Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to RICKinFL Send a message via MSN to RICKinFL
Default Tipping Policy??

I'm relativly new to the board but I've been seeing a few posts on the HAL" No Tipping Policy" and that people are confused by it. I sailed on the Zaandam 4/5/03 and to Me it's very simple....HAL does not solicit tips and you are not required to tip and no tip is added to your finale bill. So if ya feel like saving a few bucks say thanks to all that has served and helped you on your cruise and be on your merry way. However if you feel that you had good service and the crew was helpful you should tip accordingly. But I guess it really comes down to you the, person and how you feel about tipping policies.Take care and have fun no matter what cruise ya take...Rick
Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Tipping Policy??

most misunderstood and most discussed policy- the bottom line is that hal is leaving it up to you ------most cruisers WILL tip according to cruise standards -----some people will use this as an excuse not to tip even though they post the question and get the answer i have written above------
Old May 31st, 2003, 09:26 AM
Lcs

My wife and I have been on 26 cruises on 5 different cruise lines. The HAL policy of leaving tipping at your own decision is a smart move in my book.. I believe in paying for performance. When I get a room steward that goes beyond getting every thing right, there reward is much more than the ‘industry standard’.

I will not sail on lines that make a mandatory charge on your bill. I believe tipping should be done in person. Even on other cruise lines I tip what I think they deserve. For poor service I will not tip, for exceptional service I can be very generous
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I love H.A.L. but do not like the policy. I always tip about the same as the suggested on other lines as a starting point, but would really appreciate tipping guidelines. I think the H.A.L. employees deserve to be tipped well. Their service is usually great.
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:33 PM
Yeoman

chuck

using the suggested tipping schedule from another cruise line is an excellent way to start ------you can add to that of course if you feel the service is worthy of a few extra bucks
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:10 AM
california native

Default Re: Re: Tipping Policy??

tipping is to insure prompt (proper) service. Many other lines add it in, quite frankly I don't care for that. It doesn't mean I'm not going to tip, I just don't like it assumed that I wouldn't and they will do it for me. Additionally, they are also short changing the employees because I tend to be a VERY generous tipper (20% or more on land) when I have received prompt/proper service. My only pet peeve is when I walk up to a soda cart and buy it myself and they automatically add 15% just for handing me a can of soda! Not cool!
For the record I have been on 35+ cruises, including many on HAL and have always tipped since I have always had exceptional service. On the flip side if there was a consistent issue within the dining room or cabin steward and I had made a point to go through the proper supervisor channels and it still continued, I wouldn't tip because they were NOT performing prompt/proper service and why should anyone be rewarded for doing a crappy job!
Old June 5th, 2003, 05:16 AM
crewgirl

guys, as a HAL employee i thinks that good service should be rewarded with a tip ! After working many contracts with HAL there is nothing more dissapointing than spending an hour massaging a client and recieving NOTHING !!! just because of HAL's 'no tipping policy' you would give a tip on land without question so give us hardworking crew a break ......See you all soon !
Old June 5th, 2003, 05:18 PM
John Q

Rick,
I agree with you on HAL's policy. From what I heard on Statendam, that is what was practiced. I believe most people still tipped for services provided, you just weren't pestered to death over it and it wasn't automatically added to your bill as a "convenience"!!! We tipped the same as we did previously on RCCI. In fact on RCCI, we almost never saw wine steward, or head waitor except on the last night. On HAL, our table was right near the head waitor's stand, he spoke with us every night, he helped the waitor whenever needed, and even deboned our fish one evening, much better than I could have at that. The wine steward served our TA champaighn and another bottle of wine at our table and again spoke to us several times each night. So in this case, we didn't mind providing add'l tips for these staff for making our dinners special. Our waitor, asst waitor and room steward did profes job. I don't know where the no tipping allowed idea ever came from with HAL?
Old June 5th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Yeoman

My only problem with HAL's tip if you want to policy is that without any guidelines or a statement of industry standards, some who would like to leave an appropriate tip have no idea where to begin.

