Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Yeoman

Default Zaamdam

Doing Zaamdam out of Port Canaveral next month. First time with HAL. Spoiled by Raddison, overwhelmed by Disney, underwhelmed by Royal Carribean.

Anything you know now that you wished you knew before sailing? How formal is formal? Is the service as bad as some of the reviews imply? How to beat the system during embarkation/debarkation.

I hate surprises. That's why I never do anything for the first time.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Zaamdam

OK, its Zaandam and Caribbean.
Old February 6th, 2003, 11:32 PM
Admiral

We sailed the Zaandam out of Canaveral about a year or so ago. We are experienced cruisers ( 22) and had no complaints. The food, waitstaff, cabin steward and everyone we had contact with was fine. Sounds like you have cruised some so you know there are those who complain because they think it's expected of them.
The embarkation / disembarkation shouldn't be a problem for you.
Canaveral is an easy port to go through.
Can't compare to Raddison as have never been on same but there won't be kids galore as on Disney and I think you will be pleased to find you have stepped up a couple of steps from Royal Carb.
Take a deep breath, relax, go with the flow and all will be well.
Old February 9th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Captain

We cruised Zaandam two times last year when she was still sailing from FLL on ten day itineraries. We love the ship, her crew, dining, flowers and and and

We'd go again without hesitation.
Old February 9th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Bob Currie

Hmmm, how do you ever do anything if you won't do anything for the first time??? Seriously, the Zaandam is a wonderful ship and you will enjoy it completely. Be sure to check out the Crow's Nest, it is the best place on the ship.
Old February 10th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Yeoman

Thanks - How is the Lido in the evening to escape formal nights?
Old February 10th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Bob Currie

Default Re: Re: Zaamdam

We only ate in the dinning room 2 nights on our 10 day cruise as we like to dine when we want. The food was very good. The Zaandam is our favorite ship.
Old February 11th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Borden and Monica

Default Re: Re: Re: Zaamdam

I hope I can say the same after Oct. 25 - that being it is my favorite ship
Old February 11th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Yeoman

Holland America appears to be our kind of cruise line. Cruise agent thinks Celebrity might be a better fit. Will see after 4/29.
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Sharon Hite

Favorite line is a matter of choice, but having sailed both Celebrity and HAL, I think HAL is much better. I found the service and the food on my HAL cruises to be way ahead of Celebrity. Heck, I thought service and food on Carnival was better than my Celebrity cruises.

Sharon

Zaandam - April 5, 2003
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:02 AM
BobMartha

Default Re: Re: Re: Zaamdam

Don G
Noticed you sailed Disney - are you sailing on the Zaandam with any children? Thinking of booking her next Feb and will be traveling with my 8 and 6 yr old. They loved the Maasdam last yr and we are booked on the Zuiderdam this August that has extensive Club Hal facilities - so going back to ship with "makeshift" Club Hal facilities may be a disappointment for my two?
Old March 6th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Yeoman

Will be sailing on Zaandam as a couple. Did Disney as a four day reconnoiter before booking entire family. Always wanted to sail with HAL and ran out of excuses now that they are at Port Canaveral.

Our kids were raised on Disney and are excited about a family cruise. Grandkids are a bit more ambivalent. If we are impressed with Zaandam, they may find themselves on her.

Never, ever promise tiny grandchildren a cruise when they are old enough. They grow up!
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:33 AM
GLRounds

DonG says:

"Never, ever promise tiny grandchildren a cruise when they are old enough. They grow up!"
__________________________________________________ _______________

ROFLMAO, I know exactly what you mean. On our first cruise, when my son was 8-9 years old and having such a great time, I promised him a cruise for his honeymoon when he gets married.

Now he's 23 and everytime he starts getting serious with his girlfriend of the month, I think UH-OH ! ! <grin>

Gary
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:50 PM
First Mate

*Don G*

Really don't see the merit of checking out a cruise before taking the kids - your attitude and the people you meet play the biggest part of cruise enjoyment in our book.

It's to be expected that kids love Disney - HAL does not specialize in kids although it does have kids and teens programmes - during school breaks they are in high gear - not necessarily so during other times of the year.
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Yeoman

Suki...like I said, I don't like surprises. That's why I never do anything for the first time.
Old March 9th, 2003, 03:51 PM
First Mate

DonG - you sound like my husband - always the tried and true can be dull - be a devil, take a chance - at least once in a while......................you might like it!
Old March 9th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Yeoman

For the thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars that I will be putting out for a family cruise, you better believe that I'm going to damn well know what I'm doing.

Your husband sounds like the one who earns the money.
Old March 9th, 2003, 10:08 PM
First Mate

No - I do my share! Difference is we don't have grandchldren! Concede you have a point in such circumstances :-)