Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2003, 05:57 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Default what happened to my daughter

Our family took a cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam which is a Holland America line. Our 19 year old daughter was having coffee and one on of the maleforeign employees told our daughter that my husband was very ill and he needed to take her to us. She followed him to elevator and he pushed her from hall way onto deck and tried to force himself on her and kiss her. We reported the incident and filled out papers that were were given. We were told he would be fired and would not be allowed to work the rest of cruise which had 2 days remaining. He was working still because we saw him in main dining room so were turned to our rooms and had room service. After arriving in Vancover, we stayed two nights at a hotel across street from ship chanel. The person that had ruined our trip was on the deck of ship as it was leaving for another cruise to Alaska. We pointed at him as he saw us and was laughing. We were lied to and needless to say our cruise was ruined.We will never use Holland American nor recommend it to anyone.
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2003, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: what happened to my daughter

Mrs. Barnes,
That is terrible, did you fill out an incident report on the ship? I hope when the ship arrived in Vancouver you contact the police. The security on board should have completed a formal compaint procedures which would involve contact the police when you arrive in your next port since I can only assume you were in Canadian waters. Then the crew member would have been removed from the ship.
Mrs. Barnes wrote:

> Our family took a cruise to Alaska on the Amsterdam which
> is a Holland America line. Our 19 year old daughter was having
> coffee and one on of the maleforeign employees told our
> daughter that my husband was very ill and he needed to take her
> to us. She followed him to elevator and he pushed her from
> hall way onto deck and tried to force himself on her and kiss
> her. We reported the incident and filled out papers that were
> were given. We were told he would be fired and would not be
> allowed to work the rest of cruise which had 2 days remaining.
> He was working still because we saw him in main dining room so
> were turned to our rooms and had room service. After arriving
> in Vancover, we stayed two nights at a hotel across street
> from ship chanel. The person that had ruined our trip was on
> the deck of ship as it was leaving for another cruise to
> Alaska. We pointed at him as he saw us and was laughing. We
> were lied to and needless to say our cruise was ruined.We will
> never use Holland American nor recommend it to anyone.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 05:52 PM
Mrs. Barnes

We filled out a very long form on the ship. The police were not called and we were told over and over the guy would be sent back to his country as soon as the ship docked. What a shock to see the jerk waving and laughing as he left dock for another cruise. When we told our travel agent she was surprised but I was even more than shocked to hear that it could have been so much worse and about rapes on ships. I know at the present time there is a girl missing from a cruise she was on with her family and they still have not found her.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 09:41 PM
thoth

Default Re: Re: what happened to my daughter

Good luck to you. I sure hope that justice prevails.
Old January 3rd, 2003, 10:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Excuse me but why in the world didn't you contact the Police??? If my daughter were acosted like this I would not rest until the scumbag was behind bars!!!!
Old January 8th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Whatever happened to you Mrs. Barnes, I have written to Holland America for an explanation as I am member of the Mariners Society as a frequent Holland cruiser. Stay tooned for their answer...
Old January 8th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Admiral

Bj, let everyone know what you learn, if anything. I certainly don't want to offend anyone and hope not to, but every story has two sides and as this is a serious report, I'm sure there are many who would like to learn more of what happened.
Old January 9th, 2003, 05:10 AM
First Mate

I want to know why Mrs. Barnes waited so long to post this info on here if this happened in Alaska.
I know that HAL takes all complaints very seriously and I cannot see them glossing over this.

Also, I would like to know how she could possibly have seen this employee on the deck from her hotel, which I believe she said was across the street from the pier. Did she have binoculars????????? Another thing, how did this employee know who her daughter was and why he would be sent to get her if her father was ill. I'm very suspicious of this whole thing.
Old January 9th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dizy, that is why I am tiptoeing around this thing. It is very suspicious to me too. Why in the world didn't they go to the police, why now that we are all interested is Mrs Barnes among the missing...If it happened it is horrible, if it didn't happen it is equally as horrible. I will post here as soon as I hear from HAL...
Old January 10th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Brandis

click on Mrs. Barnes name and email her personally.
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Default Re: Re: Re: what happened to my daughter

Excuse me but why in the world didn't you contact the Police??? If my daughter were acosted like this I would not rest until the scumbag was behind bars!!!!

The reason we did not contact police in Vancover was because it happened at Sea and we were told over and over he was fired and would be sent back to his Country.
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Mrs. Barnes

I want to know why Mrs. Barnes waited so long to post this info on here if
this happened in Alaska.

Because I just found this board is why.
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Also, I would like to know how she could possibly have seen this employee on the deck from her hotel, which I believe she said was across the street from the pier. Did she have binoculars?????????

My husband and daughter were by the ship as it departed as I posted on board.
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Mrs. Barnes

why now that we are all interested is Mrs Barnes among the missing

I was gone on vacation for 8 days and got home last night. I don't believe that is called missing!
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Another thing, how did this employee know who her daughter was and why he would be sent to get her if her father was ill. I'm very suspicious of this whole thing.

