Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 30th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Joyce
Default Original Container

I just got my Holland American cruise docs (msStatendam Aug. 24-31, Alaska) and it said to pack your perscription medicine in the original containers. I get 90 day supply for all of my medications. Those come in BIG containers and will take up a lot of room! Has anyone taken their perscription medication in those round 6 to 8 divided section pill containers and if so have you had trouble with anybody? Also, it suggested that if you are taking anything new such as cameras that were not made in the United States to register them with customs so you don't have to pay duty on them. Is this really necessary.? If you can't guess, this is my first cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: Original Container

Joyce: I don't think the pill container would cause any alarm. You might want to make a copy of each of you Rx's (6 or 8 would fit on one page) and if they were inclined to make a fuss, that might stop them. The average cruiser is not a drug dealer! (Although I've been known to prescribe a few hangover remedies onboard!)

Regarding the registration of items - I think people travel enough today to buy things anywhere and customs agents are aware of this. Registering was a common practice in the 70's and 80's but I think it's been forgotten lately. I take 2 or more cruises a year to various countries, bring things back, declare them at customs when I return and use them again on the next trip (binoculars from St. Thomas, camera from St. Maarten, jewelry from everywhere) and no one has ever asked me anything.

Don't worry about these things - you will find that it is so commonplace for people to travel a lot you don't need to concern yourself about these things.

Once you cruise, you will become an "addict" like the rest of us! By the way, I was on the Statendam in 1998 and it was one of my very favorite ships - you will have a ball!

Belgique
Old August 16th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Passenger

Location: Brooklyn - Dyker Heights-Bay Ridge - NYC By The VZ Bridge
Default Re: Original Container

Dear Joyce,

You are not the only one with medication containers like that. I also do take containers that are large since I hate to go back to the pharmacy every 30 days to renew. So I asked my MD to write the prescriptions that large.

I also take many gadets and camara's with me in the past and recently and NEVER had a problem. I do know what they advise people to do to avoid a problem. I think if these items look so used, you should have no problems. If you are concerned, do register them. My brother is a Custom Inspector and we both don't register.

Of course, if you bought something during the cruise new, then I would use it and enjoy it but hold on to the receipt and also the orginal container till you get home. If a box, flaten it into your luggage and use it as proof of purchase.

I do take my medication in large containers but use those small plastic sectional pill holders when I am on the ship and also on land. Even up to last May 2003 cruise, we were on for 12 days on and off about 5days, and with all the security US and foreign, we have not had one problem. No questions from the authorities. It was at if they expected to see pills as regular carry stuff.

Do what will make you comfortable or feel your way through - BUT........
E N J O Y Y O U R C R U I S E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Ed S.