Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Yeoman

Default Zaandam embarkation

Documents say embarkation begins at 3pm for a 5:00 sailing. What time do they really begin embarking at Port Canaveral?

Has anyone filled in the immigration documents online and received a document granting "EXPRESS CHECK IN"? I did and received my guaranteed stateroom assignment and confirmed seating, although these are open on my tickets. Just what is express check in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Gizmo

Default Re: Zaandam embarkation

Hal ships usually begin boarding around 1:15.
Old February 18th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Barb & Steve

Hi Don,

We haven't filled out the immigration document yet but thanks for the tip - maybe they will assign our stateroom and seating as well!! When are you sailing? We are leaving on March 15th?

Barb & Steve
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Gizmo

Maybe they will have Express Check In lines at the dock for those that filled out the paper work on line.
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Zaandam embarkation

Barb & Steve - to check to see if they have assigned you a cabin, go into HAL's home page www.hollandamerica.com, click on Shore Excursions on the left hand side and then click on Book an Excursion. Fill in your booking number, etc. and your data information will come up - if they have assigned a cabin, which they probably have, it will be shown there.
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Yeoman

Barb & Steve....We are sailing 3/29. Give the Express Check In a shot and let us know how it works.

Looking at the immigration questionnaire (their spelling) from the HAL website, it says "bring printed form with you when boarding the ship".

Now I am in a quandary over if I should trust them and enjoy the ease and expediency of on line check in or go ahead and fill out the damn immigration forms that came in our documents just to be safe.
Old February 19th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Re: Re: Zaandam embarkation

Did the shore excursion thing and the cabin assignment agrees with the one on the immigration forms, so that must be where they are putting us. One category upgrade from what we paid for, not bad.

Web site boarding instructions say that if you have filled out the on line immigration forms you will indeed have express check in priviledges.

I would imagine if all 1440 passengers avail themselves of that service, it won't be very expressey.
Old February 19th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Passenger

I tried to look up my cabin assignment and it still said just "Guarantee", does anyone know when they assign them? Or do I have to wait till the day we borad? Thanks !
Old February 19th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Yeoman

Did you look in the places we've been talking about the past few days?
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Gizmo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Zaandam embarkation

Sometimes you can get your cabin ahead of time, and other times you can't. I had friends that sailed 2 months ago and they did not receive their's until they arrived at the dock.
Old February 19th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Barb & Steve

Hi Don,

We just sailed with Norweigan Cruise Line in December and we filled out the immigration form online and we filled out the form we received with our documents and brought it with us and they never asked for it! They had a copy with them. Just the same it's better to be safe than sorry - I would fill it out and bring it with.
Old March 5th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Sharon Hite

We've sailed HAL with a guarantee three times in the past. One time, I didn't find out my cabin number until I got to the pier. The other two times, I just found it out the day before. All three were great upgrades - 2 inside guarantees to an outside (one deluxe) and one outside guarantee to a deluxe outside.

Sharon

Zaandam - April 5, 2003
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:56 PM
First Mate

*Don G* why not fill in the oneline form as requested and, for good measure, also complete the forms that came with your documents - at best you won't need them - at worst you won't have to hold up the line to complete them!
Old March 8th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Yeoman

It seems that if all 1440 passengers fill out there forms online and receive express check in privileges, the quickest way to check in would be to go through with the lessor folk.

I've seen the longest lines at the "sailed with us before, therefore you are someone special" counter.
Old March 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
First Mate

Agree - that's why I cover both choices - and then go with the flow - the ship won't sail without me - at least it hasn't so far!
Old March 10th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Judy Tickel

Hello,

I just found this website. My husband and I are sailing on the Zaandam on March 15th (hello Barb and Steve), and I filled in the online forms, then printed them off. When I received our cruise package, the forms to fill out are exactly the same as the online forms. So since I have the printed copy, I am going to assume that I don't have to fill out the second copy.

This is our first experience cruising. We are so excited. Since my husband has a tiny, little bone on the bottom of his foot that is broken!!, we requested and received a handicap room. He is in a walking cast, and we don't think it will slow us down too much. But HAL has been wonderful about the handicap access room.

I've spent hours and hours on the web reading about cruises and Holland America. We decided that the Zaandam was our kind of ship. I'm so excited I can hardly sleep at night -- I may get to the ship and spend my vacation catching up on sleep!!

Counting the hours til we sail,
Judy and Bill
Old March 11th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Hi!
I just got off the Zaandam last Sat. - had a GREAT cruise - and I also filled out the form on line & the paper one that came with the Docs. There wasn't any special 'express' line. Everyone was filed through on line. When it was our turn, I asked which one they wanted & was told 'either would do'.
We used Arts Shuttle service (I was asking before we left if anyone heard of them) They were terrific! Were waiting for us as we went to claim our luggage at the airport , picked us up from our hotel & delivered us to the ship, then took us back to the airport the day we got off the ship. VERY dependable & very nice.
rocks
Old March 11th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Lindy

Rocks glad that you had a great trip on the Zaandam. We leave on Thursday to fly to Orlando, spending 2 nites in Cocoa Beach at the Doubletree. We board on Saturday,
March 15th, can't wait. What did the shuttle run for you. I have a quote of $140.00 for 4 round trip. Thanks
Old March 12th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Passenger

Hey Lindy!
You sure did pick a nice hotel! We had diner there one night & it was beautiful!
Our Arts Shuttle trip costs us $50.00 from airport to Cocoa Beach - $6.00 Hotel to ship -
and only $20.00 ship to airport. Those are prices for 2 (not per person) The trip after the cruise was so cheap b/c they had a large group booked & very nicely gave us the group rate. Their web site is : www.artsshuttle.com
Cocoa Beach is nice, but not much to do. For all the people traveling for cruises I thought it would be a decent sized beach town. It was very small and very quiet. But that was OK. We rested up & partied on the ship!
If you happen to come across some of my new Bartender friends, please say 'Dan & Pat from PA says HI'! Ramil (back pool bar), Alvin (Marco Polo), Fabian & Rod(Ocean Bar), Raul( Crows Nest)
Have a GREAT cruise!
rocks
Old March 17th, 2003, 07:39 AM
RobbieD

I just returned from the Zaandam (March 8th), and the most displeasing thing was embarkation. I arrived at the pier at 2:00 PM, and was not on the ship until 3:30 PM. Huge lines snaking through the terminal. There is NO separate line for people who have filled in their immigration form on-line. There is a separate check in line for suite passengers only.

In addition, there is a Bahamian customs form which is distributed at the pier, and must be filled in. I think this should be included with the cruise documents, as it slows things down further. Get ready to wait. Other than that an excellent cruise.