He did not know who my daughter was and just picked her out of a group of people and said your dad is sick! He had seen her with us during cruise and singled her out!
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Yes you can e-mail me anytime. I posted about my daughter so other's that cruise with their family know you can't think just because you are at sea that you are safe and your precious family is too. Bad things do happen sometimes and we did have a bad experience that could have turned out much worse than it did. Thank God our daughter got away fromhim are she could be missing still like the girl is now that was on family vacation. They still have not found her. We loves cruises and have taken 4 since then but they were not on Holland America and never will be again.
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Mrs. Barnes

I would never lie and make up something like this. Get your head out of the sand!
Old January 12th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Default Missing girl

Missing
Amy Lynn Bradley
REWARD! $250,000.00

(QUARTER OF A MILLION US DOLLARS)

Contact Us
Updates

Post This
REWARD
Flyer

HELP US
FIND AMY

Link To Us

Photos

This Website
is a public
service from:

TGGWEB

Check out:
AbilityHub

YOU CAN HELP - TELL a Friend

ABC PRIMETIME --- will air a large segment on Amy on Thursday, December 19, 2002.

If you know ANYTHING about Amy's disappearence, or where she is, we beg you to write to us at TeamAmy@hotmail.com or call us collect at (804) 276-8503.

Also if you were on the same cruise ship as our family [Royal Caribbean, Rhapsody of the Seas, March 21-28, 1998], please write to us at TeamAmy@hotmail.com or call us collect at (804) 276-8503.

You can also use WeTip to anonymously submit your information.

We will protect your identity, we promise. Your information may save our daughter Amy's life.

Foul Play Suspected
in the mysterious disappearance
of U.S. citizen in the Caribbean

FOUL PLAY is suspected in the March 24, 1998, mysterious disappearance of AMY LYNN BRADLEY...a vibrant, beautiful and intelligent 23 years young girl who recently graduated college and has a very promising future. She was on a vacation cruise with her family in the Caribbean at the time of her disappearance.

AMY is an American citizen who 'vanished' while aboard a foreign vessel in international waters. She was leisurely traveling with her mother, father and younger brother aboard the cruise ship Rhapsody of the Seas (a Norwegian Flag Ship) which is owned and operated by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines of Miami, Florida. The cruise ship was near docking procedures into port in the island of Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, the Caribbean. It is known that Amy left her Cabin in the wee hours of the morning of March 24, 1998, with her cigarettes and lighter...predictably she was not wearing shoes because where she thought she was going, she would not be gone long and would not need her shoes. This is where the mystery begins! Who was Amy going to meet at this time of the morning? Why would she take her cigarettes and lighter? There are many questions here that need answering, but unfortunately neither Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines nor any Government authorities are providing any answers and, at this time, it appears that neither of these entities are making any inquiries at all regarding Amy's disappearance.

It is known that the last person seen with Amy in the early hours of the morning was a cruise ship band member of a group known as 'Blue Orchid' by the name of 'Yellow'...and, there were other crew members who spent time with Amy, as well...Katalin (from Hungary); Eduardo Cabrito (a waiter); David Cato (a waiter); and, Patrick (a waiter).

It is also known that Amy had no reason to run away...her background and her family's backgrounds have been checked thoroughly by the FBI and Amy shows no signs of a 'runaway profile' nor are any of the Bradley family members suspect. One scenario suggests that Amy may have willingly met with a crew member who she had come to trust who then put her in a position of coercion, or even more probable, Amy may have observed an illegal activity and become a liability.

There are many unanswered questions that require answers. Why would a multi-million cruise line not help in the search for Amy? To this date Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, owners of the cruise ship, have not cooperated at all with the Bradley family by way of information or assistance or cooperation.

Mainstream media is taking a very close look at Amy Bradley's disappearance.

The bottom line is that Ron and Iva Bradley went on the Rhapsody of the Seas cruise ship to the Caribbean in March of 1998 and came back to their home in Virginia WITHOUT their daughter, Amy. Brother Brad came home to Virginia WITHOUT his sister, Amy.

Amy Bradley's disappearance is indeed a mystery! As to what has happened to Amy...it is believed that there are certain individuals in the Caribbean and possibly even South America who have knowledge of Amy's whereabouts.

If you have information or know someone who knows something, PLEASE contact us by the telephone, fax or e-mail listed below. If you are having difficulties with e-mail, please try our submission form.

THERE IS A $250,000.00 (QUARTER OF A MILLION US DOLLARS) REWARD FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO AMY'S SAFE RETURN. THERE IS ALSO A $50,000.00 (FIFTY THOUSAND US DOLLARS) REWARD FOR INFORMATION LEADING TO HER VERIFIABLE LOCATION.

CONTRIBUTIONS TO HELP IN THE SEARCH FOR AMY CAN BE MADE TO:

FIND AMY BRADLEY
NMCO
Nation's Missing Children's Organization & Center for Missing Adults
2432 W. Peoria Ave.
Suite 1283
Phoenix, AZ 85029

1-800-690-FIND

This information was provided by the team searching for Amy Bradley on behalf of her family.

Contact Information
Hot Line +(804) 276 8503
Fax +(804) 745 6133
Primary E-mail TeamAmy@hotmail.com
WeTip http://www.wetip.com/
@ TGGWEB.COM http://www.tggweb.com/amybradley/
URL @ FBI http://www.fbi.gov/mostwant/kidnap/current/bradley.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Full Story | Updates | Amy's Photos

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old January 12th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Default Here are just a few!

