Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2003, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Default safe in Maasdam?

Can someone please tell me if there is a safe in the Maasdam mini-suites?
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique
Default Re: safe in Maasdam?

There are safes in all Maasdam cabins. They are, however, the type that you need to use your credit card to open and close as opposed to the "program your own combination" type.

I prefer the combination type as I feel part of the reason you want a safe in the first place is to put your credit cards in it! But these safes work just as well.

Bon Voyage!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 02:57 AM
Cruise Maniac

Belgique,

You don't need to use your credit card. The magnetic strip on your cabin key will lock & unlock the safe.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Duh...why didn't someone tell me that 10 years ago? Thought it was silly to use the credit card that should have been locked up in the first place!

That's what I love about this board - after 25 cruises I still learn something every day!

Does it surprise you that I'm blonde?
Old November 22nd, 2003, 02:55 PM
First Mate

Are you sure that the cabin key will unlock the safe? You can't use it on other HAL ships that use the same method, in fact I don't think the cabin key has a magnetic strip, but I may be wrong.

We take an old expired gas card, or use our library or drug store card and put our credit card inside the safe.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: safe in Maasdam?

Thanks for the informative replys. I'm going to take along another card, that has no valur, but has a magnetic stripe, and give it a try.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 10:25 PM
Passenger

If the Maasdam does not have digital combo safes you can use your Safeway or Vons or any card that has a magnetic strip. If you were able to use your cabin card nothing would stop someone from nabbing it and using it to gain entry to both your cabin and your safe....We got off the Amsterdam a week ago and the safes were the digital combo type.
Old November 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM
j redgate

What I can't figure out is why ya'll are packing the family jewels. It's just seven days worth of spending cash. Do you really expect some catburgaler to hop on board? If you are so worried about your valuables leave them at home.
Old November 29th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Gizmo

The only ship that uses a "cabin like card" for the safe is the Statendam. The safe card looks like the cabin card but it did not open the cabin door.
Old November 30th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are booked on the Statendam next April. Can you clarify what the 'safe card' is and how the safes on Statendam differ from Zaandam which took any magnetic strip card.

Thanks,

Mary L.
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:41 PM
First Mate

*Mary L* - HAL ship safes are all the same..............I don't know about the HAL ID card working on the safe but know for sure that it does not have to be your CCard - like someone said, it should be in the safe! - any VALID card with a magnetic strip works - we use an association membership one.
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:32 PM
First Mate

Suki - all HAL ships are not the same. I believe it is the Rotterdam that uses a key. One of the ships we were on in the past couple of years used this method, which surprised us as we were used to using a card with a magnetic strip. We had to buy a key ring to put the safe key on.

A friend just returned from the Maasdam last week. I will ask her what they use.

Post Edited (12-01-03 19:35)
Old December 1st, 2003, 07:33 PM
Gizmo

Suki,

Not ALL safes work the same on Hal ships. The Amsterdam has safes that use a punched in code. Some use cards with magnetic strips and the Statendam uses a different method, it does NOT use a magnetic card.

Mary L,

On the Statendam the safes had a card that looked just like the card for you cabin.
You insert it into a slot in the safe.
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Gizmo,

Can I assume that the safe card will be in the safe when we arrive or do we need to go to the Purser's desk or Customer Service to get it?

Mary L.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, the Rotterdam used a safe key, at least last April.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:28 AM
First Mate

As I said above, my friends just came off the Maasdam last week - I asked her about the key for the safe and here is her reply:

"Any VALID card with a magnetic strip - we used my IATA Travel Card - tried the expired one and it didn't work!

The cabin key is the grey one with holes at one end."

That surprised me that an expired card did not work on the Maasdam, even though it works on other ships that use the same method.

Wouldn't it be nice if HAL had the same system for ALL their ships, then we wouldn't be surprised each time we got on a different ship.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
Gizmo

Mary L,

Sorry but I just can't remember if it was in the safe or not. The safe was in such an incovinient place that I used the drawers with the keys instead.

We had a suite (S) and it was in the cabinet under where the TV sits. It sat far in the back and you had to get down on your knees and still bend over to get to it. I have always found the safe in closets before. I have no idea where they are in other cabins.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:45 AM
Familiar Face

We just got off the Maasdam 2 days ago, and our safe was conveniently located in the closet at eye level. We were in what I believe HAL calls a Deluxe Verandah Suite, on the Verandah deck. We used an old card with a magnetic strip (I have no idea if it's still valid for its actual purpose) and it worked perfectly fine in the safe.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:16 PM
Captain

We just returned from b-to-b's on Maasdam and I assure you our expired, old grocery store card with magnetic strip worked just fine on the safe....as always.

Amsterdam has touch pad where you pick your own four digit number to lock/unlock.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:38 AM
Passenger

Gosh! These message boards work great.
I never could have gotten so much info, on the subject, from a travel agent.
We will be using an expired c.c, for the safe on our Masdam cruise 25 April 2004.