Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Faye Carr

Default cruising Alaska in Sept.

We will be leaving Seattle on 9-20-03 for the Alaska cruise aboard the MS Amsterdam, anyone out there sailed that late? How was the weather? Any fall color? Northern lights? Hope they have the heat on in the dining rooms. Did anyone have any problems with the new Terminal 30 in Seattle, can you leave your luggage at the terminal before parking your car, or do you have to lug it to the ship? We have a suite on the Navigation deck, hope we can use the veranda. Any information or pointers for first time cruisers would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Faye
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: cruising Alaska in Sept.

Yes
Fine
No
Yes
Yes they will
Have not sailed from there yet
Yes and no
The only way to see Alaska is to have the Deck
Request a table for 8 if you are just sailing with your partner.
HAL's tipping policy is simple you tip for good service, you tell the manager on the ship if don't get good service, and you will.

Old August 8th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Faye Carr

Thanks for the input Wendy...

Faye
Old August 9th, 2003, 03:55 PM
carol moriarty

The Amsterdam was great and we had wonderful weather the last week of July. For daytime pack jeans/windpants and long sleeve T's with a light jacket. Make sure you have a sweater for the dining roon-it was cold in there. Getting on and off the ship was a breeze-I think you can pull up and have a porter load your luggage onto a cart. I would suggest bringing along an outlet jack. there was only 1 outlet in the room and 1 in the bathroom-we had a camcorder to recharge, 2 way radios a nightlight and not enout outlets. The cabins are spacious with a TON of storage. Have a great time!!
Carol

PS-Did you book any excursions? the ones we did were great!! Email if you want more details.
Old August 12th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

We will be on the Amsterdam in September this year, it should be nice we haven't been in a few years, taking a group of 14 only 6 of us have cruised before.
I am sorry I was short with you before, but with everything going on it has been hard to set down and try to play on the computer anymore. If you look at the other thread that I put up on who is going to Alaska, I have put in a few links/sites you can check out for things to do in the ports.
We have not been on the Amsterdam before, but have sailed on a few HAL ships and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Barry

Old August 13th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Yeoman

we sailed last august and the weather was fine except for the rain in ketchikan -it always rains in ketchikan---------and there was enough fog in skagway to cancel a tour- but that can happen anytime of year --just follow the earlier posts regarding clothes and you will be fine---we wore shorts one day and had to put on a light jacket the next--
enjoy and just roll with the weather punches

Old August 14th, 2003, 10:18 AM
Faye

Default Re: Re: cruising Alaska in Sept.

Has anyone drove to Seattle and parked at Terminal 30 for HAL or Princess cruises? Are you allowed to drive up to the terminal and drop off your luggage and then park? Is the parking area covered? Was there any problems with parking spaces, should you reserve?
You are all great with your advice and it is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old August 14th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Admiral

We were on the Amsterdam 6-21-03 sailing. Although I cannot help you with late September weather, I can help you with the ship. The Navigation Deck suites are quite large, well organized and are beautiful. We had cabin 7008 on that level. The concierge lounge is great, especially for morning juice, coffee, and goodies. This is really the only place on board where one can get fresh-squeezes O.J. H.A.L. used to offer it in the dining rooms and on the Lido deck buffet. (No longer do they do that!)

Woolen blankets are available on deck. Grab two and keep in your cabin for your leasurely viewing from your balcony. Be prepared for rain, just in case.

We enjoyed the ship but felt the food was often so-so and sometimes down right lousy.
The alternative dining room is pretty good and well worth the extra money. We ate there twice and we ate ashore two dinners (Juneau and Victoria) and we ate a very late lunch in Sitka . That seemed to solve the dining problem issues for us.

Room service was prompt and of adequate quality most of the time. We have been on 14 cruises and this was the nicest cabin we have ever had. The main dining room food, as I said, was pretty poor in quality. Even the "suites only" luncheon was cheap and of inferior quality. It was basically just appetizers you could get anywhere else on the ship. There was nothing special about it. All of the complementary cocktail parties/luncheons served room temperature cheap champagne and so so chardonnay.Mixed drinks, martinis, and such were no longer offered as they had been on our previous H.A.L. cruises.

E-mail me should you have any other more specific questions.
Old August 14th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: cruising Alaska in Sept.

P.S. There is a place where you can drop off your luggage. We didn't do so because the parking spaces are right there and we only had to walk an extra 100 feet or so. On our cruise very few people parked in the lot so parking was readily available. The price was $12 per day or a total of $84 for the week. I hope this helps. The parking is not covered parking as you might expect. It is just a fenced in parking lot.
Old August 14th, 2003, 09:32 PM
SF Sharon

*lougee1043*wrote:

"it always rains in ketchikan"

Oh, no, it doesn't.

It is often misty, frequently rainy, tends to be a very wet place....but last week it was sunny and many people were in T-shirts, shorts and naked-toe sandals.
Old August 15th, 2003, 12:59 AM
MikeC

2 summers ago we were on the last cruise of the season to Juneau, Skagway and Ketichikan. Literally 'closed' each of the ports as far as cruise ships were concerned. It was late September and the weather was generally good, intermittent rain, cool to cold with the coldest day being the trip into Glacier Bay. Ketchikan was the wettest place but, like Juneau, everything is very close to the ship. I agree with the earlier posts about clothing, could be a mixture of cold to just cool. If you are a shopper and yours is also the last, or nearly last, cruise of the season you will find a lot of bargains on shore, the stores were closing for the season as we pulled out of port.
MikeC