Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2003, 11:17 PM
tut

Default ryndam

Seriously considering Ryndam for Dec. 7 cruise out of San Diego. I've been on Maasdam in 2001. I know they're sister ships. Can I expect the same conditions on the Ryndam as on the Maasdam? Generally speaking, I found very little fault with the Maasdam, and it was my favorite ship. (Although I've only been on five cruises.)

I am also considering the Oosterdam on the same date, but living in Las Vegas, the air fare to Fort Lauderdale has to be a consideration.
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:22 PM
MikeC

Default Re: ryndam

The Ryndam and Maasdam are pretty much the same. Have been on all 4 ships of this class and only real difference is when they were last in for the periodic rehabs they do where carpets, furniture coverings in cabins, etc are replaced. Was on one where it had just been done and difference was readily visible. Was also on one that was enroute San Francisco for the rehab after debarking us in Vancouver. Quite a difference but either were fine. I believe alternative dining is not yet available on all 4 ships of the class but I am often told I am out of date!
MikeC
Old August 14th, 2003, 07:52 PM
SF Sharon

The Veendam does not have alternative dining, and I don't think she needs it, either, judging from my kitchen scale. :-)
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

You've probably already made your reservations, but just wanted to add to the above. When we were on the Ryndam in January there was an alternative restaurant featuring ornth pacific specialties. We were quite satisfied with the regular meals so saw no reason to pay extra to try it. We heard from others that the food was very good.
Old October 1st, 2003, 09:38 PM
Captain

Statendam and Ryndam have the alternative dining Pinnacle Restaurants and Maasdam will have one added at her drydock later this month.

Veendam will surely get one, as well, at her next drydock.

These restaurants are consistently excellent on all of the ships and worth way more than the $20 pp additional charge IMO. We have found the steaks to be as good as any we have had in any land based upscale restaurants....and better than many.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 09:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Between all of the four sister ships, the Ryndam has more of a Old World charm about her, she has more Art work, more dark woods, and more subdued colors, we have found her to be the best of the Sisters.
We have just returned from a short cruise on the Amsterdam, and feel the same as S7S, that you will get more then your money worth dining at the Pinnacle Grill, yes the food is good in the main dinning room, but you have moved up a notch to 4-Star dinning in the Pinnacle, I guessed that is why we ate there three nights.

Barry

Old October 5th, 2003, 08:22 PM
SF Sharon

Default Re: Re: ryndam

Personally, I would prefer that the overall cruise fare be increased by $20 per person and use that money to purchase better salad ingredients for the main dining room, as we thought the salads were the weakest link in HAL's food preparation.
Old October 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM
dick stein

I have been on Ryndam lately and like it better than Statendam. Airfare from Los Vegas to San Diego is cheap and they have a public bus from airport to downtown every 15 minutes. It is the 992 bus line and it cost $2.25 per person or $1.00 per person for seniors over 60 with ID. The Mexican cruises by HAL to the Baja are different than other lines do. Hope this helps. I am on HAL in November. Have daughter in San Diego so I'm there yearly.