Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Tom Morrissey

Default Rotterdam Amsterdam-New York tis July

I am thinking of doing this transatlantic this summer. I have done several with Cunard on the QE2,but most were strictly the crossing. I have never sailed from East to West and look forward to gaining those hours. I shall be 53 years old this year and shall be traveling solo. Am I too young to mesh with what I understad to be an older crowd, albeit I have always managed to get along with people my senior. I do like to go to the nightclubs after diner and mix. Is there much activity later in the evening, or does everyone turn in. I also was wondering about the restaurants and food on board. Some say great ,while other express mediocrity.The ports seem interesting, and I like the sound of the size of the cabins.I have also sailed Royal Caribbean,Celebrity,Crystal,and Royal Olympic. I have read here that the service is top-notch on HAL. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tom
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2003, 01:24 PM
slotl

Default Re: Rotterdam Amsterdam-New York tis July

Last year my husband and I did back-to-back cruises on the Rotterdam. We did New England/Canada (Montreal to Boston 7 days) followed by the transatlantic (16 days Boston to London). It stopped at Greenland, cruised Prince Christian Sound, two stops in Iceland, Faroe Islands, Orkney Islands, Amsterdam, Edinburgh Scotland....

It was fantastic.... one of the best cruises we have ever been on (we have been on over 30 cruises). This is a DON'T MISS opportunity.

Most of the other passengers were experienced cruisers and travelers. I wouldn't worry about traveling alone.... talking to the other passengers about their travel adventures was an unbelieveable experience. One of the gentlemen at our dinner table had 1,250 nights on HAL.. Yup, you heard me correctly 1,250 nights. He talked about his world cruises and he knew just about all the officers on the ship. The officers even joined us for dinner.

He would tell stories about "Kissing Annie" an older lady who does the world cruise every year. She takes two suites, one for herself and the other suite for her clothes. She never wears the same outfit twice on the 100 day cruise. The next time you are on an HAL cruise ask any officer about "Kissing Annie" and they will all tell you stories about her.

Bottom line: Life is too short..... as Nike says: "Just do it".

Slotl
Old November 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Rotterdam Amsterdam-New York tis July

Last year I did the transatlantic San Juan to London. Loosing an hour ever night was awful. I would never do west to east again. You are smart choosing east to west.
I was on Celebrity's Constellation. I was 54 at the time. The crowd did not feel that much older and there were even a few kids on the ship.

I believe a cruise is what you make it. I would rather be on a cruise with 90 years olds than 25 yr olds. I have always had a great time on Holland America. We are scheduled to do the Rotterdam May 17, 2004, a 10 day to the Caribbean.

The cabins are very good size and the public area are all very comfortable. I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.
Hope you have a great trip.
Norma