Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2003, 10:14 AM
First Mate

Default Zuiderdam Vibration cabin #A6154?

Booked an "A" cat. Deluxe Verandah on the aft. section of Upper Verandah Deck, deck 6, A6154. We got a extended balcony and slighly bigger cabin. I have been reading about lots of vibration and noise in these atf. cabins. Has anyone stayed in this cabin?

Thank you for you help.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2003, 07:53 PM
MarkT

Default Re: Zuiderdam Vibration cabin #A6154?

The only vibration I've heard of on the Zuiderdam is noticed in the lower dining area in the stern. This is not uncommon on any number of cruise ships we've been on. We are booked for the 9/27 cruise, so I guess we'll find out for ourselves.

MarkT
Old May 31st, 2003, 06:57 PM
Dan and Peter

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam Vibration cabin #A6154?

Hi Mark;
We too have felt the vibration in the aft dining rooms of some of the newer ships. We did the Norwegian Dawn over New Years and sat one evenig by the rear windows where the vibration and noise was very bad. The rest of the ship was great. We didn't noice any noise or vibration in the rear part of the dining room on Celebrity's Infinity last year.

Reason for a concern was a review we read on Cruise@ttics. She said that the noise and vibration kept them up at night. We like the idea of the rear facing cabin and the extended balcony but what good is it if we can't sleep.

Dan
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:45 PM
Boo

Default Re: Re: Re: Zuiderdam Vibration cabin #A6154?

Reading Cruise Critics, it seems as though vibration has only been felt from decks 4 down - so you should be fine on deck 6.

Personally, I would keep your cabin - think it should be a great cabin (I am booked in an aft corner cabin on Deck 8 in July - am not worried about vibration at all, am slightly worried about noise from Lido deck but that's a different matter...). But only you can make that choice.

Have a wonderful cruise, whatever you decide.

Boo
Old June 1st, 2003, 02:42 PM
ashuma

Aft vibration seems to come with the new Azipod propulsion system many of the newer ships use -- including the Amsterdam. I avoid aft cabins, but some say the vibration just lulls them to sleep. Depends how sensitive you might be to it. The Azipod allows for more speed (hence less sailing time between ports and potetially longer port stays)., but comes with some vibration at the higher sppeds. It never bothered any of our cruises, but yes, there was vibration on other new ships too.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Dan,

I was on the Zuiderdam the week of May 17th. The only time I noticed the vibration was in the main dinning room. I was sitting all the way to the back, right in the middle of the ship on the 1st floor of the dinning room. It seemed to kick in after 10:00PM when the dinning room was emptying. The balcony you have is large to say the least. The ship is nice and the service is good. I had a good time and enjoyed my first Holland America cruise experience. The pool areas could have been larger and Iím not sure what they were thinking about when the laid the hallway carpet. The colors are from one of Carnivalís ships! The rooms are nice so have a good time and enjoy!
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:36 PM
Alex Foox

I have booked cat A in the aft on Upper Veranda. Do you have any comments on vibration, nise and size of the room. Should we move to mid ship rooms.
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam Vibration cabin #A6154?

Hi Alex;
When do you sail the Zuiderdam? We'll be on her Aug. 30, 2003

Dan