Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:58 AM
kroozlover

Default Zuiderdam Aug16

Greetings all,
Anyone sailing on August 16. We will be three pax: H/W and 11yr old.
All thoughts and comments appreciated.
Have been on over 30 cruises and HAL about 5 times. Mixed revies on this new ship but then again, same is true for all the other ones I have been on.
ALl the besta nd smooth sailing!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2003, 08:12 AM
TMGABLE

Default Re: Zuiderdam Aug16

We will be on this cruise with you! We are all going -- Mom and Dad (late 40's), Son and Wife (he 29, she 31), Son and Wife (he 27, she 25), Daughter (24). We are so looking forward to the cruise regardless of the mixed reviews. I will be going with a clean slate in mind and forming my own opinion! This will be my second cruise, but the first for the rest.
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:41 AM
kroozlover

Great to hear we will have some company!! Sounds like you will have a nice family group with you. The mixed reviews aren't really a concern because I think it all balances out anyway. Perhaps only the complainers write. Isn't that the case in real life? Regardless I have found that on all the otehr cruises, there are mixed reviews. I am not a fan of Celebrity but most reviews are positive. It's the company you travel with also that makes or breaks a vacation as well as your mindset.
So think positive and so it shall be.
All the best!!!
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Passenger

We will also be on the cruise with you. H/W and 2 boys ages 16 and 12. I have also been following the mixed reviews but can't wait to sail. It's our first cruise.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Sharebear

Just to let you know Kroozlover, I am not a complainer, but there is some problems with the ship. We did not have a bad time on this cruise. Infact for our first cruise we loved it. But HAL must admit that they are having sewage problem on this ship. I hope you don't have a room on the 1, 2, 3 or 4 floors at the front of the ship. After a day or two it starts to smell like sewage. We were glad that our room was at mid ship. I'm sure the people sleeping in the sewage smell areas didn't think the cruise was that great. I hope you have a great cruise and be sure to let us know how it went.
Old May 20th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Passenger

We will also be on this cruise.

Me, hubby, daughter (9), son (6). Mom and mom in law. Looking forward to it.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:08 AM
kroozlover

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam Aug16

Sharebear,
I appreciate your comments. I have heard about this problem for some time. We are on Deck 7 so hopefully the problem will not bother us. I have been on over 30 cruises and each of them had a particular problem some were more serious and annoying than others but I have also been in resorts and hotels all around and have had more problems than ships. So....We go with a happy face and great attitudes. Again, I appreciate your help and advice and as this was your first cruise...keep on cruising becaus ethey are the best mode of travel!!!!
All the best
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:48 PM
MarkT

Has anybody else seen the post on RTC about the lunch and inspection tour of the Zuiderdam on Aug. 16?

We're on her for the 9/27 sailing, and are tempted to spend a bit more and come see the ship, although I don't know if that will satisfy the urge or drive me crazy for another month.

MarkT
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:28 PM
kroozlover

MarkT,
I am stumped! What is RTC???
Thanks
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:45 PM
MarkT

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam Aug16

RTC is short for rec.travel.cruises, a newsgroup that is very active with information about all things cruising, as well as life in general some times.

If you have access to newsgroups through your server it is a site worth adding to your list.

MarkT
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:30 AM
kroozlover

Default Re: Re: Re: Zuiderdam Aug16

Mark, Thank you for your help. I was trying all sorts of names to figure out what it meant but without your help, there would have been no way to figure it out!
All the best.
Old June 22nd, 2003, 04:55 PM
Mr Veendam

Hi we will also be on the Zuiderdam august 16th . Myself wife and 2 boys 10 & 12 . 59th cruise for myself & wife and 19th for my boys . lets start out by saying we have never and i mean never been on a bad cruise !! Just some better then others !! Yes i've read all the reviews good & bad and take them with a grain of sate !!! Some of the best cruise we have been on ,were on old tubs !! Just remember you slould alway go with an open mind !! . When the cruise is over it's over and it's what you make of it !!! Also a bad day on a cruise is stll much better then a great day at work !!! PS last year we did the Grand Princess and alot people from alot of the BB told we we wouldn't like it at all !! But it was one of the best cruises we have ever been on .
Mr Veendam Can't wait to get on the Zuiderdam . Every time we go on a cruise it still feels lilke our first cruise !!!
Old June 22nd, 2003, 06:34 PM
kroozlover

Excellent attitude Mr. Veendam. We feel the same way. Hopefully are positive thoughts
will sail throughout the voyage!
Old June 23rd, 2003, 08:48 PM
SF Sharon

>a bad day on a cruise is stll much better then a great day at work !!!

methinks not. I don't relish paying for bad days anywhere.

Ah....but GOOD cruise days, that's why we do it.