Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to pack for Alaska Cruise?

I need advice on what to pack for a 14 day cruise (San Francisco to Alaska and return) on the Prinsendam, August 23, . I'm an experienced cruiser so I know what to pack for evenings on the ship, but I'm not sure about the days on shore. I don't want to take a bunch of cold weather clothers if I don't need them.

The last time I was in Alaska was 40 + years ago, I was only 9, so my mom did my packing for me. I remember rain but I don't remember cold.

Will a rain coat be enough or do I need to take my parka? Will it be warm enough to use the pool? Winter weight or summer weight clothes? Long or short sleaves?

Anyone else sailing on the Prinsendam on August 23?
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: What to pack for Alaska Cruise?

The secret to packing for Alaska is to plan to wear layers that you can peel on and off easily. Forget the bulky stuff. For example, layer a turtleneck under a shirt and add a sweater or light jacket over that and remove and add as needed during the day. Another thing are those nylong jogging suits are useful too. Do bring along a light pair of gloves, a rain poncho, a mini umbrella if you want and maybe something to cover your ears when you are close to the glaciers. Comfortable walking shoes that you won't mind getting wet if it rains.

Old May 6th, 2003, 05:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: What to pack for Alaska Cruise?

Good suggestions, Lisa. I am also going to Alaska the end of August and that is exactly what I will be taking. It could be very cold, then again, Vancouver may be very warm. Last time we were there in June it rained a lot, however our day in Glacier Bay started off very, very cold and I was bundled up in turtleneck, sweater, jacket, lined pants, hat and gloves. By the afternoon we were all peeling and sunning ourselves. You never can tell with Alaska weather.