Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:35 AM
Beginner

Default Zuiderdam July/Kids programs?

My family will be traveling on 7/26. Traveling with husband, two children, parents(one will be in a wheelchair, and sister, brother in law and her two children. Anyone else traveling with us? I have been trying to find out what type of kids programs they offer and when. We have traveled on the Disney ships and we are not expecting that kind of entertainment, but I was still wondering how the kids programs are. Also the shows......are any appropriate for children ages 6-11(Well behaved!)? I have planned this trip for the whole family, so I am hoping it will be nice. We have been on old ships and have enjoyed ourselves.....always try to look for the good over the bad. I am also hoping that it won't be hard to get my Mom around on the ship in a wheelchair. Any info is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks. Dori
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2003, 11:39 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Zuiderdam July/Kids programs?

Dori,

I sailed the Zuiderdam last month. First, they take care of people in wheelchairs. I noticed that when it came to tendering, the crew handled them first and with care. As for teens, the ship has a designated area just for them. It has a bar area and another with video games, etc. Activities were posted and they tried to get teens involved. I did not see many childred on my cruise but there were teenagers. The shows for the most part were good. I can't see why the younger ones wouldn't like them. They have a late night one geared for adults.

The one thing I liked about the Zuiderdam is that it has so many areas to hide in! So when your family is driving you nuts, you can excape! Ha!
Old June 2nd, 2003, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam July/Kids programs?

Thanks Shusize. I will tell my husband about the hiding places too!! My Mom probably won't even get off the ship.....they are just looking to get away and looking forward to being on the ship. Plus, it will be nice for the cousins to have each other to play with, not to mention Grandma & Grandpa!!!!! Dori
Old June 4th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Sharebear

Dori,

We were on the ship from April 12-19. Lots of teens then. They had approx. 4-6 crew looking after them. They always seemed to be very busy. We thought of our children at the time (ages 13 & 15) and thought they would enjoy it. Pool areas are fun. Basketball net, volleyball, schuffle board, 2 small video arcades, etc. I think they will have a great time. Food on the lido deck was great. Pizza and ice cream galore. I hope you all have a lot of fun.
Old June 14th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Passenger

We are traveling on the June 28th voyage with two 21 year olds one 17 year old and an 8year old. Iwill tell you exactly what is going on and even save the daily schedules for your review upon our return.
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam July/Kids programs?

Thank you very much. My son and nephew are 7 & 6, and my daughter and niece are 11 & 10. Being that you are traveling in June, I am curious to know how they handle more children, now that school is out. Dori
Old June 17th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Zuiderdam July/Kids programs?

Nice to hear from you .We have also just met another family on the web who will be joining us on the cruise who have teenagers also .Of course we will keep you up to date
on all conversations and of course, after the return, posting the review.I will focus on the family atmosphere that HAL is trying to campaign into, I personally thinks it is a great idea! That makes my comment FAMOUS !to most non- changers in the cruise bs have this amazing sense that it is HAL best interest to only cater to a certain clientle,Wait a second ,why would any corporation in the world that is going through apparent growing changes, for the better, not push the envelope.This is a great buisness decsicion.So to all the Z lovers out there lets bring this ladie to the Dance! and make sure after she has made us proud that she is properly respected in every manner from stem to stern!!!
Anthony
Old June 19th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Kids programs/open policy....

Hello again. One of my main concerns is that HAL's children's program states that it is an open policy which seems to me that the children can come and go as they please. As we have never allowed this in the past, since we always had the option of not letting them sign themselves out......this is a concern for me. My daughter and niece are 10 & 11 but my son and nephew are 6 & 7. I can't imagine that they would just let them walk out the door. We are planning to bring walkie talkie's with us which should help......but I appreciate it if you would let me know how the supervision is as far as that goes........We will also instruct them on not leaving their group, etc......our children are well behaved, but these are two little boys! The girls are older and we can trust them more, and they will look out for the boys as much as possible. But I am traveling w/my whole family, my Dad is a retired NYC police officer, so we are extremely over protective. I would hate to not let them be involved in the programs because of this. But you can't be too over protective now adays anyway! Thank you so much and have a wonderful cruise!!!!! Dori