Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Mary L.

Default Anyone take a repositioning cruise?

Tried cruising 5/10 on the Zaandam and just gotta go again. Thinking about the fall repositioning cruise. Any one taken one of the repositioning cruises? Is the ship full or do they only sell a portion of the rooms? Curious as someone indicated that they only sold some of the cabins and then gave a large portion of the staff their vacations. Doesn't really matter that much to me (as long as I get the verandah I want for the Canal transit) but would be interested in first hand experience re: food, service, etc. if the staff is significantly smaller.

Mary L.
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2003, 12:47 PM
jtorphy

Default Re: Anyone take a repositioning cruise?

We were on the repositioning cruise of the Costa Atlantica in April from Ft Lauderdale to Genoa. The ship's normal capacity is approx 2,300 - there were only 1,100 or so on board. There was only one sitting for dinner because of the shortage of passengers. It was a 16 day cruise with 8 at sea days - this may have turned off some people.
Although Costa is not HAL they are owned by the same company - There did not seem to be less than normal crew on board. With the lack of passengers there was never a problem getting a deck chair or a seat in any bar or lounge.
Old May 29th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Mirish

We've been on 16 repositioning cruises with Holland Amereica and have never seen an empty ship. Because passengers get off and on at different embarkation points, the count is not always the same. They sell as many cabins as they can, if one part of the cruise isn't selling as quickly, they offer great deals to people in that area and it fills up fast.
When some of the staff is due to go home, others arrive to replace them.
Old May 29th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Mary L.

Thanks Mirish, you have eased my mind.

Now I just have to decide if it is better to take one 21 day cruise or 3 7day cruises.

Think I'll start another thread and see what others think.

Mary L.
Old May 29th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Mirish

One advantage of the 21 day cruise is that you don't have to pack and unpack as often. For us, it also saves on airfare, which makes the "per day" cost of the cruise less.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Admiral

I've been on two Princess repositioning cruises and both were full to capacity.