Cruise Ships Rapes - A Legal Nightmare

A Legal Prospective:

Cruise ships are becoming an increasingly popular method of vacationing for many Americans. Unfortunately many find themselves a helpless victim of a sexual assault. Often times these rapes occur in the passengers assigned room with the use of a pass key, in the walkways, inner corridors, and restrooms . Those who are injured may find themselves confronted with a thicket of legal hurdles which may prevent them from receiving any relief for the harm that has been suffered.
Monetary recovery against the cruise line it often governed by numerous legal hurdles and documents including but not limited to:

1. Cruise Ticket;
2. Contract of Carriage;
3. Itinerary for Travel;
4. Contract of Motorcar, Carriage, and Transportation Contract;
5. Shortened Statute of Limitations for Filing a Claim;
6. Forum selection clause ( the place the suit MUST be brought );
ie. Miami, Houston, Jamaica, Isle of Congo......etc;
7. Full and Complete Documentation of the event and injury;
8. Prompt written Notice of the claim as soon after the event as possible
9. Names of Witnesses to the accident :
10. Does the Jones Act or General Maritime laws apply ? AND
10. A TIMELY FILED CLAIM OR SUIT against the correct entities in the proper venue.

While not every harm or injury on a cruise ship requires the assistance of a lawyer, claims concerning serious permanent injuries, sexual assaults (rape) and deaths need the immediate attention of a lawyer skilled in the area of maritime personal injuries. Many of the cases against the cruiseline industry involve complex maritime legal issues, contract law, products liability and general negligence issues.
Cruise ship operators and their insurance carriers aggressively investigate and defend any claims brought against them. The injured should be well advised to retain a lawyer to represent their own interests soon after the event, so as to allow time to adequately investigate the event and interview potential witnesses.

If you have been assaulted or suffered a serious personal injury while you were a passenger on a cruise ship, then you may have a legal claim for monetary damages against the owners and operators of the cruise ship and others. You must however act quickly. Call for a free confidential consultation.

1 (800) 883-9858
or (713) 654-4040 (Houston)

Rape charges dropped
against cruise ship workers
LOS ANGELES -- Federal prosecutors have dropped charges filed against two Carnival Cruise Line employees accused of raping two female passengers aboard the cruise ship Elation.

"After reviewing all the evidence in the case, we concluded it would not be appropriate to indict these two men," U.S. attorney's spokesman Thom Mrozek said Tuesday.

He did not elaborate on what led prosecutors to drop the charges.

Attack alleged
The women, who are in their 20s, told the FBI that crew members Desmond Abraham and Julio Delgado attacked them May 3 while the ship was docked off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The names of the women were not released.

The FBI arrested the pair after the ship arrived in Los Angeles on May 7 after a seven-day cruise that included stops in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Abraham, a steward from Dominica in the West Indies, and Delgado, a bellman from Nicaragua, had maintained their innocence since their arrests.

Crew denials
They said the women approached them in a hall of the ship and began kissing them. Both said they kissed the women but denied having sex with them.

Ship doctor Jamie King examined the women shortly after the alleged incident. In an affidavit, he said did not detect any bruising or bleeding or traces of semen.

The men were fired by the Miami-based cruise line following the rape allegations. Although the men will not face criminal charges, Carnival officials said the firings would stand.

"They violated ships rules. Whether they are charged or not is irrelevant," Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said. "The crew is not allowed to fraternize with guests. They did acknowledge fraternizing with guests, and on that basis they were fired.

Source: KTVU/Fox2 and Associated Press

St. Louis Post-Dispatch April 22, 2000 FLORIDA SUPREME COURT GIVES STATE OK TO PROSECUTE CRIME ON CRUISE SHIP

* The court upholds a state law that triggers Florida's jurisdiction on ships outside
territorial waters, in a case involving a sexual assault on a
13-year-old girl. Florida can prosecute a man for crimes he's
accused of committing on a cruise ship 100 miles offshore,
the state Supreme Court ruled.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch May 10, 2000

TWO CREW MEMBERS ARE CHARGED WITH RAPING TWO WOMEN ON CRUISE SHIP

Two Carnival Cruise Line employees have been charged with raping two female passengers aboard the cruise ship Elation while it was docked off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The women, who are in their 20s, told the FBI that crew members Desmond Abraham and Julio Delgado followed them into a cabin, tore their clothes off and assaulted them after they returned from shore drunk on May 3.

Cruise Ship Crew Members Charged With Rape
Two Passengers Allege Assault in Cabin

May 9, 2000

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Two Carnival Cruise Line employees have been charged with raping two female passengers aboard the cruise ship Elation while it was docked off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

The women, who are in their 20s, told the FBI that crew members Desmond Abraham and Julio Delgado followed them into a cabin, tore their clothes off and assaulted them after they returned from shore drunk on May 3.

The crew members left the cabin after the alleged assault, the women said, and one of the women called her father, who was on board. The FBI arrested the men after the ship arrived here Sunday after a seven-day cruise that included stops in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Abraham was ordered held without bail Monday by U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles Eick. Delgado will be held at least until a detention hearing Thursday. Arraignment is scheduled for May 30.

In affidavits filed Monday, Abraham, of Dominica in the West Indies, and Delgado, of Nicaragua, denied the charges. They said the women approached them in a hall of the ship and began kissing them. Both said they kissed the women but denied having sex with them.

Ship's doctor Jamie King examined the women shortly after the alleged incident. In an affidavit, he said did not detect any bruising or bleeding or traces of semen.

Officials with Carnival Cruise Lines, based in Miami, said they have fired Abraham and Delgado and are cooperating with the investigation.

Court Gives Fla. Jurisdiction in Cruise Assault
State Can Prosecute High Seas Burglary, Sex Attack Case

April 21, 2000

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida can prosecute a man for crimes he's accused of committing on a cruise ship 100 miles offshore, the state Supreme Court ruled.

"Florida's tourism industry could be significantly affected if crimes that occur on board cruise ships where a majority of the fare-paying passengers embark and disembark in Florida were to go unprosecuted," Justice Barbara Pariente wrote in the ruling issued Thursday.

