Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:37 AM
AndyR

Default Disembarking - Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean

Hello all,

For anyone who has sailed the Eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam, what was the quickest time were you actually able to get the airport upon disembarking. I've got a 10:45 departure and I'm a touch concerned. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Disembarking - Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean

Why 10:45?? do you have to go to work??? or you don't like the sunshine in FtL????

You should be able to make it, if everything is on time, but if not who knows.

Barry

Old October 9th, 2003, 03:30 PM
AndyR

Default Re: Re: Disembarking - Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean

Barry,

. That was my best option back into Atlanta so I figured I'd roll the dice. Thanks for your opinion.

Andy
Old October 9th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Disembarking - Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean

If you are only going to Atlanta, and there is two or more of you I would think about driving there, I believe it is only a 8 hour drive. Should be a lot less hassles then flying, maybe more fun, and the cost should be cheaper.

Barry

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

We drive to Ft.L from Atlanta and much prefer it to flying, but that is personal choice. It is close to 670 miles and takes approx. 11 hours.
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
dick stein

I've read horror stories on long waits at FFL and the need to get to airport two hours early. I hope the cruise line made your reservations otherwise you may be in trouble. This is why I fly in the day before and leave a day later. With what I save on airfare I can afford it and I got tired of lousy airline reservations at a high cost.
Old October 10th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife

I'm with you Dick!!! We always fly in the day before, and never leave sooner than the day after. It's stressful enough just getting there, without worrying if you're going to miss the ship/plane.

Becky
Old October 15th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Yeoman

We didn't get off the ship until almost 10:00AM, our friend was flying into Atlanta & had to be at the airport by 11:30. She made it with plenty of time to spare. The airport is very close to the pier................you may be pushing it but it is possible. Make sure when when fill out your disembarkment form you let them know you have an early flight (it may help) Cathy
Old October 15th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Captain

I would never book a flight earlier than 12 Noon. It is very possible you will disembark on time and make the flight and it is also possible you will not.

There are so many reasons disembarkation can be held up and people miss those before Noon flights. Then again, lots of times they make them.
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:51 PM
AndyR

Thanks for all your reponses. Living life on the edge - what a rush.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:44 AM
AndyR

FOLLOW UP

We completed the cruise last Saturday and all went well. We received number 1 for our disembarkation order and were off the boat by 8:30 and in a cab driving to the airport by 8:45. We arrived at our gate after the security check and baggage checks around 9:15, an hour and a half before our flight.

TIP
The golf pro running the simulator told us that you could request an earlier departure if you don't automatically get an early disembarkation number.
Old November 10th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Captain

Happy it worked out well for you, Andy. You were fortunate and very often what you experienced will occur. But, when we disembarked from Zuiderdam in September, anyone with a flight prior to 12 noon, did not make it. The ship was delayed arriving back to FLL as they had problems raising one of the tenders at HMC and the ship left late from the island. Leave late = arrive late.

One never knows what hold ups there can be with arrival time, Immigration delays, idiots who don't pay their bill etc etc
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

JOE SMITH, JOE SMITH, Please report to the front office......
JOE SMITH, JOE SMITH, PLEAASSE report to the front office.

"One never knows what hold ups there can be with arrival time, Immigration delays, idiots who don't pay their bill etc etc"

You are so right Judy.

Barry

Old November 10th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Captain

Some on the BB's have suggested that when they call the lingerers names and give cabin numbers, pax should merge en masse at that door and start banging on it.

Hopefully, they are "home". Otherwise, it's a waste of everyone's energy.

If your cabin is nearby to one of those called repeatedly, GO THERE AND WAKE THE FOOLS UP.
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Here is the best delay yet...Nor'easter that casued the ship to be 8 hours late ito NY..Lucky I live there..but my "limo" wasn't there since he had no way to know when the ship would arrive.... Back up plans can't hurt. I don't book nonrefunable tickets unless I know that I can make the flight, like when visiting friends.