Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:46 PM
Marion Paris

Default Handicapped Cabins? Were assigned one!

Doctsarrived today - Zuiderdam - August 30.

Booked guarantee - Category I - inside. Thought I might get an upgrade to an outside - no luck.

Assigned cabin 8037 which is a handicapped cabin. On our last Princess cruise we paid for an upgrade to a handicapped cabin because it was so much larger, it was huge!!!!!!

Called HAL and customer service advised that their handicapped cabin 8037 was the same size as a regular inside category I cabin - can't be. I am confused. However, I have found that most customer service reps at the cruise lines don't give the correct information regarding cabin size or location on the ships.

So, I am asking for your expert advice. Has anyone ever been in a HAL handicapped cabin or seen one? I know the bathrooms are larger to accommodate the wheelchairs in the shower, which automatically give you more sq. footage in just the bathroom. The cabins are also larger for the wheelchairs.

Thanks for any info you can share regarding the handicapped cabins on HAL.
Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:57 AM
Cruising soon!

Default Re: Handicapped Cabins? Were assigned one!

Sorry, I cannot answer your question. Could you tell me how soon after you booked you received your cabin assignment?
Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Handicapped Cabins? Were assigned one!

I have been assigned two handicapped cabins because of a "guarantee" reservation, but not on this particular ship. One was much larger .(Radiance) The other was no larger at all (Star Princess). Both had larger than normal balconies, however.

Generally the bathrooms are larger and have great showers and no tubs. Also they tend to use less slippery surfaces like granite.

I looked on the map of your ship on Travelocity. I would guess your room is about 20% larger and your deck will be a bit larger too. You should have a nice view to the side and rear or aft of the ship.

Go to Travelocity and pretend you are buying your cruise or one on a different date if you sailing is sold out. Then you can see the shape of your cabin.