Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:24 PM
New Cruiser

Default Tips for a new cruiser

My wife and I are in our early 40's we have traveled nearly a dozen times to Europe but our Baltic cruise on the Oosterdam will be our first cruise. Do any of you experienced cruiser have any tips for us rookies?
Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife
Default Re: Tips for a new cruiser

Oh my gosh!!! Just enjoy everything to the fullest!!! Oh...you mean TIPS...shoot!

Well, we are getting ready to go on my third, and hubby's fourth cruise next week (this is on Norwegian, but we're going on a HAL cruise in November). The biggest thing I can emphasize is not to overpack...it's hard to resist the urge, but on my last cruise, I had at least four outfits that never were worn. Also, check out www.cruisediva.com They have tons of great tips and I've used a bunch of them.

Have a great time!

Becky
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:47 PM
Admiral

don't try to do every thing in one day..... pace your self.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Admiral

We did the Baltics cruise in 2000. It is quite port intensive. Wear light clothing in the Hermitage, estates, castles, etc. There is no A.C. in most of the major attractions and they allow thousands of people in at once. It gets very warm and stuffy.

Do most of your "Russia" shopping in Estonia. The shopping is better and you will have a lot of unsupervised time to look without someone keeping track of you. The prices there are very good and the city is lovely. Estonia was our favorite port. All you need to do is take a $10 taxi to the city gates and then explore. It is a big WOW!

Lunch at the St. Petersburg Hotel in Talinn is a treat. The shrimp sandwich on homemade peasant bread is amazing, I promise.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 01:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Take dollar bills for shopping at the street stalls in Saint Petersburg.

If you are goign to buy the nesting Russin dolls the stalls have the best prices.