Matthew Stepansky was charged with burglary and attempted sexual battery of a 13-year-old aboard the M/V Atlantic during a New Year's Day cruise that he took with his parents in 1997.

The Liberian-registered cruise ship, owned by Premier Cruise Lines of the British West Indies, had embarked from Port Canaveral and was returning to that same port.

Outside territorial waters Stepansky, who lives outside Chicago, was charged under state law even though the ship was outside Florida's territorial waters, which stretch three miles off the state's Atlantic coastline.

In its ruling, the state's highest court upheld a state law that triggers Florida's jurisdiction on ships outside territorial waters if half the people on the ship boarded in Florida and planned to disembark in Florida -- and if no other government was prosecuting.

The defense had argued that only the federal government could prosecute a crime on the high seas. A trial court had rejected that argument and refused to dismiss the charges, but the 5th District Court of Appeal sided with Stepansky, agreeing that Florida does not have jurisdiction. Florida's high court ruling overturned that appellate decision.

Constitution allows punishment "The Constitution's grant of power to Congress to 'define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on high Seas' ... does not preclude states from punishing an act that also violates the state's laws," Pariente wrote for the 5-2 majority.

Pariente also dismissed allegations by Stepansky that state prosecution would violate the 1958 Geneva Convention on the High Seas.

Stepansky's lawyer, Robin C. Lemonidis, said she would ask the court to reconsider but didn't know if she would pursue other appeals or decide to go to trial.

Man Charged With Cruise Sex Crime
Accusation Comes on Heels of Carnival Report

Oct. 29, 1999

MIAMI (AP) -- An Italian citizen has been charged with sexual misconduct over an incident involving an American woman while the two were passengers on a cruise ship.

The federal indictment accuses Salvatore DeRosa of Naples, Italy, of committing abusive sexual contact Oct. 16 during a voyage of the Carnival Cruise Line's MS Destiny in U.S. territorial waters.

Details about the alleged incident were not disclosed in a statement released Thursday by the U.S. attorney's office. It was unclear if DeRosa was already in custody, or if officials would decide to seek him abroad. The charge can carry a six-month prison term and a fine of up to $5,000.

All crimes must be reported.The charge comes three months after Carnival officials released a report saying 108 sexual assaults had been committed aboard its ships over a five-year period.

Under a policy enacted by the International Council of Cruise Lines in July, the same month the Carnival report was released, all crimes allegedly committed aboard cruise ships must be reported to the FBI. Previously, victims were expected to report crimes once they arrived back in port.

CRUISE LINE ADMITS SEX ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS
Acknowledged Investigating 62 Incidents

July 14, 1999

NEW YORK (AP) -- Carnival Cruise Lines has disclosed that its crew members were accused of sexual assault 62 times in a five-year span ending last summer -- or just about once per month, The New York Times reported today.

The number, included in court papers filed Tuesday in Miami, is the first such public disclosure by a cruise line, the newspaper said. Such ships are often registered abroad, and safety figures aren't reported to U.S. authorities.

Carnival, the world's largest cruise company, said it had investigated the 62 incidents, ending last August, but did not release details. The alleged attacks involved passengers and employees.

A lawyer for the cruise line, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation in Miami, said the accusations were taken seriously.

"Any allegation would be taken seriously, but do these statistics suggest that Carnival ships are unsafe? Absolutely not," said Curtis Mase, the lawyer.

Accused of cover up

In November, Carnival responded to accusations that it covered up assault claims by saying it is "at least 10 times more likely for a sexual assault to occur in a small town in America than on a cruise ship."

Accused crew members are sometimes put ashore at the next port with air fare to get home, the Times reported, and industry lawyers are flown to the ship to question accusers. The cruise lines aggressively contest lawsuits and insist on secrecy as a condition of settling.

There are also jurisdictional disputes and questions.

The papers are part of a lawsuit against the company by a former employee who said she was attacked by an officer aboard a Carnival ship last August.

The man has been indicted on aggravated sexual assault charges, the Times said, but he remains in Italy.

Cruise Ship Worker Charged With Rape
Incident Happened In June 1998
ORLANDO, Posted 12:24 p.m. EDT August 23, 2000 --A former Cape Canaveral Cruise Line worker faces federal charges of raping a female passenger two years ago.

Garland George Curtis is charged with aggravated sexual abuse in the June 1998 assault. The victim was a passenger aboard the cruise line's Dolphin Four.

The 718-passenger Dolphin Four departs from Port Canaveral for two and four-day trips to the Bahamas and Key West.

Carnival Cruise Lines reports 62 alleged sex assaults in 5 years

MIAMI -- In a rare look at crime aboard the nation's growing cruise fleet, Carnival Cruise Lines reported in court papers filed yesterday that its crew members were accused of sexually assaulting passengers and fellow workers aboard its ships 62 times in a five- year period that ended last August, a rate of nearly once a month. The statistics represent the first public disclosure by a cruise line about the number of alleged rapes and other sexual assaults that occur on cruises. Industry officials have said cruises are safe, but there have been no figures because big cruise ships are registered in foreign countries and are not required to report all incidents to U.S. authorities. There has been growing criticism by crime victims and others that the industry covers up crime on its cruises. Officials of the FBI said last year that they had investigated fewer than two accusations of rape a month in the port of Miami, the nation's busiest cruise passenger center. Carnival Cruise Lines, a subsidiary of the Miami-based Carnival Corp., said in court papers that it investigated the 62 incidents but did not disclose the results or say whether any arrests were made. The figures did not include accusations involving only passengers. Carnival produced its numbers in connection with a lawsuit in Miami against the company by a former crew member who says she was raped and sodomized by an officer aboard Carnival's Imagination last Aug. 13.
Old January 12th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to Brandis

