Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2002, 11:01 PM
Passenger

Default New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

Well it seems that HAL has joined the ranks of other cruise lines in charging a fee to dine in the alternative dinning rooms. To dine at the Pinnacle aboard the Ms Statendam and MS Ryndam you pay $15.00 per person, to dine at the alternative dining restaurant aboard the MS Volendam, Zanndam, Rotterdam, and Amsterdam you do not pay. Is this a mixed message are the other restaruants inferrior to the Pinnacle? Is HAL getting petty with us. I have written to the CEO of HAL for an explaination. What are your opinions?
Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Brad Krewson

Default Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

I'm not going to lose sleep about it . If you want more service in a suite, it cost more for the suite.

I still feel you get better flowers and painting at no extra cost.

Brad

Post Edited (12-05-02 18:49)
Old December 6th, 2002, 07:26 PM
BillGee

I think the Odyssey restaurants on these ships are available at no additional cost. I'm certain the Pinnacle alternative restaurants will be 15.00 as soon as they are available on the rest of the fleet.
Old December 12th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

The $ 15 will be short lived. Sounds like an intro fee, should be $ 25 before you know it.
Old December 12th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

You know Ken, as sad as it sounds I agree with you. I have written to the CEO A. Kirk Lanterman to express my opinion, I will keep you posted as to the response if any. I think it will be a typical a "sorry but things will not change" reply.
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Captain

From the reviews and comments I have read about The Pinnacle Grills, everyone is saying they are so very excellent and the quality/service etc rank at the level of the very finest dining. I have absolutely no problem with a moderate fee of $15 if we choose to dine there.

No one has to reserve to dine there; the dining rooms on HAL ships are so excellent, that any passenger who objects to paying the $15 simply doesn't dine there. It's alternate dining and optional.
Old December 14th, 2002, 09:07 AM
JimG

We pay a little more for HAL to get a little more upscale everything. This should be without any additional fees. You'd expect that on the entry level lines.
Old December 14th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Brad Krewson

I agree with sail7seas you don't have to eat dinner there. Now a days their is Not a big price difference between cruises line except the high end lines. It is also like ports of calls , you pay for those any were from 34.00 to 500.00 +. It is all what you want in a cruise and willing to pay for it.

Brad

Old December 15th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Passenger

I agree toatlly woth Jim G...HAL proports to be up scale, and advertises that you don't pay for the extras that other lines charge for. Additionally, I just had a friend return and said while the Pinnacle was a fine dining option, he thought the fee was petty and suggest that the other dining venue was inferior to the Pinnacle.

My primary objection is that you can dine at the alternative retaurants, the Odyssey and Marco Polo aboard the Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zanndam,and Volendam respectively, and not pay the fee. Are these alternatives inferior to the Pinnacle???
Old December 17th, 2002, 06:43 PM
First Mate

I agree with "sail7seas* and others" -

" I have absolutely no problem with a moderate fee of $15.00 -
IF WE CHOOSE TO DINE THERE.

Old December 18th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to jerzigal

I had the pleasure of dining in the Pinnacle Grill twice on the Ryndam in October.

The first evening, several of us went mainly because we were "treated" by our Travel Agent who happened to be on the cruise with us. None of us had intended to dine there as we're all happy HAL Dining Room people.

However, by the time we were finished the appetizers, we all pronounced that we would GLADLY pay the $15 per person.

One of the great things about it, and which also sets it apart from the Odyssey/Marco Polo alternative restaurants is that it has its own kitchen with an EXTREMELY high temperature (1600 degrees, I believe) grill. I like my beef "blue," which is rarer than rare. On both evenings, my filet was perfect, charred on the outside and red in the middle!

