Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2003, 12:04 AM
ApplePie

Default Shore excursions-Zuiderdam

What is your opinion of the various shore excursions in the western Car. off the Zuiderdam? Key West, cozumel, Cayman Is., Half Moon Cay. Thanks all.....
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Shore excursions-Zuiderdam

Applepie,

I was on the Zuiderdam the week of May 17th departure and completed the Western Carrib.

If you are into snorkeling, either Cozumel or Grand Cayman are the places to do it. The water at both stops is clear and the most beautiful shade of blue. I did the Stingray tour on Grand Cayman. It was unique but the day we did it, there were 4 ships in port and about 200 people in the water, feeding squid to the Stingrays. It was fun but crowded. They make a stop at Hell so you can spend your money sending postcards and a stop at the turtle farm to play with the hatchlings. You'll have time to shop there as prices are pretty good for jewelry.

Several in my party hit the beaches in Cozumel. Many charge you to get in but they keep the beach vendors away from pestering you while soaking up the sun. Most have bars and food. You can easily do this on your own. Just grab a cab and go. I went into town. Beware, the taxi drivers get kick-backs for dropping you off at certain shops.

If you have time, I highly suggest a stop in Carlos & Charles in Cozumel. Good Margaritas and food. The entertainment will keep you laughing for hours. They pull pranks on customers. The wait staff would tickle the ankles of unsuspecting diners with a stick and tell them a "Raton" (rat) was under the table. I saw 2 women scream and literally run around several tables while the wait staff pretended to get rid of the rat. As soon as the women sat back down, the rat would re-appear. This went on for 10 minutes. They do other crazy stuff so it's worth hanging around and watch the new victims walk in the door and get razzed in some fashion.

Key West we just ran down Duval Street and hit Mel Fisher's gold / shipwreck museum. I suggest you skip that. Wasn't worth the $9.00. Also went to Truman's Little White House. I'm glad it was air-conditioned! Then it was off to the shops and Fat Tuesdays. Key West has a lot to do on your own just walking around.

The ship docks just to the right of Mallory Square in Key West so it's easy to walk anywhere.

In Cozumel, you have to take a 5 minute taxi to the town that runs under $10 for 4 passengers.

At Grand Cayman and the private island, you have to tender.

If you have any other questions, you can e-mail me at: Mes1@aol.com. Just put Zuiderdam in the title so I don't delete it.
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Shore excursions-Zuiderdam

When are you sailing?
Old June 14th, 2003, 01:10 PM
ApplePie

Default Re: Re: Shore excursions-Zuiderdam

July 26. Can't wait!
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Shore excursions-Zuiderdam

My family is also sailing on July 26th. We can't wait either. We are a party of 10.......We have been told that the Stingray excursion is not to be missed. I have friends who have done it. We have been to Cozumel, and Grand Cayman but have never done the Stingray tour. We also live approx. 2 hours from Key West. It is best to walk around there, or take the Conch Train because it is very hot. Are you traveling with any children? We have 4 among us! Dori
Old June 16th, 2003, 02:55 PM
stargazer

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Shore excursions-Zuiderdam

Yes, stingray excursion seems fun, but I'm hoping not to do too many touristy type ones. No children this trip, but look forward to seeing you and your family on board. Thanks for responding.