Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Looks like HAL didn't do us any favors!

Hello,
Nine days from sailing on the new Zuiderdam and we just got our cabin assignment. Never sailed on HAL before. Our cabin in Category A is way, way in front of the ship. Since we never had any experience in being 3 cabins from the waters edge we are naturally concerned. Before I get anymore unhappy thought I would ask if anybody can tell us what to expect...other than having to pack a lunch to get to the main dining room. Looks like we will not lack plenty of exercise.
Can't wait to hear some positive comments, if there are any.
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Bob Currie

Default Re: Looks like HAL didn't do us any favors!

We just returned from a 7 day Sea of Cortez cruise on the Ryndam. Our cabin was the very forward one on the Verandah deck and we were thrilled. It is a wonderful place to enjoy the real thrill of cruising. I hope that you have as great a cruise from your position as we did on ours. As far as being a long ways from the dinning room, took us about 2 minutes to walk all the way there.
Old December 27th, 2002, 06:02 AM
thulewx

It might depend slightly on which deck your stateroom is located. But since all the forward "A's" are on the upper decks I doubt if it will be a big problem. Just take your time going to the dining room, stroll the promenade, shop, gamble a little - it's not THAT far ;-)
Old December 27th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Looks like HAL didn't do us any favors!

Thanks for your response!

We'll be on Rotterdam deck 7 on the new Zuiderdam.

Yep, we will be wearing our walking shoes and going from the very front to the very back alright Possibly walk off what we eat hopefully.
Old December 27th, 2002, 11:41 AM
thulewx

Default Re: Re: Re: Looks like HAL didn't do us any favors!

On the last 15 cruises I've sailed, I've lost at least 5 pounds on each, while eating to my heart's content - one of the little pluses I love about cruising - walk everywhere - it's good exercise and there's always something (or someONE) to look at ;-)
Old December 27th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Frank Black

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like HAL didn't do us any favors!

That's one reason I rarely book a cabin as a "guarantee". You never know what you get.
Old December 27th, 2002, 03:13 PM
First Mate

I almost always book a "guarantee" if its offered because I'm usually seeking the least expensive (notice I avoided "cheap") cabin on the cruise. Every direction is UP. Frequently, I am upgraded several decks and one time even got an outside cabin.

I do this, I suppose, because cabin size or location is of little consequence to me since I spend so little time there. If however, I were traveling with my now ex-wife I'm sure we would want to select a certain type or level of cabin and that would be much different.

Gary
Old January 1st, 2003, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like HAL didn't do us any favors!

Hello Frank,
How right you are! I have taken my last guarantee. The first time I did this it worked out beautifully and we were upgraded to a suite.....I realize this was a once in a lifetime stroke of luck!
Thanks for your email.
Helen
Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

How many times have you sailed on Holland Gary?
Old January 2nd, 2003, 01:31 AM
First Mate

I've never sailed on Holland America, BJ....all my guarantees and upgrades (2) have been on Carnival, NCL and a Paquet Line "Cruise from Hell". I can't see how there is anything at risk in selecting a guarantee if you are in fact selecting the lowest cabin level anyway. This is what I almost always do.

I can understand, however, if there is a desire to be near dining rooms or avoid the potential for elevator noises that some would want to select precisely their cabin assignment.

Gary
Old January 2nd, 2003, 09:31 AM
Frank Black

Gary-

I have sailed over 20 times. I used a guarantee only 3 times. One time I was stuck right next to the elevators. We heard loud talking and noise at all hours of the night. Drunks would come down from the disco at 3:00AM and wake us up. Once I was stuck next to the storeroom that the room stewards used for supplies. Again I was woken up very early as they started their day with lots of noise and commotion. Nothing like rattling pans, ice makers, etc. at 5:45AM. The third time was OK. But I decided never again.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
First Mate

Frank,

I understand completely your concern about the hit or miss aspect of a guaranteed cabin. I can certainly agree a guaranteed cabin is definitely not for everyone.

I guess I'm fortunate that in 63 years I still sleep like a baby a solid 5 hours every night no matter where I am or no matter how different the mattress may be (I've slept on a heated water bed for the last 25 years). I grew up on the water so I'm also unaffected <knocking on wood> by the ship motion usually associated with a cabin near the bow.

Gary
Old January 4th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Curious as to how you can have anything relevant to say about cruising on Holland America if you have never done so?
Old January 4th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

I don't want to sound unsympathetic that you are unhappy, but if you book a guarantee you know beforehand that you can be assigned ANY cabin above a certain category. You sound as if you are blaming HAL that you were given a forward cabin and not one in your preferred area close to the dining room. That's very unfair. I would advise you not to book a guarantee again if there is any area of the ship which you might get that is totally unacceptable to you..
Old January 4th, 2003, 04:01 PM
First Mate

BJ says:

"Curious as to how you can have anything relevant to say about cruising on Holland America if you have never done so?"
__________________________________________________ ________

No you're not ! You were most likely pimped into asking that question by a relative. (Son, Father or Brother)

The advantages and disadvantages of a "guarantee" are IMHO universal in the cruise industry with slight nuances practiced by each respective cruise line. I thought I would contribute to the original post and did so.

