Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2003, 09:55 AM
New Cruiser

Default Vacuum packing bags

I am considering some sort of vacuum storage bag system for my clothing. I have never cruised and am a little concerned about all the disclaimers about luggage the cruise lines put out. Are these things worth while and would they interfere with checking of your bags? Thanks, A.O'H.
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Vacuum packing bags

We just used vacuum storage bags in our luggage for our cruise and it was no problem at all. Security did check some bags and left them alone, I assume because they're transparent. I'm not sure what you mean by disclaimers the cruise lines are putting out but we had no troubles at all.

And try "locking" your luggage with tie-wraps. That worked great as well. Security will break those tiny luggage locks. And bring extras for the trip home.
Old August 24th, 2003, 01:16 PM
jeanoh

Default Re: Re: Vacuum packing bags

If you use the vacuum bags for packing, how do you vacuum the air out for your return home?....jean
Old August 24th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Beginner

I use the two and one half gallon zip lock bags and they work just fine. Put all your items that you can fit in one, sit on the bag and zip it up. Things do not wrinkle and the bags take up very little space. Security has opened up my bags and just held the zip lock bags up and never opened them. My clothes were clean and neat when I got to my destination. I also use the plastic locks--you can get them at Home Depot.
Old August 24th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

The 2 1/2 gallon Hefty ziploc bags are fabulous. We used them on our last cruise and now they just stay in our luggage for use on the next trip. You can pack so much more with them, nothing wrinkles and they make unpacking a breeze. I could only find them were we live at Super Target, but Walmart may carry them, too. Grocery stores and regular Target stores did not, at least here.
Old August 25th, 2003, 06:22 AM
debbieg

i just used the space bags for my hal cruise the best things invented i would never cruise without them again, they workes and as for the airport checkin no problem they were able to see everything and just passed me by and i had no wrinkles which for me wwas grat as i didn't have to use the cleaners for pressing a wonderful invention just like duck tape can't live without them kruise53@aol.com
Old August 25th, 2003, 10:17 AM
First Mate

They have a one way valve so when you roll them up the air squeezes out but they don't inflate again. You don't hook up a vacuum to them. They save quite a bit of room.
And the top is similar to a ziplock bag so when you unzip, they inflate again.

I didn't notice any difference wrinkle-wise. Of course I'm usually wrinkled anyway. ; ^ )

So the return trip just put in the dirty clothes and squeeze the air out again and you're off.

I'm sold, they really work.
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Bun73@aol.com

I love them. Put everything in bags. It is easy for the luggage checkers to see what is inside, but it keeps everything organized. You can pack a lot more in a suitcase this way.
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Passenger

We have used the roll up vacuum bags and found that clothes are very wrinkled when they come out . I suggest just sitting on them to let the air out(rather then rolling them).Also, just put sweaters, underwear,etc. in them that do not wrinkle. Or put tissue paper between articles. But, they are great for used laundry!!
Yes, large zip lock bags will do the same thing. Even smaller ones.
Why did I buy those from TravelSmith? <G>
Old September 9th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Zip Lock bags are great when traveling with children. I've packed an outfit with socks, underware & hair ribbons and then just distribute them to the kids each morning. It makes it much easier not to have to assemble each out fit when they get dresses, it keeps the cloths dry when they take them into the bathroom to dress and I can keep track of how many clean out fits are left so that I can schedula a trip to the lanuderett.