Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2003, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default What HAL RULES would U TOSS overboard

What HAL Policies/Rules of Behavior would you like them to abandon that you think would improve their product??
And why do you think it would make it better??

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: What HAL RULES would U TOSS overboard

Toss overboard the term "Tipping not required" policy.

These crew members work hard and some cruisers take that term literally.

Old March 2nd, 2003, 06:39 PM
Yeoman

Let you know the first of next month.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:07 AM
Admiral

Suki,

I should have been more precise.

Every cruise-line has an advertising gimmick and HAL "Tipping not required" is that gimmick.
I'm sure that the corporate level did not have a family back home to support on what the cruise-lines pay these crew members per month. Those tips are an important factor to their life being and family.

I agree a thank you in a tip to those you mentioned are in fact a gratuity beyond the normal charge.

All tips are the discretion of those receiving the service.

My feeling is is to change the verbiage to one that is more appropriate.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 12:09 AM
Admiral

What happened to Suki's post.

I answered and it was gone.

Did you delete it Suki, if not re-post.

Old March 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM
Passenger

Question on the HAL "No Tipping Policy"? Do they automatically add a service charge or gratuity to your drinks like all other cruiselines? I don't mind paying $3.50 for a beer but when all is said and done, that beer just cost me $5.00.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: What HAL RULES would U TOSS overboard

No service charge or gratuity is added to drink orders. Therefore, if you wish to tip your bartender or server it is wise to carry some small bills or change with you. If you have a favorite server you could always tip him intermittently during the cruise or at the end.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:14 PM
Yeoman

Leaving the end of the month on HAL.

What is the best way to handle tipping?
Is there an advantage to pre tipping room and table service so they know they won't be forgotten?
Are extortion envelopes available or do you just had them cash?
Is there any way to include gratuities on your bar bill?
How do you tip in the "other" restaurants?
Is the buffet packed the last night by people trying to avoid their table servers?
What's the going rate for tips to drink servers?

You would think HAL would get a lot of complaints about a disingenuous tipping policy.

No one has commented on how formal "formal" is.

Their documents imply that you should be in a tux two nights, casual, like really nice sport shirt and slacks one night which I assume is the first, and informal, like coat and tie or at least coat and contemporary shirt the rest of the time. If that's what they expect, that's what I'll take and wear but I will be extremely (pick an explicative) if everyone else at the table is wearing Miami Vice on formal night and shirt with wash pants the rest of the time.
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:30 AM
First Mate

Don - you will find that there is more than one casual night and probably only one Informal night on a 7 day cruise. Just read recently where there was no "Informal" night on a particular cruise. Informal, just means that men are requested to wear a jacket, but do not have to wear a tie. The first and last night are always Casual and then a couple of nights during the cruise also. Casual is at you stated. No jeans or shorts allowed in the dining rooms.

Formal means tux or dark suit. I have never seen anyone in "Miami Vice" attire.

You don't have to pre-tip. We always tip the last night. You will find envelopes in the binder which is on the dressing table or you can pick some up at the Front Desk.

No, you cannot include gratuities on your bar bill. My husband has his favourite waiters and he walks around the last night tipping them in cash. In the "Other" restaurants, we just hand the waiter and wine steward the tip as we leave.

Have fun!
Old March 5th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Captain

Ditto, Dizy
Old March 5th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Yeoman

You owe yourself a cruise in Regal Empress out of Port Manatee. Most of the passengers are from the local retirement communities. It is a cult. Like nothing we have ever experienced before or since but and enjoyable time.

I digress. We showed up for formal dinner in requisite dark suit and long dress to find everyone else in central FL retirement attire. Our table mates, retired judge, wore an attractive lime sports coat with yellow slacks. Orange plaid seemed to be the predominate color. Informal was about the same without tie but casual required sunglasses, sometimes a welders helmet.

Have looked in on the early sitting ever since to see just what formal really means.
Old March 5th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Storm Trooper

"Tipping Not Required":

I have to agree this is questionable. My husband and I sailed the Volendam and it
was one of the very vest cruises ever. The wait staff were terrific and my husband
"insisted" that the staff accept his tips. Of course, we were very discrete in giving it to them.