Mrs. Barnes

I never said I doubted you. I was just waiting to hear more. As a matter of fact this issue does concern me. Carnival was sort of getting the reputation of "Rape Capital of the Seas" for awhile there. This issue does concern me having three young daughters and wanting them to stay in a cabin by themselves so their father and I can have more privacy and space. I watch the court case on Court TV about the woman claiming she was raped on the Carnival Fascination in her cabin. I couldn't tell if she was telling the truth or not, but it did concern me that at night when my daughters may be sleeping a crew member could sneak into the cabin and do something to them.
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:28 PM
Mrs. Barnes

I think you have to just be careful no matter where are what you are doing today. I would suggest getting ajoining rooms and have your daughters in one and your hubby and you in other room.
Old January 12th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Mrs. Barnes

Default rapes on cruise ships

Rape charges dropped
against cruise ship workers
LOS ANGELES -- Federal prosecutors have dropped charges filed against two Carnival Cruise Line employees accused of raping two female passengers aboard the cruise ship Elation.

"After reviewing all the evidence in the case, we concluded it would not be appropriate to indict these two men," U.S. attorney's spokesman Thom Mrozek said Tuesday.

He did not elaborate on what led prosecutors to drop the charges.

Attack alleged
The women, who are in their 20s, told the FBI that crew members Desmond Abraham and Julio Delgado attacked them May 3 while the ship was docked off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The names of the women were not released.

The FBI arrested the pair after the ship arrived in Los Angeles on May 7 after a seven-day cruise that included stops in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Abraham, a steward from Dominica in the West Indies, and Delgado, a bellman from Nicaragua, had maintained their innocence since their arrests.

Crew denials
They said the women approached them in a hall of the ship and began kissing them. Both said they kissed the women but denied having sex with them.

Ship doctor Jamie King examined the women shortly after the alleged incident. In an affidavit, he said did not detect any bruising or bleeding or traces of semen.

The men were fired by the Miami-based cruise line following the rape allegations. Although the men will not face criminal charges, Carnival officials said the firings would stand.

"They violated ships rules. Whether they are charged or not is irrelevant," Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said. "The crew is not allowed to fraternize with guests. They did acknowledge fraternizing with guests, and on that basis they were fired.

Source: KTVU/Fox2 and Associated Press

St. Louis Post-Dispatch April 22, 2000 FLORIDA SUPREME COURT GIVES STATE OK TO PROSECUTE CRIME ON CRUISE SHIP

* The court upholds a state law that triggers Florida's jurisdiction on ships outside
territorial waters, in a case involving a sexual assault on a
13-year-old girl. Florida can prosecute a man for crimes he's
accused of committing on a cruise ship 100 miles offshore,
the state Supreme Court ruled.

St. Louis Post-Dispatch May 10, 2000

TWO CREW MEMBERS ARE CHARGED WITH RAPING TWO WOMEN ON CRUISE SHIP

Two Carnival Cruise Line employees have been charged with raping two female passengers aboard the cruise ship Elation while it was docked off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The women, who are in their 20s, told the FBI that crew members Desmond Abraham and Julio Delgado followed them into a cabin, tore their clothes off and assaulted them after they returned from shore drunk on May 3.

Cruise Ship Crew Members Charged With Rape
Two Passengers Allege Assault in Cabin

May 9, 2000

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Two Carnival Cruise Line employees have been charged with raping two female passengers aboard the cruise ship Elation while it was docked off the coast of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

The women, who are in their 20s, told the FBI that crew members Desmond Abraham and Julio Delgado followed them into a cabin, tore their clothes off and assaulted them after they returned from shore drunk on May 3.

The crew members left the cabin after the alleged assault, the women said, and one of the women called her father, who was on board. The FBI arrested the men after the ship arrived here Sunday after a seven-day cruise that included stops in Cabo San Lucas, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan.

Abraham was ordered held without bail Monday by U.S. Magistrate Judge Charles Eick. Delgado will be held at least until a detention hearing Thursday. Arraignment is scheduled for May 30.

In affidavits filed Monday, Abraham, of Dominica in the West Indies, and Delgado, of Nicaragua, denied the charges. They said the women approached them in a hall of the ship and began kissing them. Both said they kissed the women but denied having sex with them.

Ship's doctor Jamie King examined the women shortly after the alleged incident. In an affidavit, he said did not detect any bruising or bleeding or traces of semen.

Officials with Carnival Cruise Lines, based in Miami, said they have fired Abraham and Delgado and are cooperating with the investigation.

Court Gives Fla. Jurisdiction in Cruise Assault
State Can Prosecute High Seas Burglary, Sex Attack Case

April 21, 2000

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida can prosecute a man for crimes he's accused of committing on a cruise ship 100 miles offshore, the state Supreme Court ruled.

"Florida's tourism industry could be significantly affected if crimes that occur on board cruise ships where a majority of the fare-paying passengers embark and disembark in Florida were to go unprosecuted," Justice Barbara Pariente wrote in the ruling issued Thursday.

Matthew Stepansky was charged with burglary and attempted sexual battery of a 13-year-old aboard the M/V Atlantic during a New Year's Day cruise that he took with his parents in 1997.

