Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:09 AM
CSEMom

Default Casual nights

We leave on the Amsterdam 7/5 for Alaska. I have the formal thing down, and the informal (although, semi-formal would be a better description), but casual is difficult.
The brochure says "comfortable, relaxed clothing"- what's that? my pj's fit that bill, but I wouldn't dream of wearing them to dinner! Church clothes? What are some things you have worn? I was thinking of a pair of velvet pants with different blouses.

Also, is it warm enough to sunbathe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Andee Bram

Default Re: Casual nights

I think velvet pants are too dressy for casual night, and I wouldn't be comfortable wearing them in the summer. I think you'll see lots of capris with twin sets.
Old June 24th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Alaska, even on HAL, tends to be a little less formal....for casual nights, I would lean towards a knit pants sent, the above mentioned capris and twinsets, or slacks and a short sleeve lightweight sweater.

Old June 24th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm sailing to Alaska on the Prinsendam on August 23. For causal nights I'm packing comfortable cotton knit or Tencel casual pant suits, "resort wear" or slacks with a twin set. It may even be the same pair of slacks I'm planning to wear on shore the next day. Comfortable sandles (dreaser than my wlking shoes but not as dressy enought to need panty hose). Think something that you would wear out to a casual dinner and a movie, not as dressy as something you'd wear to church (that's what you wear on the nights between casual and formal).

I just make sure to have a jacket or sweater because some times the air conditioning is too cold or I want to go out on the deck for an after dinner stroll without having to go back to my cabin for a jacket. It's also nice to have clothes with pockets so that I don't have to carry a purse.
Old June 24th, 2003, 11:49 PM
CSEMom

Default Re: Re: Casual nights

thanks, I wasn't sure if capris were okay. I have a black dressy pair. I was already thinking of twin sets-have 1 and just bought another today.
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:09 AM
CSEMom

Thanks for all the good advice for casual nights. I'll have a sweater or jacket and a small purse (although that's why my husband has pockets!)

I haven't been on a cruise in 20 years (for our honeymoon) and this is for our 20th anniversary. I don't even remember what I wore to dinner for that cruise.

Okay, what about the pool? Is it warm enough to sunbathe, or do I forget about the swimsuit?
Old June 25th, 2003, 12:24 PM
First Mate

It may not be warm enough to sun bathe, but take your bathing suit as the pool on the inside Lido deck has a retractable roof, so you can swim there.
Happy sailing!
Old June 25th, 2003, 01:47 PM
CSEMom

Great!
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Terry Willson

When we were in Juneau at the end of July they were having record highs - almost 90 degrees, so it was plenty hot enough for sunbathing. Most days we enjoyed sitting out in the sun, but generally did not wear swimwear.