Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Passenger

Default Has anyone ever missed a sailing because of a delayed flight

I am wondering how Holland America would handle getting people onboard if their flight was delayed and they missed the initial sailing. For the first time in 30 years, we missed connections because of airport closures due to bad weather. This happened coming AND going to a land tour in Europe. We were pretty much on our own to meet up with the tour.

We've been on 16 cruises and this has never happened, but it seems that airports now close during storms and it could easily happen. What if there were no open flights and we couldn't get to the next port?

I know I sound paranoid, but does anyone know what the cruiselines could or would do?
Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Dick Stein

Default Re: Has anyone ever missed a sailing because of a delayed fl

Yes I have and it cost me dearly and that is why I make my own arrangements and fly in a day early like for my 11/15 flight on Zuiderdam and am staying at Hampton inn near airport because they have complimentary shuttle to both ship and airport. Good luck. Last year a group of 40 had airfare arrangements with NCL, missed boat and they didn't want to do anything. It went to court and was settled before it came to trial.
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Captain

Good advice....whenever possible, fly to embarkation port a day (or more) early.

You can still do air with HAL, if you wish. It is called "air deviation" and for a fee of about $35-$50 pp you pick the day and flight you desire.

If you have booked your air with HAL, they will pay to fly you to meet the ship if you missed the ship.

That being said, we just about never fly on HAL air but ALWAYS fly to embarkation port at least one day early.
Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:20 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife
Default Re: Re: Has anyone ever missed a sailing because of a delaye

We ALWAYS fly in the day before, and leave the day after. Yes, you have to pay for a hotel, but that's cheaper than trying to re-book a flight or try and catch up with the ship.

BTW, we're staying at the same Hampton Inn (in Plantation, FL?) when we go on our Nov. 23 cruise on the Maasdaam. The shuttles to and fro and the free breakfast hooked us...

Becky
Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:55 PM
First Mate

ASUwife - and we're at the Embassy Suites (off of Hotwire). We leave four weeks from tomorrow!!! I'm looking forward to the Maasdam!

Old October 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to ASUWife
Default Re: Re: Has anyone ever missed a sailing because of a delaye

We found the Hampton on Expedia and got a special rate...woo hoo!!! To me, even if you have to pay $80 for a room, it beats having to pay all of those cab fares AND worrying about going out for breakfast. We figure that the cab fares to and from the airport and cruise port were going to run us at least $100 total, and 2 breakfasts out would be about $30, so we basically ended up only paying $30 more for a room for two nights...

I am getting WAY excited...we don't have our cruise documents yet. Do you? We did a guarantee for our cabin, so are excited to see if we got an upgrade.

Be sure to check back closer to our date...maybe we'll be next door neightbors!

Becky