The Liberian-registered cruise ship, owned by Premier Cruise Lines of the British West Indies, had embarked from Port Canaveral and was returning to that same port.

Outside territorial waters Stepansky, who lives outside Chicago, was charged under state law even though the ship was outside Florida's territorial waters, which stretch three miles off the state's Atlantic coastline.

In its ruling, the state's highest court upheld a state law that triggers Florida's jurisdiction on ships outside territorial waters if half the people on the ship boarded in Florida and planned to disembark in Florida -- and if no other government was prosecuting.

The defense had argued that only the federal government could prosecute a crime on the high seas. A trial court had rejected that argument and refused to dismiss the charges, but the 5th District Court of Appeal sided with Stepansky, agreeing that Florida does not have jurisdiction. Florida's high court ruling overturned that appellate decision.

Constitution allows punishment "The Constitution's grant of power to Congress to 'define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on high Seas' ... does not preclude states from punishing an act that also violates the state's laws," Pariente wrote for the 5-2 majority.

Pariente also dismissed allegations by Stepansky that state prosecution would violate the 1958 Geneva Convention on the High Seas.

Stepansky's lawyer, Robin C. Lemonidis, said she would ask the court to reconsider but didn't know if she would pursue other appeals or decide to go to trial.

Man Charged With Cruise Sex Crime
Accusation Comes on Heels of Carnival Report

Oct. 29, 1999

MIAMI (AP) -- An Italian citizen has been charged with sexual misconduct over an incident involving an American woman while the two were passengers on a cruise ship.

The federal indictment accuses Salvatore DeRosa of Naples, Italy, of committing abusive sexual contact Oct. 16 during a voyage of the Carnival Cruise Line's MS Destiny in U.S. territorial waters.

Details about the alleged incident were not disclosed in a statement released Thursday by the U.S. attorney's office. It was unclear if DeRosa was already in custody, or if officials would decide to seek him abroad. The charge can carry a six-month prison term and a fine of up to $5,000.

All crimes must be reported.The charge comes three months after Carnival officials released a report saying 108 sexual assaults had been committed aboard its ships over a five-year period.

Under a policy enacted by the International Council of Cruise Lines in July, the same month the Carnival report was released, all crimes allegedly committed aboard cruise ships must be reported to the FBI. Previously, victims were expected to report crimes once they arrived back in port.

CRUISE LINE ADMITS SEX ASSAULT ALLEGATIONS
Acknowledged Investigating 62 Incidents

July 14, 1999

NEW YORK (AP) -- Carnival Cruise Lines has disclosed that its crew members were accused of sexual assault 62 times in a five-year span ending last summer -- or just about once per month, The New York Times reported today.

The number, included in court papers filed Tuesday in Miami, is the first such public disclosure by a cruise line, the newspaper said. Such ships are often registered abroad, and safety figures aren't reported to U.S. authorities.

Carnival, the world's largest cruise company, said it had investigated the 62 incidents, ending last August, but did not release details. The alleged attacks involved passengers and employees.

A lawyer for the cruise line, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation in Miami, said the accusations were taken seriously.

"Any allegation would be taken seriously, but do these statistics suggest that Carnival ships are unsafe? Absolutely not," said Curtis Mase, the lawyer.

Accused of cover up

In November, Carnival responded to accusations that it covered up assault claims by saying it is "at least 10 times more likely for a sexual assault to occur in a small town in America than on a cruise ship."

Accused crew members are sometimes put ashore at the next port with air fare to get home, the Times reported, and industry lawyers are flown to the ship to question accusers. The cruise lines aggressively contest lawsuits and insist on secrecy as a condition of settling.

There are also jurisdictional disputes and questions.

The papers are part of a lawsuit against the company by a former employee who said she was attacked by an officer aboard a Carnival ship last August.

The man has been indicted on aggravated sexual assault charges, the Times said, but he remains in Italy.

Cruise Ship Worker Charged With Rape
Incident Happened In June 1998
ORLANDO, Posted 12:24 p.m. EDT August 23, 2000 --A former Cape Canaveral Cruise Line worker faces federal charges of raping a female passenger two years ago.

Garland George Curtis is charged with aggravated sexual abuse in the June 1998 assault. The victim was a passenger aboard the cruise line's Dolphin Four.

The 718-passenger Dolphin Four departs from Port Canaveral for two and four-day trips to the Bahamas and Key West.

Carnival Cruise Lines reports 62 alleged sex assaults in 5 years

MIAMI -- In a rare look at crime aboard the nation's growing cruise fleet, Carnival Cruise Lines reported in court papers filed yesterday that its crew members were accused of sexually assaulting passengers and fellow workers aboard its ships 62 times in a five- year period that ended last August, a rate of nearly once a month. The statistics represent the first public disclosure by a cruise line about the number of alleged rapes and other sexual assaults that occur on cruises. Industry officials have said cruises are safe, but there have been no figures because big cruise ships are registered in foreign countries and are not required to report all incidents to U.S. authorities. There has been growing criticism by crime victims and others that the industry covers up crime on its cruises. Officials of the FBI said last year that they had investigated fewer than two accusations of rape a month in the port of Miami, the nation's busiest cruise passenger center. Carnival Cruise Lines, a subsidiary of the Miami-based Carnival Corp., said in court papers that it investigated the 62 incidents but did not disclose the results or say whether any arrests were made. The figures did not include accusations involving only passengers. Carnival produced its numbers in connection with a lawsuit in Miami against the company by a former crew member who says she was raped and sodomized by an officer aboard Carnival's Imagination last Aug. 13.

