Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:03 PM
DBunk

Default Pay on HAL ships

Interesting reading here...

http://www.cruisejoblink.com/00jobs.html
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2003, 05:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Pay on HAL ships

And your point is???? I don't see anything about HAL salaries.

Post Edited (10-30-03 05:40)
Old October 30th, 2003, 06:19 AM
DBunk

Click on "job descriptions" then select a specific occupation.
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Thoth

Thanks for providing that site. I found it to very interesting! It would seem that the moral of the story is that we should always try to tip nicely for a job well done.
Cabin attendants, waiters and busboys $50 dollors a month? WOW
Seaman $500 to $700 a month and no tips.
Cruise Directors however can make up to $6000 a month.
On HAL ships there does seem to be a social order:
Dutch officers
North Americans
Indonesians
Philippinos
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I see that someone else is trying to stir the pot again, and has nothing better to do then confuse you with some figures that do apply to HAL.
As far as I know, Cabin Stewards get about $300 per month from HAL, and one free ride home per year/contract, and this is my point, they live in Indonesia/ Philippines, where the cost of living is low and the average salary is about $125 per month, and with HALs tipping policy do you really think they would work on the ship if they where not being paid a good salary compared to what they would make at home.
Most of the crew that I have talked to have a family at home and are only doing this for 5 to 10 years, and then plan to retire back in there home country.

Barry

Old October 31st, 2003, 09:41 PM
DBunk

Just what pot is it that you think anyone is trying to stir?
Old October 31st, 2003, 10:36 PM
Admiral

Maybe some folks should take very large rolls of $100 bills and pass them out to everyone working on the ship. That way they could go home and and not worrry so much about the poor, misused, taken advantage of, and otherwise abused ships personel.
Old November 1st, 2003, 08:35 AM
DBunk

Some people sure are touchy when the subject of tipping comes up!
I wonder why?
I posted the link because I found it interesting and informative.
I don't work for nor am I related to anyone having anything to do with HAL.
I do, however, like to base my actions and/or words on the facts rather than rumors or conjectures.
Although I have never cruised before, I am sure I will like the policy aboard the Zaandam as far as tipping. I have been places that practice adding a tip to the bill as a matter of course and I don't like it.
I am sure I will tip on board more or less the same as I tip normally.
(Not to start an argument, but it seems to me that wherever a person might reside and the cost of living at that place, no matter what that might be, should have nothing to do with the amount of the tip I leave.)
Old November 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

"(Not to start an argument, but it seems to me that wherever a person might reside and the cost of living at that place, no matter what that might be, should have nothing to do with the amount of the tip I leave.)"

This statement is right on, but where they live has to do with there Salary as I have stated, and I am glad you are not one of the people out there that think that they have to tip someone just because some other cruise line says so and how much to tip also.

As I have said before I do tip for outstanding service and that is what I receive on HAL 95% of the time, and the people who give me bad or no service do not receive a tip, and if they are really bad I will inform the Hotel Manager of what the problem is and I know there will not be any more problems.

I think that all the Guests on a HAL ship should follow All the rules set down by HAL, including there tipping policy.

"Tipping Not Required" Policy

Exceptional service is part of the Holland America cruise experience. Because you are our guest, it is our goal to make sure you receive the finest service possible. Our "tipping not required" policy ensures that the professional and gracious service you receive on board is truly sincere; that we are dedicated to providing the most relaxed cruise vacation, not simply providing service in return for tips. You are free, however, to extend monetary recognition if you wish-it's entirely up to you. (Company policy prohibits us from suggesting how much.)

Please remember that this "tipping not required" policy does not extend beyond the ship. In terminals, airports, ports of call and on special shore excursions, you should tip consistent with customary local practices.

Barry

Post Edited (11-01-03 13:46)
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Borden Hildenbrand

Default Re: Re: Pay on HAL ships

We spoke to the young woman working in the Java Cafe regarding pay. She told us that they were paid well based on the standard living in her country. The tips were an extra bonus if received and we did tip. She told us good jobs were just not available in her country and she was very happy to have this one. I think you could tell by the smile on her face, it did not appear forced. She has been on the ship for 3 contracts.
Old November 4th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Thoth

For my part I stirred no pots nor do I wish to step on anyone's toes. I simply quoted facts listed on the webside listed. If some wish not to tip, well, fine with me.
Probably HAL pays better than those figure listed. But it is a fact that HAL and Carnival (the 2 I have sailed with) do hired people from places where jobs are hard to come by. That should tell me something. It is my understanding that Delta Queen Steamboat cruises hire Americans to wait tables and tend bar. And i also hear that you pay extra for it. Logic suggest that the staff on Carival Corporation ships do not get payed well by American standards. Most waiters in the USA do rely on tips to make ends meet, so the same must be true for these harworking folks on ships. That's why I tip.
Old November 4th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Borden Hildenbrand

Most of the cruise staff who handle jobs like running bingos, Cruise Director, the musicians,etc., these people come from countries like Canada, New Zealand, England, USA, to name a few and I'm sure they are paid a wage that would be competitive with jobs on land in their countries.
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:36 PM
DBunk

I really don't want to get in anymore discussions about this but it just seems incredible that people refuse to believe what is in black and white in front of them. The site deals with employee recruitment ... I cannot fathom how someone would think the wages/salaries posted would be less than those actually paid! ( Remember, room and board is included.)
'Nuff said!
Enjoy your cruise!
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Admiral

I truly wish that people in this country would worry more about what our policemen, teachers and especially our military is paid than what someone on a cruise ship makes. Just my thoughts as I see body bags coming home, see and hear about a cop killed here or there, a teacher assaulted in his/ her classroom, etc.
Yet we seem to worry about those poor souls on a cruiseship that always seem to have a hardluck story to tell to anyone with willing ears.
Oh well, as I said, just my humble thoughts.
Old November 5th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Barry

Post Edited (11-06-03 08:33)