Simply saying leave what you feel the service is worth is ducking the issue.

It is a bit presumptuous to assume that anyone who cruises will know, especially considering the people who show up holding a ticket thesedays.
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Passenger

Hmmm theres been alot of good comments on this issue but let me throw this out there....Is'nt a cruise ship basicly a floating resort? I'm trying to remember when the last time time I checked into a Resort /Hotel that they gave me guidelines on how to tip there staff. I just feel that most people have a good idea what the service is worth and will tip aproperatly. I to am not a big fan of cruise lines tacking on the tips to your bill I would ratther give more to the cabin steward who took care of me everyday and did a great job than the wine steward who you might not even deal with throughout the whole cruise. Just my opinion and thats why these forums are so good ...everyone has one
Happy Cruzin to All......Rick
Old June 6th, 2003, 07:54 AM
First Mate

CREWGIRL - are you still working on a HAL ship? Is so, which one are you on? We may be sailing with you and if you are on our ship, will be sure to book a massage with you.
Old June 6th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Gerald Tanner

JohnQ' There is a huge difference between " no tipping allowed " and HAL'S policy " no tipping required " gaffer
Old June 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Tipping Policy??

Gerald,
That was my point. Their policy is not no tipping allowed. But over the last year or so, I have seen many people make that arguement on various boards on the tipping issue.

If there are people who are too cheap to tip or find an excuse to not tip, the policy really doesn't matter--they will do what they always do. For the rest, there does seem to be some confusion.

As to the guidelines on who to tip how much, I have seen these on the boards or on cruise company sites.
Old June 15th, 2003, 06:00 PM
KerryM

I'm still confused about his tipping policy. Is it appropriate to tip your cocktail waitress/waiter at time of service, or do you wait until the last night of the cruise? I would expect to pay my cabin steward and wait staff on the last night of the cruise, but will there be the "complimentary" envelopes to place their tips in, or do we just hand them the tip? This is my first HAL cruise and it just seems too unusual not to tip a person when the job is done well.
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:56 PM
First Mate

You can either tip the bar waiter/waitress as you go or give them a tip at the end of the cruise if you find that the same person/persons regularly looked after you.

HAL does not hand out envelopes, but if you want some you can find a few in the large leather folder on the desk or go to the Front Office and they will be glad to give you some.
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:37 PM
First Mate

Why are there tips away? I just don't understand tipping. I do my job well, get paid a fair salary, etc. It should be that way in all positions. I like countries where service is give with a smile and no one tips, but just says "Thank You". I rather pay more for food and rooms and do away with tipping. Who ever started "Tipping" in the first place.

That was just my 2 cents woth.
Old June 17th, 2003, 02:29 PM
John Q

Default Re: Re: Re: Tipping Policy??

Good point Dan. I have never been tipped no matter how far above and beyond I went. My kids both worked in resturants and think everyone should tip 15-20% always, which I cringe at, when the service is shoddy. I know some people can't be pleased as we know a few of them, but I hate to be ignored or not listened to while a waitor or service person is visiting with friends, or fellow workers. I have always had excellent service on cruise ships and always have tipped for that service.
Old June 17th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Passenger

Heres something to think about...Does anyone know what the Room Steward,Waiter, Ma"tradie, Wine steward ect. make as a salary ?Do they get room and board?If so how much is that worth? What would be a fair salary for these positions so you don't have to tip? I 've talked to a few and most of them put in over 40hrs/week .Is Minimum wage what they deserve?? Most servers (on Land) who I know make under minumum wage and depend on there tips to suppliment their income. If the restaraurants started paying servers 7-10 dollars/hr don't you think the cost of the meals would go up? and same for the cost of a cruise. But Hey then ya would'nt have to worry about tips. Guess it's the old adage... Ya Pay Me Now or Ya Pay Me Later...Oh Yes I'm not a server....just a person who has an opinion..and everyone has one Happy Cruzin..... Rick