I'm hoping that the Rotterdam switches to a similar set-up before we sail her in May!

~~~~~~~Judi in Hamilton NJ~~~~~~~
Wishing You Blue Skies & Calm Seas
Old December 19th, 2002, 03:25 PM
SueClark

I have no problem with the extra fee to eat in the special restaurant. It really is no different that fees for spa services. You can choose to take advantage of the special service / place or not.

Sue
Old December 20th, 2002, 11:11 AM
BillG

If they maintain their standards in the main dining room, I have no problem. But I do fear that at some point if one complains about the quality of the food or service in the main dining room, the official response will be that if you want high quality, you can go to the alternative dining room and pay extra for it. In the meantime, I guess the competitive prices of cruises is causing all lines to find new sources of revenue and alternative dining is but one of them. I am more concerned with Anne's description of the decor of the Zuiderdam. Sounds like the Carnival and Joe Farcus' influence is intruding on HAL, but of course we know that Carnival would never allow such a thing to happen. Isn't that what they are always telling us?
Old December 21st, 2002, 08:44 AM
Passenger

Well Sue I would disagree with your point. If I would use that logic it would be somelthing like.... On the Volendam, Sanndam, Amsterdam, and Rotterdam, Spa Services are free, and on board the Ryndam and Statendam, they will cost you.

That is because only the Ryndam and Statendam charge for dining in their alternative restaurants, the other HAL ships do not,. This is why I am vexed with HAL decision to apply a special fee to only those two ships.
Old December 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Bob Currie

We just got off the Ryndam and we ate in the Pinnacle. It was absolutely wonderful. I just don't understand someone saying that because of this restaurant that the main dinning room food will suffer. This is a totally seperate enterprise and is totally up to you whether or not you take advantage of the wonderful experience. It is an elegant evening and I would gladly pay $25.00....Just one man's opinion. If you don't like don't go there.
Old April 26th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Passenger

Default New $15 fee for alternative dining restaurants

Our Westerdam 05/19 sailing charges $20/person now. I think this trend will spread to all cruiselines to cover the lower-than-before cruise price. I think this is fair as long as the high quality is there.

Old April 27th, 2004, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to withitalso

I was on the Amsterdam in Nov 35 days around S.A. fee was $20 did not use it as others said food no better than regular dinind room. Service a little better. Why bother? Never saw the dining room full in fact often mostly empty
Old April 27th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Andy R

Just got off the Zuiderdam. It's a $20 charge for the Pinnacle 'Odyssey'. I only ate there once. It was a meal to remember. Fantastic service and superb food, well worth the supplement.
Old April 27th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Readytobook

Hi,
I haven't tried this on HAL, but Celebrity has a similar setup, $20 or $25 and it was great. Very intimate, quiet, and fabulous food. I never thought of it in terms of dining room food taking a step down, as long as this doesn't happen I think it is a nice way of offering people more of an ala carte approach to luxuries.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have just returned from cruising South America on the Amsterdam for 33 days. The charge for the alternative restaurant was $20.00 (U.S) per person and was reduced to $10.00 on embarkation night, both in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso. Also, special menus were offered (eg. French, prepared by the Executive chef) for various higher per person prices.
Also, cruised on the Zaandam in 2002 and 2003 and the prices were the same.

Among some passengers on the Zaandam last year there was the joke that the alternative restaurant was the "staff dining room", because often you could see that most of the customers were officers or the photography and spa staff. On this past Amsterdam cruise the alternative restaurant was very sparsely booked, with no more than 10-15 tables per evening.
Old April 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Location: Brooklyn - Dyker Heights-Bay Ridge - NYC By The VZ Bridge

Hi All,

We have read in this forum before that the charge for the alternative restaurant "Pinnacle - Odyssey" this year was $20.00 (U.S) per person and was reduced to $10.00 on embarkation night on the Rotterdam.

We cruised on the Rotterdam last year to the Caribbean and ate in the alternative restaurant "Pinnacle" and paid at that time $20.00 pp.

Is HAL lowering the price now to $15.00 to attract interesting people?

We ate there last year and was very satisfied for the quality and price and intent to eat there again next month when we cruise on the Rotterdam once again.

Regards,

Old April 28th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Thulewx

The original posting to this thread ($15.00) was a year and a half ago...
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the Zaandam in March (2004) and it was $20/person.
We thought it was worth the extra cost.
Old April 29th, 2004, 03:10 AM
First Mate

Has anyone noticed that HAL is now offering the dining room menu for room service (only during dining room hrs.of course) so we now have another alternative place to eat (our own cabin) if we don't want to go formal. Happy cruisin'!
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Big Apple

Hi Cruisecrazy,Have found that alternative restaurant on Celebrity better than Holland.What is your opinion and would like to hear from others.Also Capt,s Club gives you free ticket to be used any nite which beats holland where you have to use first nite only.Both lines need to do a better job of promoting these sites as an alternative place to dine first class.
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:42 PM
First Mate

$15.00 was a l-o-n-g time ago!

Really wonder if alternative dining site needs to be promoted on HAL (never sailed Celebrity so can't comment) - getting a reservation is sometimes the problem - it's well worth the $20.00 plus tip.

Old April 29th, 2004, 08:32 PM
First Mate

Hi There Big Apple - thanks for the support earlier - won't be forgotten...! I agree- Celebrity is #1 with HAL a close second and yes they both need to promote more. I use the alternative rest. at least once every 7 day cruise and sometimes twice - wldn't miss the food and esp not the service - nothing like being pampered.That said I also now have at least one eve. where I order the d.r. room service with HAL after a full port day for example. Hope all is going your way & happy cruisin'!!
Old April 30th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Babette

The per person rate is $20.00. It is half price ($10.00 per person) the first night.

There was also a special dinner at $75.00 per person one evening a "Chef's Tasting" dinner complete with wine.

The quality of the foodstuffs served in HAL's specialty restaurants (ex. Sterling Silver beef) far exceeds the quality of the foodstuffs served in Celebrity's specialty restaurants.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Barbaralee

I was on the Rotterdam a few weeks ago and it cost $20.00 pp for the Pinnacle Grill
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Oh Babette please tell me more about the Chef's dinner @ $75 pp with wine - which ship (s)? I did part time catering and luv to try 'stuff' like this..Have u tried it? I agree that the beef is superb on HAL but Celebrity is great also - that said it can vary greatly between ships (chef maybe the difference) what think? Service - ahh don't u adore being sooo pampered - worth every 'nickel & dime' giggle!!!...happy cruisin'!