Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 11th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Dave T

Default Check-In @FLL Volendam

Any up-to-date suggestions regarding check in with HA in Fort Lauderdale?

We are cruising the Volendam on 11/1 and have never been on HA or sailed out of FLL. We are arriving a day early, so can arrive at the dock whenever. Arriving at Noon - 1:00 seems to be a popular recommendation. Opinions here?

Also, it seems like pre-registering on HA's web site must be the thing to do. Any downside experiences?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Check-In @FLL Volendam

there are no down side to cruiseing ,have fun
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Been on the Volendam twice and many other HAL ships -in fact, going on the Maasdam in 12 days for 2-7 day back to back cruises! Can't wait!

Getting to the Pier around noon is my preference. Some times I'm lucky and get onboard by 12:30, other times it's 1:30, never much later. Don't know what the reasons are, but I feel more secure being at the pier early - traffic, crowds to consider. I also take a cab to the pier instead of the shuttle from hotels - it's usually very inexpensive and seems somehow easier to just have to look after my own luggage instead of a busload of it.

I have mixed feelings about HAL's online pre-registering. It might speed things up but I'm somehow leery about having my passport number and all other personal info out there in cyberspace. Probably being paranoid, but it's just not for me.

In any event, the boarding time varies from cruise to cruise - probably a lot of factors involved - have been on some ships as early as noon (Princess) and as late as 2:30. Just get there early, see what happens - it's a great place to "people watch" and arriving a day early affords you the luxury of a no stress sailing day!

Bon Voyage!
Old October 13th, 2003, 10:03 PM
suej

Are there any shops on the pier at FLL? Coming in on the red-eye the morning of our cruise on Dec 1, would like to buy my sons favorite beer to take on board, no line that I have been on has stocked Micheloeb!
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:36 AM
kathryn

Default Re: Re: Check-In @FLL Volendam

hey belgique,

are you going to be on the 10/26 and and 11/2 voyages. I will be on the 11/2 sailing. I also post over at cruisecritics.com and there are about 20ish of us on the 11/2 voyage. So come meet the gaggle of internet sailors.
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

kathryn: yes to both! would love to meet you and the "gaggle" - just tell me where and when and I'll be there!

Are you getting as excited as I am?
Old October 14th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Beginner

Thanks for your thoughful comments and suggestions. I had, in fact, thought about taking a cab instead of the motel shuttle.

Old October 14th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Coney

Hi, Nothing new to add except that I also will be on the Nov 1 sailing of the Vollendam. I will be traveling with my son and his fiance. I look forward to meeting everyone on board and if anyone would like to write with advice for a first timer I sure would appreciate it. See you onboard.
Coney
Old October 14th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Admiral

I am also sailing nov 1 volendam.. first time with holland america
Old October 20th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Beginner

Check out the First-Timers section of this site.

If you still have specific questions, post again and I see if I can help.

Old October 21st, 2003, 07:32 AM
First Mate

Sue - there are no shops at the Pier, but there are a couple of grocery stores on your way from the airport, so just get your cab driver to stop at one of them to pick up any supplies you need, that is if you are taking a cab and not HAL's transfers.

Happy Sailing. You will love the Volendam. 2 cruises on her in the last year and another at Christmas. I will try to find out if the ship carries Micheloeb.
Old October 31st, 2003, 11:15 AM
kathryn

belgique,

I do not know if you went over to the CruiseCritic board, but most days the gaggle on the Nov. 2 sailing will meet in the Dolphin Bar on sailing day and in the Ocean Bar an hour before first sitting the rest of the time.
Old November 2nd, 2003, 06:08 PM
Vada

We will be sailing on HAL Statendam on 12/15. I am unable to pre-register. First attempt was a couple weeks ago. It accepts my info for booking shore excursions, so I know I'm using the correct numbers. I wrote them an email a couple weeks ago, and no reply. Are we going to have a lenghty wait just because we are not pre-registered?? I did print out the form and we will present it at embarkation. What has been your experience? Thanks!
Vada
Old November 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM
Richard Tremblay

Sue,

My Wife, Nancy (55), and I (58) have never sailed out of FLL, so I don't know if they have shops at the peir; however; at other US Ports there are no shops. You may have to go into town for your bear
Nancy and I are arriving on 30 Nov and staying at the Hyatt Peir 66 Hotel overnight. We should be on-board by 1:00pm. May be we could met for a cocktail at pool side.

Richard
Old November 21st, 2003, 11:14 AM
Sea Wench

We arrived for our cruise at about noon - got right on the ship. Rooms were ready by 1:45.
Lines were not long and moved quickly.

No shops on the pier.

When we arrived in Port Everglades, there was one checkpoint [Broward Sheriff's Office]. When we were leaving, a week later, we noticed there were 2 checkpoints set up for those entering the port.

SW
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Sue James

Default Re: Re: Re: Check-In @FLL Volendam

Hi Richard and Nancy, a drink at poolside or darn near anywhere will no doubt be welcome after our red eye from here. Have you posted on the "other board"? There are a couple of others going on our cruise but have not made a meeting place as yet - busy week. Feel free to email me if you have time. sue