July 29,1999

ALLEGED SEX CASES INVOLVE LOCAL SHIP CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE DISCLOSES 10 INCIDENTS ON FANTASY

Carnival Cruise Lines disclosed Wednesday that its crew members were involved in 10 cases of alleged sexual misconduct on a company cruise ship sailing out of Port Canaveral from 1993 to 1998. The incidents aboard Carnival's Fantasy consisted of two cases of alleged rape, three alleged kisses, two cases of alleged inappropriate touching, two cases of alleged sexual advances and one case of alleged inappropriate advances, according to Carnival records the company released at the request of Florida Today.

Florida wins right to prosecute crimes committed on cruise ships

Apr. 21, 2000

TALLAHASSEE -- In a ruling that may help answer murky jurisdictional questions, the Florida Supreme Court said the state can prosecute people for crimes committed on cruise ships that sail outside the state's waters.
Even when a ship is of foreign registry and sails outside Florida's jurisdiction, the state can prosecute crimes committed on the high seas if the ship sails in and out of Florida ports and neither the federal government nor a foreign government pursues the cases, the court ruled on Thursday.
The high court's 6-1 decision upholds a 1995 state law that spells out when Florida officials can prosecute cruise ship crimes.
"In Florida it's certainly a precedent," said Richard Polin, the assistant attorney general who argued the case before the high court last October. "It essentially says ... that at least the state attorney's offices in Florida would be in a position of prosecuting such crimes.
"I think anyone who has been here long enough knows the potential impacts crimes can have on the tourist industry," he said.
Growing awareness over crimes committed on the high seas and questions over who has jurisdiction to prosecute them are plaguing the cruise ship industry. Documents from a lawsuit involving Carnival Cruise Lines last year disclosed that company reported 62 sexual assaults on its ships over a five-year period, a frequency of about one assault each month.
Federal officials often do not get involved in cruise ship cases because they don't have offices staffed by investigators nearby, said Brevard County State Attorney Norm Wolfinger, whose office filed the charges in the case heard by the state Supreme Court.
When long-distance travel is involved, it's difficult for federal investigators to follow up on complaints or get to the case while it's fresh, he said.
"We recognize the problem, but you're dealing with complicated matters and jurisdictional issues," Wolfinger said.
The case before the Florida Supreme Court involved a 1997 New Year's cruise out of Port Canaveral on the M/V Atlantic, a Liberian-registered ship owned by Premier Cruise Lines Ltd. of the British West Indies.
Matthew Stepansky, an Illinois resident on vacation with his parents, was arrested on charges of burglary and attempted rape of a 13-year-old girl. The incident occurred about 100 miles off the East Coast.
Stepansky was asleep in his parents' cabin when the assault occurred down the hall from his room, his attorney said.
Neither the United States nor Liberia pursued a case against Stepansky.
Stepansky argued that the U.S. Constitution and international maritime law prevent the state from prosecuting him. A trial judge dismissed Stepansky's claim, but the Fifth District Court of Appeal reversed that ruling.
"In this case, if the state were precluded from prosecuting Stepansky, this crime could go unpunished," Supreme Court Justice Barbara Pariente wrote for the majority.
In a dissenting opinion, Justice Charles Wells said the majority misinterpreted federal law in asserting Florida could prosecute Stepansky.
"Neither the principles of federalism nor the effects doctrine affords Florida the authority to assert jurisdiction over a nonresident of Florida for maritime criminal matters extending beyond the state's territorial limits," Wells wrote.
Robin Lemonidis, Stepansky's attorney, said there's "a good possibility" they will appeal the state high court's ruling to the United States Supreme Court.
A spokesman for Premier Cruise Lines declined comment on the ruling.
In 1988, prosecutors convinced the Legislature to give the state power to pursue crimes on cruise ships sailing out of Florida when other jurisdictions fail to do so, Wolfinger said. The law was revised in 1995.
"Tourists now know they can be afforded the same protections just as if they were victims of crime on land," Wolfinger said.

Carnival? Try....Criminal..!
What happens when a female passenger is assaulted on a cruise ship? Not much.
By Tristram Korten

After four days of looping around the Caribbean, the Carnival Cruise Lines ship Fascination eased into its berth at Port Canaveral, Florida, on the morning of July 23, 1998. Legions of flushed, sunburned tourists descended the gangplank, luxuriating, no doubt, in the last few hours of their tropical escape before returning north and west into America's belly. Long after the last sun-drunk vacationer sped off in a shuttle bus to the hotel, Mary lingered in her cabin as the fog of sedatives gradually wore off.
For most of the journey Mary had been a virtual prisoner. She rarely ventured outside, ordering all her meals from room service. Throughout the day she swallowed tranquilizers prescribed by the ship's doctor.

This was not what she had anticipated.

The recently widowed housewife from Georgia had invited her daughter-in-law Janice (both women's names have been changed for this story) on the $1200 vacation following a tragic year. First Mary's husband of fifteen years suffered a fatal heart attack during the spring. Six weeks later her father died. Then, on July 1, Janice had a miscarriage. Both women hoped the sea air and unbroken horizon would provide a salty balm.

Instead their journey mutated into a fear-filled odyssey.

On the night the ship left port, a cabin steward named Juan Arietta carried the women's bags to their room. He questioned Janice about Mary. "He asked if she was married and did I think she liked him," Janice recalls. "He kind of gave me the creeps." Later Arietta returned and knocked. He said he needed some papers signed so the women could use the room's safe. Janice left to explore the ship.

