Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2003, 11:53 PM
MR DOOWOP

Default 10 Days on Volendam VS. 14 Days on Noordam ?

.............I have found 2 Southern Caribbean Cruises whose itineraries appeal to me. The first Cruise is 10 Days on the Volendam & the second Cruise is 14 Days on the Noordam. Can anyone tell me why I should choose one Cruise over the other ? ...And what are the " pros and cons " of each of these Cruises ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: 10 Days on Volendam VS. 14 Days on Noordam ?

Having been on both ships, we would definitely choose the Volendam. We loved the Noordam when we sailed on her (5 cruises from '87 - '94), however she is getting old and the cabins are much smaller, unless you go for an A,B or C. She's is a smaller more intiate ship, but I understand there have been a lot of plumbing & A/C problems in the last few years. Also there is a definite shake at the stern of the ship - this was a problem also with her sister ship, the Nieuw Amsterdam.

We sailed on the Volendam at Christmas (had sailed on the old Volendam back in '81) and just loved the her. Cabins are larger, furnishing nicer and it has 2 pools, one under a retractable roof. Niicer dining room, larger show lounge & Lido - just a very nice ship.

Whichever ship you choose, have a great time.
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:38 PM
toley

Default Re: Re: 10 Days on Volendam VS. 14 Days on Noordam ?

MR DOOWOP,
We cruised on the Volendam to Alaska in 2001 and found her to be a very beautiful ship with a gracious crew. The interior was richly appointed and spacious. We never felt crowded although the ship was at capacity. Although I have no experience with the Noordam, I certainly would recommend the Volendam. Enjoy your selection.
Toley
Old February 20th, 2003, 10:24 PM
MR DOOWOP

Default Re: Re: 10 Days on Volendam VS. 14 Days on Noordam ?

...........I really appreciate the fact that you were able to advise me based upon your first hand experience of BOTH of these Ships & I appreciate even more the fact that you were very emphatic about choosing the Volendam over the Noordam. Your comment regarding ' shakes ' was right along the line of other reviews that I have read that comment on ' vibrations ' on the Noordam. I also recall an additional " poll " ranking the Volendam among the Top 10 Ships re: " Best Bang For The Buck "........You also confirmed my suspicions that, generally speaking, the Volendam Staterooms were larger than those on the Noordam.........Thanks, Don
Old February 22nd, 2003, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: 10 Days on Volendam VS. 14 Days on Noordam ?

Mr. DOOWOP,

I can't speak of the Noordam, although most reviews I've read certainly haven't been complimentary. Many reviewers either vote for total refurbishment or retirement. Its doing 14 day cruises at severely discounted fares.

I did get an e-mail this week, however, pushing both the VEENDAM and the ZAANDAM. They offered 7 day Caribbean cruises for $379 pp INCLUDING PORT CHARGES AND AN UPGRADE TO AN OCEAN VIEW CABIN !
One cruises from Tampa and the other from Fort Lauderdale, I think.
These approach "bottom-feeder" prices! Who would have thought this would ever happen to Holland America ?

If it weren't for the outrageous airline prices from LA to Florida on such a last minute basis, I might have even given HAL a chance on that offer. Airline and hotel was even more than the solo traveler price for this cruise!

Gary