Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM
sdolliver

Default Food & pool areas - Zuiderdam

I am sailing April 5 on the Zuiderdam and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about how the food compares on the Zuiderdam with other Holland ships. Also I am wondering what the pool areas are like. Look forward to some info. Thanks
S. Dolliver
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Food & pool areas - Zuiderdam

Here is some Pic's http://www.maritimematters.com/zuiderdam6.html of the Zuiderdam.

Barry

Old March 30th, 2003, 01:57 PM
HarryB

Responding to the question about the food and pools on the Zuiderdam....

I haven't personally sailed on any HAL ship other than the Zuiderdam, but my wife was on the Veendam a few years ago. She and I just returned from a Zuiderdam cruise yesterday. We've cruised about ten other times, including all major lines except Princess.

The food on the Zuiderdam was excellent, probably the best we've had on any cruise. Consistent with other HAL ships, they don't try to get too fancy or exotic. But that suits me fine; there was always something on the menu I wanted.

Everything in the main dining room was great, including the service. They served Alaskan King Crab legs one night at dinner (and the next day at lunch). This is apparently a recent addition. The steaks were consistently good and properly cooked.

The Odessy dining room is absolutely fantastic. There's a $20 per person charge, but I'd say it's worth it, at least once. We all had steaks, which are are ultra-premiumn cuts. But they had some other great-looking dishes on the menu, too.

The Lido dining room is huge, the most extensive I've seen, with multiple stations for different kinds of foods. We never ate breakfast or dinner there, but had lunch and afternoon snacks there several times. Most everything was very good. They have always-available pizza that was just so-so, and ice creme that was great.

We ordered coffee from room service every morning, and full breakfast several mornings. It was always good, with a fairly wide selection.

The pool configuration was the same as on other HAL ships, with an open pool aft and a "convertible" lido pool mid-ship. Both are fairly large by cruise-ship standards, about 16x32 for the aft pool and 18x36 for the lido pool. Both have the usual very-shallow area surrounding the pool, and a teak "sitting wall" around that. The decking around the aft pool is all teak, as is the beautiful full prominade on deck 3. The floor material around the lido pool looked something like a corian counter-top, but a little more rubbery.

The lido pool has the traditional HAL statue, this one of mother and cub polar bears. Our weather was good, so they left the lido pool about 3/4 open most of the time, creating a nice mix of sun and shade. We spent most of our time there. Pool chairs have nice cloth pads, which they take up every night. The chairs are nice, made of heavy plastic, but I noticed that the adjustable-back mechanism had already broken on several of them. The chairs down on the prominade deck are really nice, all teak, with the same nice cloth pads.

There was the usual scramble to reserve pool chairs, but we were always able to get some. It was a late-rising group on that ship; we found that if we got out there by 10:30, most people were still eating breakfast.
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Food & pool areas - Zuiderdam

We're sailing on April 26th. Any suggestions on port activities? Did you have a room with a balcony? Also how 'formal' were formal nights? Thanks!
Old March 31st, 2003, 07:24 AM
Passenger

WendyandBarry, thanks for the great link to the extensive pictures of this ship. I've searched for pictures and all I get is artist rendition drawlings. Thanks again!
Old March 31st, 2003, 05:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the great link to the zuiderdam. The pictures are great . I have less then a week to go before I am able to see this ship with my very own eyes. All my bags are packed, i;m ready to go, can't wait to get the show on the road.
Old April 1st, 2003, 11:19 AM
sdolliver

thank you Harry B for the wonderful write up. It really gives me an idea of what to expect. I am really looking forward to our cruise and I just wanted to see how this ship will compare to other Hal ships. Thanks very much