Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2003, 07:41 AM
RobbieD

Default Zaandam March 8th

I have just returned from an excellent cruise on the Zaandam - If you have any questions, I will be glad to respond...
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Zaandam March 8th

RobbieD

Glad you enjoyed your trip, we are looking forward to ours in a couple of weeks.

Another thread complained of long lines at the terminal. What was your experience and what time would you advise showing up? We will be driving and can arrive anytime. Planned on getting there around noon.

Thanks...Don G
Old March 18th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Passenger

We arrived at 11:30 and since my husband walks with a cane we got priority check in. They do not start to board till one but have a comfortable lounge area to wait in. By 12:30 the lines for regular were immense but they moved pretty good. I would advise getting there early or after 1:30

Old March 18th, 2003, 11:38 AM
RobbieD

Default Re: Re: Zaandam March 8th

I arrived at 2:00 PM (via HAL's shuttle from Orlando). Did not board the ship until 3:30 PM. The lines were huge, and having filled out express immigration check-in via the Internet did not provide any benefits. Everybody was put into the same check-in line except for suite passengers. There were further hold ups as passengers have to fill in a Bahamian immigration form which is not included with the cruise documents. All in all, a very long wait, but as I said, the only negative about the trip.
Old March 18th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Yeoman

I understand HAL uses terminal 8 which in next to the RCCL terminal and they share the parking lot. Is that true or am I doomed to spending the aftrnoon looking for the ship?
Old March 18th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Passenger

We went on rccl in Dec. and parked right across from the entannce to the terminal. When we went on the Zaandam the lot was full but got a spot a little left of the terminal entrance but not a long walk. Most folks come by bus so you will not have a problem if you get there before noon. Have a great trip. Do you have room in your luggage for a stowaway !!!

Old March 22nd, 2003, 12:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I do have a few questions for Zaandam alumni:

1. I get the distinct impression that HAL is starting to nickle-and-dime like a lot of other cruise lines. For example, on a September Alaska cruise the "Passport to Fitness "promotion was not available. Is it now on again?

2. Likewise, the Marco Polo is said to charging $20/person for dinner and is closed for lunch.

3. On the above-mentioned cruise the Java Cafe was closed the whole week. Coffees and cookies were set up in the Explorers Lounge. Has HAL started charging for lattes, expressos, etc like everyone else?

4. The above-mentioned cruise was packed and consequently the Lido was a horror, especially at lunch. The line-ups were not too bad, but finding a table was next to impossible. This is why they should have the Marco Polo open for lunch and the Rotterdam Room open longer than the one hour/one seating as at present.

5. How about vibration at high speed? It could be felt everywhere, and much to our surprise it was quite bad in the Crowsnest.

Thanks to anyone with info.
Old March 22nd, 2003, 05:19 PM
Yeoman

Let you know is a couple of weeks.
Old March 24th, 2003, 07:40 AM
RobbieD

Default Re: Re: Zaandam March 8th

1. Passport to Fitness Program was non-existent, however the gym and Lower promenade were always busy.

2. During our cruise the new fee was not yet in effect - believe it starts the 29th of this month. It was open for lunch on several days. Did have dinner there, and preferred the main dining room. We were the last table to be seated in the Marco Polo, and they were rushing to get us out. I have a copy of the dinner menu if you have any questions

3. Java Cafe was open from 9-5 everyday, and made excellent cappuccino and espresso - there were always trays of very good sweets, all at no charge.

4. Usually ate lunch in the Rotterdam if it was open - excellent food and service. Did have luch at the Lido for the Indonesian Buffet - the peanut soup is not to be missed - I know it sounds kind of odd, but it is delicious.

5. Vibration - noticeable at times in the main dining room - I was at table 140 on the lower level, and you could see the glasses shaking - not uncomfortable - if it weren't for the glasses, you would not even notice. Did not notice it at all in the Crow's Nest..

Cheers