Then, Mary claims in her lawsuit, Arietta made his intentions known. Violently. She asserts the eight-year Carnival employee, whom the company says had a spotless record, pushed her down on one of the beds and raped her. She reported the incident immediately to ship personnel, who questioned Arietta. He denied the charge. The vessel was not outfitted with a rape kit, which includes tools to preserve evidence and is commonly used for examining victims, so the ship's doctor performed a pelvic exam.

The next day the Fascination docked in Freeport, Bahamas. Officers handed Mary and Janice a bag containing the only evidence they had collected: the dress and underwear Mary had worn the night before. They hadn't interviewed any passengers, nor had they removed the sheets from Mary's bed. A taxi took the two women to a doctor's office, where they waited for hours without seeing a doctor. Finally the cabbie drove the women to a hospital, where a physician did a second exam. Hospital workers kept the bundle of clothes.

Ship authorities clearly weren't looking out for Mary's best interests, Janice maintains, especially when they prescribed the downers. "They did it to keep her quiet, so she wouldn't go around upsetting people on the ship," adds the young woman, who was nineteen years old at the time. "I knew what they were doing."

When Mary and Janice walked off the ship in Florida, they were led to a trailer, where FBI agent Cliff Botyos and his partner awaited them. The investigators listened to the women's stories and determined the outlook was not promising. Potential witnesses were not interviewed, valuable evidence was not gathered, the crime scene wasn't secured, and the clothing had been left behind in a foreign land. The lawmen decided they had no choice but to drop their probe. (Eighteen months later Bahamian authorities still have not released the results of the rape test.)

Carnival, meanwhile, flew Arietta back to Costa Rica. His superiors termed the trip "medical leave."

Later that year Mary sued the cruise company in Palm Beach Circuit Court, accusing it of negligence and "spoilation of evidence." She alleged Carnival intentionally flubbed the investigation. "This sort of incompetence happens so often, it implies to me there's almost a conscious pattern of indifference, if not concealment," says her Lake Worth lawyer, Michael Eriksen, who has handled nearly a dozen sexual-assault cases against cruise lines. "It's a criminal-investigation system that's almost calculated to fail."

Carnival executives emphatically insist they do everything in their power to cooperate with authorities, especially when crew members are suspects. "We don't want to give even the slightest appearance that we're covering things up or not interested in full disclosure and justice in each of these cases," Carnival president Bob Dickinson said during a deposition in a recent civil lawsuit. In that case a ship's nurse accused an engineer of sodomizing her during a 1998 voyage. Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Steve Levine ordered Carnival to disclose more than 100 allegations of sexual impropriety by crew members -- from gropings to rapes -- that had occurred during the past five years. Responding to those numbers, Dickinson proudly noted, "[T]here was not one criminal investigation or one criminal trial that resulted in a guilty verdict in any of these allegations."

That's a telling statement. Despite 22 accusations of forcible rape, not one person was successfully prosecuted. While Dickinson may boast of the record, lawyers who have confronted Carnival say the reason is less than admirable: The company thwarts investigations to protect itself from civil lawsuits and damaging publicity. "How do you expect to get a conviction when you're starting four or five days late, the evidence is cold, and suspects disappear?" says Charles Harris, a former chief of security for Carnival, who has testified against the company in numerous cases. The faulty investigations, he adds, are "by design. If they wanted [these cases probed] they could do it."
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:56 PM
nvan

The Amsterdam sailed out of Seattle last year not Vancouver.
Old January 12th, 2003, 11:59 PM
Passenger

The Amsterdam sails out of Seattle, not Vancouver.
Old January 13th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Mrs. Barnes

The Amsterdam sails out of Seattle, not Vancouver.

I have never said this happened last year as someone wrote me. When we took the ship to Alaska it left port in Vancover and to that very rude man that e-mailed me and called me a liar you are very rude. I sure did not share about my daughter to cause problems but to let others know to be careful.
Old January 13th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Sorry "Mrs. Barnes"--I just think your story has some --shall we say, some holes in it.
And, why wait a year or years to report it ?
Goodbye.
Old January 14th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Mrs. Barnes

Author: Ron
Date: 01-13-03 21:35

Sorry "Mrs. Barnes"--I just think your story has some --shall we say, some holes in it.
And, why wait a year or years to report it ?
Goodbye.

We reported the incident and filled out papers that we were given. We were told he would be fired and would not be allowed to work the rest of cruise which had 2 days remaining. He was working still because we saw him in main dining room so we returned to our rooms and had room service.
Old January 14th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Admiral

I have recieved two personal e-mails from "Mrs. Barnes". I have asked her to please refrain from anymore in a personal e-mail to her. I am asking again here, publicly, to please refrain from e-mailing me personally.
Has anyone else had this problem, or am I the only lucky one?
Old January 14th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, I have. I replied to a poster in a different thread in which Mrs. Barnes also was a poster. I was not replying to her at all, but to the originator of the thread, which clearly showed up as that on the thread and list of posts. I then received a personal email from Mrs. Barnes complaining that I had emailed her directly and why did I do that! What is happening is that she checked the 'email me replies' box but didn't understand that she would receive an email from the site of all replies in that thread. When she gets these emails from the site she thinks they are coming directly from the person to her and then she replies personally to them. I emailed her back to explain it to her, but she has a great deal of confusion (to put it nicely) as to how this site works.
Old January 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM
First Mate

No, Ron, you weren't the only one. I also had 2, but have blocked her address.