Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 13th, 2003, 06:57 PM
stargazer

Default Zuiderdam 1st or 2nd seating?

Other than the time, are there any differences between the two seatings? We chose the later seating. Will we miss any major activities such as the show or anything? Thanks for thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Zuiderdam 1st or 2nd seating?

Late seating is best in my book. No problem with entertainment, there will be a show just after late seating. The big plus is the days you return from port. There is no need to hurry and you have time to relax before your dinner is served. Rushing back to ship to cjange for formal night is a drag on early seating. There are fewer kids and fewer infirmed people at late seating.
Old June 14th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Passenger

I could not agree more we have cruised over 9 times and late seating for us works fantastically why go on a cruise and rush also on HAL the show is after dinner on some cruises the late seating see's the show at 6:00 and then goes to dinner,not on the Z !When are you sailing? My family and I are sailing on June 28th ,2003 .well have a nice day! respond with any questions you have.Bye for know. Anthony
Old June 14th, 2003, 04:34 PM
ashuma

We always take the late seating. We like to relax between port activities and dinner. Maybe go to the spa or work out if we are not tired. Plus we might have pre dinner hor d'ouvres and drins ensuite before dinner orhost a party. And we prefer less children when we dine. While all families do not take the early seating, more seem to do so.
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Zuiderdam 1st or 2nd seating?

We always have late seating for all the reasons above.
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Late seating is the way to go but make sure you are not on the first floor, all the way to the stern of the ship if at all possible. We had a great view directly out back but when they kick in the engines (around 9:30) the ship rocks back and forth. You'll hear a pounding that sounds like a drummer keeping all the slave rowers insinc. All I could think of was the last Hawaiian King on one of his outriggers with the drummer pounding out a rhythm for the rowers!

It's not really bad but it is noticeable. After awhile you can tune it out.
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Mark T

Did I read correctly that there is a show schedule for AFTER the second seating? That is one of the bummers on other ships. We like second seating, but don't like to go to the show before dinner.

Could someone clarify? We're on the Zuiderdam for the 9/27 sailing.

MarkT
Old June 28th, 2003, 05:26 PM
doliver

Yes, there are two shows each night. One at 8PM and the other at 10PM. I think I'm right on the times...I could be off by 30 minutes, but either way, there is a show after the second dinner seating.
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Passenger

We just got home Sat. and had the second seating.The shows are at 10:30.We loved the second seating because it allows you to relax once you get in from shore.
If you haven't already booked a table try to get the second floor dining Room(we had table 49). The vibrations on the first level are a killer.
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Stargazer

Thanks for your reply (as well as the others). You seem to agree with most of the other responses. Hope you had a great cruise.