Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Passenger

Default Veendam, S suite questions

Have booked an "S" suite on the Veendam for Dec. I've read many posts on the perks of the suites but still have a few questions.
One thing I'm still not clear on is the option of dining in your suite. I have read that you are given the menu for the evening in advance and that you are able to order from this and have it delivered via room service to your cabin. Is this true? While we are looking forward to formal night, there may be one or two nights that dining on the verandah would be nice.

The other question is this: we have cruised on Carnival and have chosen HAL and the Veendam as we are looking for a more relaxed and sedate cruise. Have we made a good choice? We are going to be in need of some serious downtime by the time we go on this cruise and are hoping that it will be sedate and relaxing.
Would love to hear from some recent cruisers and their thoughts on the Veendam.
Thanks. This board has been a great help!
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Captain

Default Re: Veendam, S suite questions

The answer to both of your questions is....Yes, and Yes.

Veendam is a great ship and hope you enjoy her as much as we have.
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:57 PM
shaunda

Hi there.

We were in a suite on the Ryndam, S009, which is the sister ship to the Veendam, along with the Maasdam. I have been on all three and they are nearly identical save for color scheme. We had a mini-suite on Veendam and Maasdam.

To answer your first question. The Suites do have a room service menu, but as I recall it is not exactally what is available in the dining room, but a special 'suite menu' which basically offers the highlights of what is in the dining room. The suite menu is definitely an upgrade from the regular room service menus offered in the other cabin catagories.

I hope you have a wonderful time, I think you will find that HAL is 180* different from Carnival. We have cruised Carnival, HAL, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. We wouldn't cruise Carnival again for anything.

We are not into the wild party scene (don't be fooled we do partake) but find the atmosphere and attitudes on HAL much better suited to our liking. I'm not sure of your age, but you may know that HAL tends to have an older clientelle. My husband and I are in our early 30's and have been crusing HAL for several years and have never had a bad experience. We've always met wonderful, interesting people. I think there is also something to be said in that the HAL ships hold 1800 passengers max (Veendam is 1414) and it makes a big difference over the other cruise line where you are floating around the sea on the 2500-3000 passenger liners.

When I cruise HAL I feel pampered and surrounded by sophistication, without it being pompus and stuffy like the true high-end lines like Crystal, Raddison, etc. We just booked a suite on the Zuiderdam in January.

I hope you find the information you are looking for. Don't hesitate to email back if you have more questions.

Have fun!

Shaunda
Old May 30th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Passenger

Thanks to both of you.
I'm starting to feel that this cruise will be what we were looking for!
We are really looking forward to it, only wish that it wasn't so far away! At least it's something to look forward to.
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:13 PM
ar

Default Re: Re: Veendam, S suite questions

thank you for your comments on the veendam, my husband and i also booked with that ship, for a different cruise feel than with carnival and it is making us feel that we have made a good choice that we booked with holland. thank you
Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:26 PM
Pauli Moss

We just returned yesterday from a coastal cruise on the Veendam and can tell you it was fantastic. We are in our 40's - and the ship wasn't full - approx. 800 passengers from Vancouver to Los Angeles. Very relaxing. The suites are large and the verandahs are HUGE. Service excellent. Food in dining room varied. Stick to the prime rib and fish entrees if possible. The french toast was out of this world. Hope you have a wonderful time. We are booking another HAL cruise as soon as possible. We like no crowds and very little smoke!!
Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Veendam, S suite questions

We have found that there is less smoke on Alaska/Pacific/Mexico cruises then the others with HAL, the worst being in the Crib.
We just got done with our Amsterdam cruise in Alaska and only had very little smoke problems, now if only HAL will have Non-Smoking in some of the lounges or change them from Smoking to Non-Smoking on every-other night this would help.
I am NOT trying to make this a non -smoking Ship or Ships just trying to enjoy the music without the smoke in the lounge's or enjoy the Suite lunch without smoke in my eye's.

Barry

Old October 3rd, 2003, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Veendam, S suite questions

We had a mini-Verandah suite on the Veendam, and it was definitely the way to go!! There is a nice little bar area set-up with mini-fridge, clean glasses, and that perpetually full ice-bucket. We found this a most valuable amenity since we brought a bottle or two aboard, and we used our verendah constantly (minor gripe: Not enough loungers by (or far from) the pools).

