Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Default What tux to buy?

Going on Volendam 12/1 (first cruise ever). I have been looking into buying a tux (first tux ever ) so I was looking for some advice. There seem to be many different styles, so which is appropriate? Should I get a dinner jacket or a vest also to swap different looks, or is it ok to wear the same ensemble for all three formal nights? (10 day cruise has 3 I think)

My wife and I are considering ballroom dancing lessons, and that would be the only foreseeable need for the tux in the future. (Besides more cruises!)

Also, how long should I wait? I am loosing weight right now (73lbs to date) and want to wait until the last possible minute...less altering when I am finally down to my goal. (which won't happen until months after our cruise) Can these be fitted and altered (if necessary) as fast as a suit?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

If you are going to run with the big dogs, you had better learn to pee in the tall grass!
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:30 PM
MikeC

Default Re: What tux to buy?

Big Dog-I'm not much of a fashion plate but here goes my opinion. You will find many men on board wearing a suit and tie or a sports coat and tie on formal nights. You will also find a good number of tuxedos, mostly the dark jacket type but a growing number of white dinner jackets. Both are worn with the same trousers. You will see lots of vests worn as well as cummerbunds (sp?). Lots of color choices in both. I have never seen a vest worn with a white dinner jacket but I am no expert. Lots of both available on the net. I just bought a white dinner jacket on the net for our September cruise on the Oosterdam. Personal opinion based on your 1st cruise-If you have a suit that you are comfortable with use it for the cruise and see what you like and don't like then make your decision. As an alternative your cruise documents will contain an ad that lets you rent formal clothing on board the ship. If you plan on more than a very minimum number of wearings I think the rental is expensive but I am kind of cheap.
While I was net shopping for the dinner jacket I noticed some ads for 'cruise combos' which included a standard dark tuxedo, white dinner jacket and accessories.
Again, my opinion only.
MikeC
Old August 15th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Captain

Hi Big Dog....I tried to e-mail you using the addy you have in your profile on another board. It bounced back.

As to your question....First off, congratulations on such a wonderful achievement. It is some accomplishment and very difficult to do.

Seeing as you wish to lose even more weight, your concerns re: tailoring are valid. Any suit jacket can only be taken in just so much before it loses it lines and if you think you will be going down more than one size, I think the suggestion about renting for your December 1 cruise might be something to consider. When you give them the measurements so they determine which size to have ready for you, you would be giving pretty current numbers as you would put in your order for rental when you receive your documents....normally about 3-4 weeks pre-cruise.

After you have gotten nearer to your goal weight, then you may wish to purchase your own tuxedo for future cruises or your ballroom dancing. It would be a shame to invest in a beautiful new tuxedo that will simply be too big for you to be able to wear again.

Most of the gents who wear white dinner jackets normally wear cummerbunds and matching ties. Either traditional black or any pattern, print, design that pleases you.

I, also, would not suggest a vest with the white jacket but they are very handsome IMO with black tuxedos.

Hope this has been a little help to you.

Again, congratulations on your weight loss and good wishes you reach your goal very soon.
Old August 15th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Captain

Sorry.....

I meant to add that Yes, you certainly can wear the same tuxedo pants and white jacket (assuming you don't stain it in which case it can be drycleaned aboard the ship).

Same for a dark tuxedo.

You may wish to have a few ties and cummerbunds to switch around for variety .....or not, at your choice. I would recommend two shirts though. One can be at the laundry and you would have another to wear.
Old August 17th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Passenger

Thank you for your replies...it has helped!

If you are going to run with the big dogs, you had better learn to pee in the tall grass!