Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 12th, 2003, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Default Guarantee -- Board early or late?

My husband and I booked a "Guarantee Outside" for the first time. (We've always booked a specific cabin before.) Our question is this, what is the best strategy for getting the best cabin. Do you come early because the cabins are given out best to worst OR do you show up late hoping to get bumped up? Perhaps it doesn't matter at all. Since this is the first time we've booked the guarantee, we wanted to get some advice from others who have done the same thing. No matter what cabin we get, we are looking for a relaxing week away. This is the first of four cruises we are taking without the kids and the in-laws. (The kids are staying with the in-laws this time!) Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Guarantee -- Board early or late?

Pier arrival time doesn't matter, as in most instances, HAL assigns your cabin approximately 1 week before sailing date.

Happy sailing!
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Admiral

I agree, your cabin will be assigned before you ever see the pier.
Old July 13th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Dick Stein

I have a guarantee in November. You will like what you get generally. They will give you a toll free number with your cruise documents that you call one week before you cruise. Good luck.
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Admiral

As above, your cabin is assigned before the day of sailing. I have never gotten a bad cabin with a guarantee, just got assigned the top inside cat. for a 9-03 sailing.
Old July 19th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife
Default Re: Re: Guarantee -- Board early or late?

I think, most of the time, you do a little better than you planned when you book a guarantee. When we sailed on RCL two years ago, we booked what THEY call "run of the ship", which is basically the price for the lowest class inside cabin. We ended up with a great outside cabin near the stern, so we had no bouncing and not too much noise.

We have booked a guarantee on our HAL cruise in November...we booked the highest inside cabin and we'll just see what happens.!

Becky
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Cruising soon!

We have a HAL "W" outside guarantee. We sail in one week. We have NOT been assigned a cabin. TA seems to think that is a good thing. Hmmmm....
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Cruising soon!

Ann, have you received your cabin assignment yet? We haven't. By any chance, are you sailing next weekend, too?
Old July 20th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Beginner

We're booked as Guarantee 8/2 on HAL. I filled out the immigration forms online at their web page and left blank the Cabin Number space. When I checked the forms a couple of days later to verify that I had typed correctly, cabin numbers had been added to the forms. So we were assigned over 2 weeks early and found the cabins that way. By the way, we were given E category, which were going for about $400 more than we paid by buying guarantee.

Kevin
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:22 PM
First Mate

Yes, I found our cabin number on our immigration forms. It posted on Thurs (7/17) for the 7/26 sailing. We got midship (just in front of the glass elevators) and a partially obstructed view. Actually, I'm satisfied. Even though the main deck cabins are a higher category, I did not want to be under the kitchen -- I thought that might be noisy. Our big fear was getting the fully obstructed view. I really did not want to look at only a lifeboat all week. Now I just need to finish the laundry so I get the family packed to drive to FL to drop the kids off at their grandparents. Thanks for all the help.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:55 AM
Cruising soon!

Hi Ann, we completed our BCIS (was INS) immigration forms online at HAL and the TA checked today and there is no cabin assingment for us. I also checked the HAL website. She told me we will be assigned a cabin at the pier. I am growing concerned about this.
We are on the Veendam 7/27 northbound sailing, flying to Vancouver the day before, 7/26. What is the category they gave you?

I checked the weather forecast for the coming week to ten days, and much of the days are listed as "showers likely" or "rain likely". Vancouver, however, will be warm and sunny for departure. (That's so that we have to pack for two distinctly different climates!)
Old July 23rd, 2003, 06:48 PM
Cruising Soon!

Update: husband is picking up our documents from TA now. We have no cabin assignment, still just a "guarantee). Hope we have a nice surprise waiting for us. Hubby is celebrating his 50th birthday onboard and we are Mariner Society members.

If we get a cabin in the far forward of the bow, we may have a tough time of it, if there's much pitching. We are planning not to use any motion sickness medication this time (makes us get incredibly sleepy and sickly-feeling, EVEN the new stuff....and we HATE the patches...).

After the Inside Passage sailing is done, and if there are rough seas following that, then we may have to rethink our plans, taking maybe half a pill each.

Wish us luck!
Old July 24th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ctguy001

You can get your cabin assignment about a week before sailing by going to the HA website and clicking "Book Shore Excursions". Type in the booking number, last name, and cruiser No. "1" and it will fill in the cabin assignment.

Old July 25th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Marion Paris

Sailing August 30. Already received our travel docs. No upgrade for us. Booked a guarantee and already have our cabin number, printed on tickets. Wished for different cabin but will have to take what I paid for - Inside category I.

Oh well.
Old July 26th, 2003, 04:32 PM
robert hudson

Default Re: Re: Guarantee -- Board early or late?

HI: Been on 20 cruises with HAL since 1987! I've used the CAT GTY, and have always been satisfied. I've gotten a cabin in the forward part of the ship, and did not experience any problems, except for when we DROPPED anchor and were using Tenders.

Enjoy!