Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2003, 03:25 AM
Passenger

Location: Brooklyn - Dyker Heights-Bay Ridge - NYC By The VZ Bridge
Default Why No West. Caribbean Cruise-HAL-From NYC

Dear All,

After much thought, I would like to pose this question in general or attract an answer from some travel profession.

My wife and I have cruised for over 14+ times.

We were loyal Cunard QE2 passengers and recently and will stay with HAL Rotterdam.

Our question we pose is:

" Why are there no cruises from NYC to Western Caribbean on Cunard and especially HAL ships.

We have taken many cruises from NYC and never seen on their cunard schedule, any trips to the West Caribbean.

We have always seen Easteran Caribbean well taken care of by cruise ships from NYC.

I am not sure during their seatdown, how they layout the next year's schedule ?

Why do they pick on certain islands and other not.

I can't understand why this occurs. With such a great topic, I wonder what would be the true answer.

Ready,
Ed S.

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Captain

Default Re: Why No West. Caribbean Cruise-HAL-From NYC

Maybe because it would add at least two days to the itinerary....even three, possibly.

Two days down the coast to Nassau, visit St. Thomas, St. Maarten,San Juan etc then into FLL/Miami.

Adding the three days may make the itinerary longer than they think there is a market to attract.
Old August 26th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Joe R

As long as the Carnival corporation can get out of their hidden contract with San Juan and stop going there then the trips would be fun. Living in Arizona, Puerto Rico reminded me of Mexico.

Oh yeah, and Tortola... Hello, not much to do their either...

OUT
Old August 26th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Captain

We LOVE San Juan....it is a favorite port of ours.

We are always delighted when the ship stays until midnight and we go ashore for a wonderful evening/dinner.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Admiral

I agree, San Juan is a magnificent city. We love to go to Restaurante Baru for a tapas dinner that will knock your socks off. Oh I wish I could go today.

Mexico is a wonderful country too! And the Mexican people are so very kind to Americans, even when these acts of kindness may not be deserved. I have traveled to most of the major cities and am planning to go to Oaxaca in April on a land cruise. I've never been short of things to do in Mexico. Ever!

Maybe one needs to do more homework before he or she visits these places and them you will never be bored, I promise!

Our favorites in Mexico so far are Puerto Vallarta, Copper Canyon, Guadalajara, & Puebla. We also enjoyed cozumel and Isla de las Mujeres. We can hardly wait for Oaxaca which is the culinary and arts capitol of Mexico.