Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Jillian

Default Too young??

My husband and I both 32 and wondering if we would feel out of place on this ship. We are looking for a late February Western Caribbean cruise and are interested in the Veendam.

Neither of us would consider ourselves food snobs, but we are concerned about food. We tried a relatively high-end all inclusive resort in Playa del Carmen we both lost weight! Terrible food. I am fearful of being on a cruise for 7 days and hating the food. We of course are looking at RCCL, but I know Holland America is a step up.

We both like to be pampered, we don't have any kids, both professional non-crazy party hounds looking for a fun, relaxing, enjoyable vacation.

Any input you may have will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Captain

Default Re: Too young??

Wish I could say we've ever lost weight on an HAL cruise. I'd be pleased as punch!!! I don't know of anyone who ever went hungry aboard an HAL ship as there is so much to select from throughout breakfast, lunch and dinner. ..and tea, and hors d'ouerves, and late night buffet and pizza and burger bar etc etc.

Surely, you will find something they offer to be satisfactory.
Old October 10th, 2003, 04:16 PM
pauli moss

We just returned from a coastal cruise on the Veendam from Vancouver to Los Angeles and we are both in our early 40's. Yes there were a lot of 70 + people on board - but there were about 25% of us between 30-50 and we had a wonderful time. The food was excellent - as long as you explain to your waiters how you want things prepared. We made a big deal about asking for our steaks RARE - and after one time, we got everything back just right. The pastas are excellent, desserts and breakfast french toast and waffles are just wonderful. Vegetables were okay - at least not overcooked. Plenty of fresh sweet fruit (pineapple and papaya!). Smoked salmon was very good. If you have any specific questions feel free to email. Also, we did have a verandah cabin and absolutely LOVED IT.
Old October 10th, 2003, 06:36 PM
FRANK

H/A IS A STEP UP BUT IF YOU WANT A GREAT CRUISE TRY CRYSTAL LINES--THE HARMONY OR SYMPHONY OR SERENITY ARE EXCELLENT I WAS ON THE HARMONY TWO MONTHS AGO AND THERE WERE MANY YUPPIES LIKE YOU TWO AND THEY HAD A BALL AND DIDN'T LOSE WEIGHT FROM THE LACK OF OR QUALITY OF THE FOOD
Old October 10th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Passenger

Why are you yelling Frank?
Old October 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM
thoth

I just returned from Alaska on the HAL Statendam. I am a 39 year old non drinker and I really enjoyed myself. When I hear "non crazy party hound" am I to assume that means sober social events with a great deal of mingling? In that case you should really enjoy Holland America. If you enjoy the spring break in Cancun ambiance and partying all night, then perhaps you should stick with Carnival. I would say most people turn in at 12:30 or so on HAL, while the disco does play on into the morning.
As for as food goes, I enjoyed it both times on the "dam ships" but then again I am not hard to please. I have been on HAL twice and cannot remember anyone complaining about dinner. The service was wonderful both times.
You said that "relaxing" is a virtue, then in that case that is a forte of that line compared to say Carnival. Nonstop "fun" is more of what attracts people to Carnival.
Did I feel out of place? Never! As a matter of fact due to the relatively smaller size (ONLY 1,200 people) I found it much easier to befriend other's near my age becouse I would see them off and on. A few years ago I was aboard a mega ship of over 2000 guest and would meet people once and never again and would get this lonely in the crowd feeling.
But then again, thats just my opinion.
Old October 29th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Mikey Sr.

My Mom( age 65) was looking into a cruise and when I mentioned Holland America she right out told me that line was too old for her. The fact that most of the passenger go to bed before 9:00 pm with their teeth in a glass really turn her off. HAL is a great line but I think Celebrtiy is better for professional non-crazy party hounds looking for a fun and relaxing vacation. My wife and I traveled on the Mercury this past January and just lover her.
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Thoth

Most passengers turn in at 9PM with their teeth in a glass? That is NOT true!
I am 39 years old and had a ball both times.

Maasdam Eastern Caribbean 2002
Statendam Alaska 2003
Amsterdam Alaska 2004(I hope)
Old October 30th, 2003, 05:35 AM
First Mate

"Most passengers turn in at 9PM with their teeth in a glass? "

That's ridiculous. Half the ship is in the dining room eating dinner at that time as 2nd seating doesn't start until 8:15pm. I don't know where your mother heard this, but she is wrong.

My daughter who is a Professional, is 41, has travelled with us many times and has enjoyed every one of her cruises.
Old October 30th, 2003, 08:24 AM
rram1234

hey jillian,
my hubby(38) and i(40) are booked on the veendam for 11/29, we too have heard these stories but have talked to people our age who have gone oh HAL cruises and loved it, relaxation is the word they all used. this will be our first HAL cruise, can give you a rundown after we come back, which will be 12/6 if you want.