves fine food so this time I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the reduced rate on the 1st night. Since we're doing back to back cruises we'll get to try it twice and half price and send the teens up to the lido for pizza.