Since this thread is about the pros and cons of a "guarantee", what are your thoughts on it or experiences with it ?

You would do well to read the post of BillG the last line of which is quoted below: (Complaints about HAL 12/20/02)

"It shouldn't be necessary to promote one's favorite line by denigrating other lines or the passengers to whom those lines appeal. When you do so you promote a stereotype of HAL passengers as old and snobby or elitist."
__________________________________________________ ____________

HAL is probably your favorite or ONLY cruise line. I can understand your displeasure in seeing HAL attempt to shed the image its enjoyed for decades and romance a different demographic with newer ships that appeal to younger tastes. This is the harsh reality of the cruise industry. The objective and unforgiving hand of capitalism demands that they make these changes or CEASE existing.

Gary
Old January 4th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Gary, I have cruised on 7 lines to date and I have enjoyed each and everyone of them. I don't have a single complaint. I DO NOT troll around message boards of lines I have not cruised on yet. I will continue to post anything I feel like posting contrary to the dictatorial wants of you and Bill, but that is my perogative isn't it ... I am sorry that you get upset when someone pulls your covers but that is life....
Old January 4th, 2003, 09:28 PM
First Mate

BJ,

I'm upset ? ? ? ?

I wouldn't think of taking a cruise on a different line WITHOUT "trolling" around the message board of that line.
It is on these message boards we "trollers" get some kind of perspective of the level of service, the general activities on board and, probably most importantly, a general idea of the KIND and TYPE of person that cruises that line.

You're fulfilling the stereotype that BillG and Bostom mention in their posts. And Hal is moaning in frustration....

Gary
Old January 5th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Enough....cruising is for fun, not for anger....I will quit if you will. I would hope that you will some day see first hand what Holland has to offer as I have seen Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, Windjammer, Costa, Cunard as well as Holland. Each and every cruise was enjoyable and I would not hesitate to go again. I offer no excuses for my rudeness, just an apology.
Old January 5th, 2003, 06:44 PM
JimG

This can't be the B.J. from several boards I've haunted, because you didn't mention Regal or premier.
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Apology accepted, BJ, a true indication of character, however, none was considered necessary. I never thought your comments were rude. Opionated, of course; I read you as a loyal HAL cruiser who understandably is defensive of a seagoing tradition. I would probably feel the same way.

I disdain "trollers" also when there set purpose is to BASH my favorite cruise line (pretty much ONLY cruise line). I look forward to the day when I can, indeed, experience the tradition that you Holland America "guests" are so proud of and loyal to. If I can talk one of my cruisemates into it to keep the cost down, I would like to give the Zuiderdam a spin.

Gary
Old January 18th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am booked on the Zuiderdam in June. Cruised on the Rotterdam last May and was
very pleased. The Z and the R are very similar and both have retractable roofs over
the Lido pool (which is heated). That area is absolutely beautiful and so are the cabins,
quite spacious. This will be my 5th cruise on HAL and it is my favorite cruise line.
The food is delicious. The Lido restaurant is marvelous. Hope this helps.
Old January 18th, 2003, 05:47 PM
First Mate

It's not our practice to book 'guarantee status' but have now done it twice because of late decisions - fortunately we've been very lucky. Having said that, we have, on both occasions, specified that it be an 'outside guarantee'......more expensive than a 'run of the ship' guarantee.

An 'open' guarantee is not for me - can't bear to think of an inside cabin.

Look at it this way - at the grocery store there's always a rack labelled ' out of best date' (or words to that effect) - cheaper maybe but YOU'RE GETTING WHAT YOU PAY FOR - things/spaces/locations other people did not want! Fine for some, just not for me.
Old January 18th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

<,specified that it be an 'outside guarantee'......more expensive than a 'run of the ship' guarantee.
<,
What is the difference between outside guarantee and run of ship guarantee. We booked a verandah run of the ship. As I understood it -- it means we will probably have the least expensive verandah, but could be upgraded.
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:16 PM
First Mate

Mindy - an 'outside guarantee' is just what it says - the cabin will be 'outside - with a window or porthole' on any deck - could (but most doubtful) even be a veranda cabin - 'run of ship guarantee' also means on any deck but it may well be an inside cabin - that's why it's cheaper.
Old January 19th, 2003, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looks like HAL didn't do us any favo

Helen - apart from your wishful thinking about the upgrade to a suite, how was your cruise? Some observatons please.
Old February 4th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

betty we are considering a june 7th booking i am concerned about a message i read on this bb service about the ship being drydocked next december for some unknown reasons let me know if you hear any more about this