Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2003, 07:56 PM
appleone

Default Fort Lauderdale airport connections

Coming off of the Zuiderdam, do we have time to make an 11:00am flight home at fort Lauderdale Airport? Is the ship sensitive to your time constraints even if they did not book your air? I'm told the dock is not that far from the airport. Any advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Fort Lauderdale airport connections

appleone: Have had this situation a few times - here are some answers from my experience: Holland America is sensitive to your schedule even tho you didn't fly through them. You will fill out a form a few days before cruise ends and tell them your flight no. and time and they will try to get you off first (or early). Airport is only about 10 minutes from terminal, but getting luggage and porter help at pier can take longer than the ride to airport.

I've flown since security has increased and that might hold you up at airport longer than 2-1/2 years ago. However, last Nov. getting off the Amsterdam for an 11:30 flight, got to airport about 10:15 and agent said I wouldn't make flight to Chicago - she immediately booked me on a flight 1 hr. later, no charge for change, less stress and it worked. It is EXTREMELY important to be courteous and sweet to ticket agents - bring along a $3.00 souvenier from some island and casually "thank" them for their trouble - works wonders. I have a friend who buys flowers on her way to airport every time she flies, tells agent "my friends got me these and I can't take them with me, so enjoy them". She gets upgraded to first class 90% of the time and for $10.00 for grocery store flowers, it's worth it!

I say take your chances, pay attention to time, take a CAB from pier ($10.00 max.), smile at agent if you're running late and hope for the best. Don't forget - there are worse places to have to waste time than Fort Lauderdale airport! Bon Voyage!
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:38 PM
california native

Personally, I think you are cutting it too close...there are a lot of what if's- how fast you clear customs? The idiots that hold up disembarkation because they don't pay the bill, air packages with the cruise line will go 1st, finding your luggage, porter to help with luggage, transportation and then security at the airport, etc. etc.....I usually don't book anything until after 12 noon.
Old June 4th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Fort Lauderdale Airport is relatively close. Take a taxi to speed up your getting there.

I had a similar situation with a HAL connection in San Diego. Less than 20 minutes from dock to airport, but the ship was 2 hours late disembarkating. The front desk notified me before I got off of the ship that I might not make my flight and because they hadn't handled my air, I would be responsable for the additional charges to take a later flight and that one would be standby, unless I waited something like 6 hours. Luckly I only had carry ons so I made it just as they were finishing boarding. But It is sure was a stressful hour right there at the end of my relaxing vacation.