Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2003, 05:24 AM
maril

Default Zaandam elevators

Morning
I have been reading these last few weeks that the elevators have NOT been working properly on the Zaandam. We are sailing June 7th. I requested a room neat the lifts. Can anyone give me some insight into this?
thanks
Maril
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:11 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Zaandam elevators

We sailed in Zaandam early this month and all the elevators were working fine. In fact, the ship seemed to have the best service we have encountered due to number and size.

The call buttons are pressure sensitive but that didn't stop our fellow guests from standing there constantly mashing on them.

We had a real swift bunch. If the fares are slashed the final weeks, stand by.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 06:52 AM
maril

Default Re: Re: Zaandam elevators

thanks for the elevator info, DON. I had been reading that people had trouble with some of them not working at all. you made my day.
too bad about the prices falling, just my luck, we went with Your Man Tours on their prepackaged price and they are not very nice in accommodating youif their prices do go down to them. we had to pay regardless or what HAL will charge them. ANyone else ever use YMT?
maril
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Yeoman

I think that is a HAL policy. Shorly after we paid in full, the prices on our staterooms dropped by over 50%. HAL would not adjust our price. Our only option would have been to cancel and pay the penalty, then re book and take a chance on getting what we wanted. Other lines do adjust your fare in the price is lowered.

If you dropped a net over bingo night at the local lodge, you would have our cruise.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:52 PM
Brad Krewson

HAL adjusted my price when they lowered the price on the internet. I went on this cruise in Feb of this year.

Brad

Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Eileen Bennett

We just got back this week, and all elevators were working well when we were on it.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:31 PM
abob

We sailed on N E 4/12-4/16 and the middle bank of elevators had some problems, but only the first day. After that, no troubles and we used them quite abit. We did get into one elevator the first day and went nowhere, scaring me a little, but when we hit the open button it worked immediately. We ran across to another elevator and got teased about the whole thing by fellow passengers.
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:23 AM
abob

On my last post I wrote we sailed on the NE, but I meant the Zaandam....sorry about that.
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Zaandam elevators

I find it very offensive that you imply that because someone purchases a cruise at a discounted rate they lack intelligence. You're exactly what people talk about when they say HAL has a reputation for having snotty and rude passengers. Just because someone is smart enough to get a cruise at a discounted rate it does not mean they are lower or less in class than someone who paid twice as much for the same room.
As for the elevators, I was on the Zaandam in March and actually had to calm a screaming child who was on an elevator alone and it had stopped, and the doors would not open. Through out the entire week, the elevators were not running perfectly, often there was an elevator or two that were not running at all. As for the screaming child, he was fine after about 25 minutes when the engineers figured out what number elevator he was on and they overrode the system and opened the doors for him. Oh and by the way, I am one of those cruisers who purchased my cruise at a discounted rate, and I know how to use an elevator.
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Passenger

That post is meant for "DON G"
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

A child screaming on an elevator must have been pretty young. Where were the parents? Obviously there were some pretty dumb passengers on this cruise no matter what they paid for their cabin or how the elevators were functioning. Exactly what some posters are complaining about on these boards and rightfully so.
Old April 24th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Passenger

He was about 10 or 11 years old, he had been at the Club Hal party and was with a group of friends they got off the elvator and he went on to his room and it got stuck.
Old April 24th, 2003, 08:10 PM
blb57

We were on the Zaandam 4/12-4/16 to Bahamas did not encounter any major delays with elevators, we had other small problems with this cruise but it general everything was very nice. Clean but we prefer RCCL