As for the room service, they post each night's menu outside the dining rooms around lunchtime. You are free to order off that and have it delivered to your room within the parameters of dinnertime. There is also an all-day room service menu in your suite, but it never changes. Don't rely on it for late-night munchies, the after 12 menu is very limited. Enjoy your cruise --I'm SO jealous!!
Cheers, MaryC
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Mosthreeboys

My husband and I are booked in a deluxe verandah suite on the veendam on Nov. 29th. How does that complimentary laundry service work? Just give it to the cabin steward and all is taken care of? How are the prices? We are so looking forward to this trip. Any advice on taking full advantage of our suite amenities would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Captain

All laundry and dry cleaning is complimentary for "S" and "PS" passengers. You will find laundry forms and bags in your cabin. Put whatever you want laundered/cleaned in the bag and fill out the form. Leave it on a chair or the bed when you leave your cabin and your steward will collect it when he comes in to clean. Like magic, about 24 hours later, it will all be returned to you neatly folded/hung. It is one of the greatest perks IMO for the "S" cabins.

For a complete list of all amenities when you are aboard, go to the leatherette folio that is in every cabin. In that notebook, you'll find a list of all amenitites, room service menus, personalized stationary, and all sorts of useful info.

Soooo many people never bother to open that notebook and on the last day of the cruise, they hear someone talking about the nice perks they enjoyed and they are upset they didn't know about them. Well, gee......all you have to do is read the provided info.

Aside from the amenities, that is a beautiful cabin with lots of room and huge verandah.

Enjoy....
Old October 30th, 2003, 08:26 AM
rram1234

is there a roll call board? would like to see who else is sailing the veendam on 11/29.
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Mosthreeboys

My husband and I are sailing on the Veendam on Nov. 29th.

We are in our mid to late thirties. What about you?
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:31 PM
the suite life

I am also traveling on that cruise out of Tampa on 11/29. Found a great bargain on S suite from vacationstogo.com. I was upgraded on the Zuiderdam in September to an S suite, and now would have a hard time going back to a regular room. No concierge lounge or pay restaurant open only to suite passengers for breakfast and lunch on the Veendam, but could not resist a bargain. It is great coming home with a suitcase full of clean clothes, not having to put your suitcase out until 6 a.m. on the day you return to port, and having special tender passes to get on a tender at your leisure.

have a great trip-hope the weather is great for all of us.
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM
rram1234

Default Re: Re: Re: Veendam, S suite questions

hubby is 38 and i am 40, glad to finally see someone else who is taking this cruise, so looking forward to it, both of us.
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:06 AM
rram1234

to suitelife, i also booked that cruise with vacationstogo. we will be driving up to tampa the nite before. plan on taking a drive up there before we cruise to check the place out.
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Susan Shipe

My husband and I always get the S suites when we cruise on HAL because of the perks. Some of the perks include: dressing room with sink, fresh fruit daily, corsage and boutinere for first formal night, complimentary champagne in cabin from the "captain", front of the line for tenders, wonderful cocktail party with the captain, laundry and dry cleaning and more. I completely enjoyed having hot and cold hor'deouveres delivered daily and sitting on the veranda with drinks before dinners. My husband and I are in our fifties and did not feel we were in the geriatric cruise line. We liked the fact that there were hardly any children under five running around.
The pools on board the sip are fresh water pools rather than salt water ones typical of other cruise lines.
On other cruises my husband and i have gotten the veranda suites and although they are large and confortable, they do not come with the perks associated with the price of the rooms. HAL pampers you !
Enjoy your cruise!
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Marianne Duffy

Hi Everyone,
I just found these boards--what fun!! Hubby and I are booked into a min-suite for the Jan.3 sailing and wondered if anyone else is going with us.
Old November 12th, 2003, 02:32 PM
j redgate

I agree with poster Susan. The S suites are gigantic. The laundry is perfect, my husband packs less shirts. I'm an insomniac so the dressing ares comes in handy for reading at night. Wet bar, mini-fridge, living room. Huge balcony.
You just can't go wrong-J