Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Barb & Steve

Default Zaandam on March 16?

Hi!
We are planning to sail the Eastern Carib. on the Zaandam on March 16th. Is anyone else going at this time? Has anyone taken this cruise before and can you offer us any tips (such as the best place to book an inside our outside cabin)? Thanks in advance.
Barb & Steve.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Zaandam on March 16?

I am booked on this cruise I got my travel documents yesterday, and it leaves on March 15th. I have never cruised before so I can not give any advice but I am very excitted good luck!
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Yeoman

Leave the ship in one piece. We're sailing on the 29th.
Old February 17th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Lillian

We have sailed three times on the Zaandam and think it is the best ship for food and service. We always book a mini suite as my husband has diffaculty walking and we want to be close to the Lido deck. The lunches on the Lido are the best. Be sure to check out both sides of the buffet as they differ for both breakfast and lunch. In the morning they have an omelett bar on one side only and a pasta bar for lunch. The other side has a sandwich bar and ice cream bar. Be sure to see the Crows Nest lounge.
If you are smokers you will have a problem finding authorized smoking areas but other than an older crowd you should have a great time.
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Lillian

P.S.
My sister and brother in law had an outside cabin on the lowest deck and their room was as large as ours without the balcony. You will not be disappointed with this.
Old February 17th, 2003, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Make a reservation at the Marco Polo alternative restaurant. Outstanding food and service. Much better than the regular dining room IMHO.

I feel that balcony cabins are a must for cruising.

And it's a little hard to find and get to but there is a door allowing access to the bow of the ship by the bell....try and find it. A nice area to visit. I'm not 100% sure of this but it may be thru the front of the showroom and is unmarked.

Barb & Steve wrote:

> Hi!
> We are planning to sail the Eastern Carib. on the Zaandam on
> March 16th. Is anyone else going at this time? Has anyone taken
> this cruise before and can you offer us any tips (such as the
> best place to book an inside our outside cabin)? Thanks in
> advance.
> Barb & Steve.
Old February 17th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Yeoman

Understand they had to close access to the bow after the Titanic movie. Everyone wanted to be photographed doing the Leonardo DiCaprio King of the World thing.
Old February 17th, 2003, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Zaandam on March 16?

No, we'd gone after the movie had run its course (last summer). I was actually surprised that passengers were allowed out there. It was in Alaska and in Glacier Bay it was quite crowded. The rest of the cruise you could be out there alone. And it would have been difficult to go to the bow and do the "King" act. And foolish as well.
Old February 17th, 2003, 08:12 PM
Lindy

Default Re: Re: Re: Zaandam on March 16?

I will be cruising on the Zaandam on March 15th with a girlfriend, we are in a balcony cabin. We have other f riends in a suite. We can't wait!!!

If you don't care whether its an inside or outside a cat I is a great deal. The cabins are located on the lower promenade and listed as an inside. They are actually outside cabins with an obstructed view. You can look outside your window and probably get a
partial view, at least tell what the weather is and see people on the promenade. Another friend and her mom were going to try this, its a very reduced rate.
Old February 19th, 2003, 02:43 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Zaandam on March 16?

Online TA (can't say who) is offering Veendam and Zaandam for $379 7 day Caribbean INCLUDES PORT CHARGES with an AUTOMATIC UPGRADE TO AN OUTSIDE CABIN !

Great pricing, I'm on the West Coast so the airfare and last minute scheduling blows me out. Otherwise I'd jump on these "bottom-feeder" prices. As more new ships hit the market, this will probably be a common thing for older ships of all lines.

Gary