Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to donald
Default Does HA have a policy re: " packing a bottle " ?

I'm pretty sure this question will get a fair number of responses........but; my wife & I will be cruising with HA shortly &; in as much as this is our first Cruise with HA..........we were wondering what their policy is re: " packing a bottle " ?? ......On our previous Cruises; we have always " packed " a bottle of Chivas Regal & have found that this has not created any problems on any of our Cruises & we have always enjoyed an occassional drink in our stateroom as we dressed for formal nights or along with a late night ' snack ' or ' room service '
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2003, 05:07 PM
b.krewson

Default Re: Does HA have a policy re: " packing a bottle " ?

On HAL line it is not a problem to take a bottle with you. You can also buy it on board and pay a 20% fee and take it to your room. We have also bought liq. on one of the island s and it is ok to take to your room after they ran it thru x-ray.

Brad

Post Edited (09-29-03 17:08)
Old September 29th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Does HA have a policy re: " packing a bottle "

We were on the Oosterdam in August-Sept and bought a bottle in the duty free store and when we asked we were told it was fine to take back to the room .. no surcharge was added

I had never run into such a liberal policy before

Old October 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
JamesLK

Default Re: Re: Does HA have a policy re: " packing a bottle &q

My brother and I sailed on the Volendam in March and they had no sur-charge when bringing the bottle purchased in the duty free store back to the room - my first experience like this.

On 3 prior HA cruises, and several cruises on other lines the sur-charge ranging from 10-20% applied, which is a very good deal.

Next month my wife and I are sailing on the Celebrity Infinity to P/Canal, and I sent an inquiry - the response was that the sale of liquor for in-room consumption is sold
non-duty free, comparable to retail liquor stores, but this is still a good deal. Also, sad to say, this doesn't keep us out of the bars as we like the atmosphere and entertainment.

Enjoy. jlk
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

I'm wondering, though, does this apply with wine/liquor that you bring from home? I'm probably being dense, and not understanding what ya'll have said, but is ONLY booze from the duty-free store OK to bring on board, or can we pack it with us and bring it on board?

We sailed on one of the Renaissance ships (before they went belly-up) and took like 8 bottles of wine and champagne with us. The only fee we ever had to pay was a corkage fee in the restaurants.

Becky
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Passenger

We usually just bring a small bottle of vermouth in carry-on bag & buy a bottle of gin onboard. It's cheaper, more convenient & safer then carrying a bottle on the plane. No one has Ever questioned it & we enjoy it in our cabin. There has never been an issue of surcharge. Lemon or olives can be had at any bar onboard with a small tip.
If you're driving to the ship, well I guess it depends on how much you want to lug onboard---a cooler of beer would not be a good idea nor a case of vino!
When buying wine onshore we either consume it in our cabin, usually with bread & cheese bought onshore, or take it to the dining room. Yes, then you pay a corkage fee, usually $10.
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:37 AM
j redgate

Are you sure?
I see many conflicting messages regarding booze on board. I thought they kept duty-free until the end of the cruise. If not it would be mighty convenient for in cabin use. Please reassure me with first hand experience-J
Old November 6th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to donald

I have received the following from HAL: " As a general policy, beverages should not be carried on board; however, we do not confiscate items at check-in. If you do choose to bring your own beverages onboard, you will be asked to keep the conumption of them contained to your stateroom. If you purchase a bottle of alcohol from the duty-free shop you will need to pay the duty ( generally 20 % ) in order to consume it on board. Otherwise, your purchases will be delivered to your stateroom just prior to disembarkation. If you would like to consume your own wine at dinner, a $ 10 per bottle corkage fee will be charged to your onboard account. Alcohol may no longer be delivered to the ship from on-shore stores. "
Old November 11th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Just returned from the Maasdam and saw dozens of boxes of alcohol (4 bottles to a box) being delivered to cabins at the end of each port day.

Also took some wine onboard (one from home and others purchased in ports) - drank some, carried some unopened home with me.

Found a cheap deal on Diet Coke in one port and got a 12 pack to take back to the ship - no problems anywhere.

I think HAL is very lenient about these things and that is appreciated.