The alternative dining room was excellent and again we "tipped" the head waiter
and his assistant for their excellent service. We ate there three nights on a 10 day
cruise.

And, of course, we did not leave out our room stewart, who also did an exceptional
job.

The common denominator was: no one actually "expected" a tip, and responded with
true appreciation.

But, alas, my husband still complained about no "flashing lights" on the oxygen tanks
being pushed by other cruisers! (Kidding, of course. We both will be there one day.)
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:47 PM
First Mate

Y2C

I wondered that too!!!!!!!!!!! I know I did not use bad language, nor was I rude to anyone…well...... maybe I did point the finger at the cheapskates/free loaders who skip out! - but then apples seldom fall far from the tree! If I didn't - I'm doing it now!!!!!!

Can't now recall exactly what I said but something to the effect that altho it's 'not required' it is generally accepted just about everywhere that a tip is given, at the patron's discretion, for good service. Barbers/hairdressers (I'm not convinced that it's necessary considering the prices charged!), restaurant waitstaff. etc. are tipped - so why not tip the cabin steward, the dining room stewards, favorite lounge waiters regardless of a 'no tipping required' statement - all have catered, most pleasantly, to whims and fancies thruout the trip? I believe the statement says what it means! Tip or not, at your discretion.

An aside - waitstaff and others in Australia are insulted if a tip is offered! I offered a tip to a manicurist - she was offended and informed me that she was 'a professional' at her job and paid to do it, a tip was not necessary.

I firmly believe HAL pays livable wages - why else do its people renew contracts and return year after year after year…..we've met many stewards and waiters who have been on almost every ship in HAL's fleet - that has to say something!

We've yet to cruise without leaving tips - exception being when a charge is added - for some, what was charged was, in our opinion, o.k., for others, we added a few bucks because they deserved it.

HAL waitstaff do not (unlike many other Cruise Lines' personnel) hang around at the end of the cruise almost demanding a tip - and no envelopes are left in your cabin. (They are available at the front desk for the asking). Always the tips have been well earned and graciously received and obviously appreciated.

I believe I've expanded on my original post - wonder if this will be deleted. If so, I'll demand an explanation!
Old March 7th, 2003, 10:15 PM
First Mate

Don G*
Date:***03-03-03 17:14

Leaving the end of the month on HAL.

What is the best way to handle tipping?
-Get envelopes from the Fronmt Desk

Is there an advantage to pre tipping room and table service so they know they won't be forgotten?
- Nothing to be gained - unless you are doing more than a 14 day cruise, tip on the last night
Are extortion ( change that to 'appreciation' )envelopes available or do you just had them cash? - See above
Is there any way to include gratuities on your bar bill?
- Carry small bills if you so choose
How do you tip in the "other" restaurants?
- As you would on shore
Is the buffet packed the last night by people trying to avoid their table servers?
- Not really but you will meet up with the 'cheapskates and stiffers'!
What's the going rate for tips to drink servers?
- As per land rates if you so choose

You would think HAL would get a lot of complaints about a disingenuous tipping policy.
- Not everyone wants to be dictated to - $3.50+- per day per person for cabin and waiter, bit less for his assistant. A few $'s never goes amiss for the fellow who helps you with your breakfast tray on the Lido.

No one has commented on how formal "formal" is.
- Tux or if you choose dark business suit - let you lady's atire be yorr guide!

Their documents imply that you should be in a tux two nights, casual, like really nice sport shirt and slacks one night which I assume is the first, - depending on when we get on board, it's quite acceptable to have dinner in your travel duds - we usually find time to change into something fresh, tie not necessay - and informal, like coat (blazer works well) and tie or at least coat and contemporary shirt the rest of the time. If that's what they expect, that's what I'll take and wear but I will be extremely (pick an explicative) if everyone else at the table is wearing Miami Vice on formal night and shirt with wash pants the rest of the time.....doubt you'll find that unless the cruise is heavily discounted to around $40.00 per night - you do the math!
- On the Daily Programme you will find 'guidelines' - Casual nights, a tie is not required
- Informal, what you would wear to a good restaurant......

HAL has class! You'll have to find those people to tip them!

You'll have a great time................