Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM
maril

Default Zaandam Cabin 1817

Morning
Hi, Finally got our docs. Kinda disappointed on getting lower deck, cabin 1817. I did ask for a cabin near an elevator. Any chance on board that I will be able to get an upgrade right before sailing?
thanks
maril
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RICKinFL Send a message via MSN to RICKinFL
Default Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

Hi Maril, We were on the Zaandam on 4/5/03 and were in cabin 1822,Dolphin deck Starboard side,the cabin was about 50 feet from the elevators.It looks like your cabin is on the port side and probaly about 75 or so feet away from the elevators.The cabin had plenty of room and was always cleaned at least twice aday and your really not in the cabin that muchso if ya want to save a few dollars I'd just stay put....You can spend the money you save in the ports . Hope this helps ya out...Have a great cruise..Rick
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Mmketeer

Default Re: Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

Hi Rick,

I am planning on sailing on Holland America out of the port of Tampa on Dec.13 on it's Western Carribean Cruise to Cozmel, Montego Bay and Grand Cayman. This is my first Holland American cruise cause' I usually sail on Disney's magnificent ships. I was disspaointed on Carnival, do you think I'll like Zaandam? I have cavier and champagne taste on a hotdog and beer budget (if you know what mean!).

Did you do a trip report about your experince on the ship etc? I would love to hear about it or more on your opinions about this ship.

Thanks...your fellow Floridian
Mmketeer@aol.com
Old May 12th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RICKinFL Send a message via MSN to RICKinFL
Default Re: Re: Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

Hi Mmketeer, I noticed ya said your sailing on Dec 13 on the Zaandam out of Tampa I believe the Zaandam sails out of Port Canaveral you might want to check that out as I believe the Veendam sails out of Tampa on the same date.I also sent ya a email in regards to our cruise... Have a fun time...Rick
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:07 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

The Zaandam is a great ship - we just disembarked from a fantastic week in Alaska.
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:14 AM
maril

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

WindyCity
Can you post your experiences on the Zaandam THIS week? We are sailing her on May 31st
thanks
maril
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:17 AM
maril

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

Windy
They haven't posted it yet. Perhaps you could cut and paste and put it into this board.
thanks
maril
we go 5/31 so hurry!!!
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Wayne and Marcy

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zaandam Cabin 1817

Maril,
Since we just got back from the Zaandam on Saturday and our memories are still very fresh, I'll try to give you a few highlights.

Boarding went very smoothly, we were aboard within 40 minutes of arriving at Canada Place. The ship is beautiful, and your cabin is not all that far from the aft elevator bank. Although you'll be quite a ways aft, this is a very quiet ship, so engine noise shouldn't be a factor in any way. besides, you're right below the dining room, so it's handy!

The level of service is extremely high, typical of HAL. Our cabin steward was great, it seemed like he was hiding down the hall, watching our door so that every time we left the cabin, he rushed in to tidy up. As for cabins, although we were booked in H category (the 1800 series) we arrived to find we had been moved up to the lower promenade deck. Lots of room, great closet space (five of them) and light switches everywhere. That was probably the only issue we had;light switches. I'm an early riser, Marcy isn't, so when I'd try to turn on the bathroom light, invariably I'd wind up turning on nearly every light in the cabin and waking her in the process.

Then there's the food...man is there food! We stopped referring to it as "dining", reverting to our cattle country roots and calling it "grazing" instead. You can eat almost non-stop (and the 15 lbs I gained will attest to that!). Dining room and Lido staff are very pleasant and attentive, asking your name the first time they see you, then never forgetting it, what you prefer to drink, etc. No small feat when they're feeding 1400 guests!

The food was consistantly very high quality, and that was regardless of where or when you chose to eat. If you take breakfast in your cabin, be prepared to eat at precisely the time you specify on your order. Although the forms indicate a 1/2 hour span during which you can expect your order to be delivered, we never waited more than 3 minutes past the start time on the order before our food was there. one thing that is a "do not miss" is the Dessert extraviganza....I took one look at 200 feet of beautifully prepared desserts and went to the cabin for the video camera. It has to be seen to be believed!

We enjoyed the Zaandam enormously, and plan on returning to her in the winter to sail the Carribean. She's a beautiful ship, the crew is great and it's an experience you will treasure

Wayne & Marcy

Buddy (the yum-yum guy) is hilarious