Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Jean Swenson

Default Holland America

Dear other Cruisers: Not only does Holland America make people sick - but they have the worst customer service in the industry. Avoid them at all possible cost. We were lied to, beaten up mentally and treated like criminals - for no reason whatsoever.

My television set did not work - so my mother-inlaw called help. They came and tried to fix it but we were behind a mountain - so no fixing it. The next day - they accused me of lewd behavior towards (i was in a robe) the person who came in the room??? It was a total and stupid lie - because I had complained about their lying about our room when they sold it to us - the room was too small for 4 people (lies) and my son had to sleep on the deck (I have pictures.)

This was because they lied and said a curtain divided the room and it did not. This was the worst $15,000 I ever spent in my whole life. I am warning people to stay away from this company. When I went to complain to the Captain - I was toid I would be arrested and they had handled the problem/comlaint about me with my husand. It was so weird it ruined my trip - I felt like a criminal and it was done on purpose to shame me. They were very much like NAZI's. I beg you do not give this company a penny of your money. They are eviul, nasty, cruel and will make you ill. Since this happened they have had many cruises full of sick people - that is there now and future karma - avoid, avoid. I am happy to tell anyone more about my cruise from hell. Sincerely, Jean
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:05 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Holland America

You don't say what ship you were on and the date of your cruise or the type of cabin you had.

Would you like to give us this information?????

Who did you book through - on line or a Travel Agent, or directly with HAL?

If it was a TA, they should have told you whether the cabin you booked was too small for 4 people. If it was an on-line booking, they may not have told you this information.

Post Edited (12-03-03 08:09)
Old December 3rd, 2003, 10:14 AM
Passenger

What a crock!!!!!
Old December 3rd, 2003, 12:10 PM
Gizmo

Without all the facts these complaints are not very valid.

First off, there is no way a cruise line allowed 4 in a cabin that could not sleep 4 people.

It is a fact of life that cruise ship cabins are SMALL, unless you have a big suite or penthouse. The sizes of all cabins are available. Did you not get the size of the cabin before you booked?

As Dizy asked, who did you deal with? Hal, a TA or internet booking.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Yeoman

please explain how you spent 15000.00 for a cruise when all 4 people slept in the same rom
Old December 3rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
AndyR

To ensure their high level of customer satisfaction, HAL always threatens their customers with arrest. : ^

Especially those who are completely rational and civil.

Ditto on the "What a Crock!!!"
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:48 PM
flagship

Seeing as you put in your post you would be happy to tell us about your "cruise from hell", you have our undivided attention. You have "the floor".

We shall await your report.

For some odd reason, I suspect we may never hear from this poster again.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 09:50 PM
flagship

I did a searchand I think this is the first post by this person.

Welcome to the Board.
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Holland America

She has another thread started- The Ryndam- right on this page just a couple threads down from here. Another diatribe of complaints, but interestingly doesn't mention the 'problems' that are listed on this thread, just more and different ones. She's either a troll or more likely off her meds. Notice all these things were done to her on purpose, everyone was lying about her and to her, etc.
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Familiar Face

I can't believe there is any truth to this post. Our HAL cruise could not have been more perfect. In fact, one of our friends asked us if there was anything we wish were different or better, or any problems at all, and we honestly could not think of a thing! Last week's cruise on Maasdam (our first cruise) was absolutely glorious, and we are already planning another HAL cruise. If anyone reading Jean's post is having doubts about HAL because of what she said, I urge you to weigh her outlandish post with the many many other posts here from tremendously satisfied travellers.
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:47 AM
First Mate

Peaches - sounds like the same person, but 2 different surnames and different e-mail address.

I bet we don't hear from her either. She is a Troll! What a crock!
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to belgique

Guess I've just been lucky in my 10+ HAL cruises! Never been threatened, insulted, accused of anything other than maybe overeating, nor lewd behavior (unless you count that one night I thought I was Michelle Pfeiffer in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" and remember slinking on the grand piano in the Piano Bar for some photo ops!).

Well, guess I'll just have to trust my gut instinct and not cancel my next HAL cruise!
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hi all...

I urge you not to be negative towards people who post here just because they say negative things. You are calling her a "troll" and saying her post is a "crock" but I see no reason why a person would say these things unless there was a grain of truth to what she was saying.

Granted - it is easy to feel the emotion behind her words, and it is obvious she is expressing her feelings more than the facts. It is also obviously her side of the story and not Holland America's. But people ARE allowed to post such messages here without being called names or insinuating they are lying.

We strive NOT to censor people here, and we do not pull posts just because they are negative about the cruise industry. By the same token, it isn't right to "censor" by intimidation.

I expect this person has a legitimate gripe about something and some strange things did occur on this trip between her and management. Does it make sense that a woman would come to a public forum and make up a story that she was accused of lewd behavior? No, it doesn't.

I agree with you, that on a vacation one should roll with a few punches and not expect perfection. I have seen people ruin very expensive vacations simply because they spent so much time focusing on what was wrong instead of what was right.

I don't know this person, but I feel sorry for anyone who spends a lot of money and has a bad experience. Let's not make it worse by ridiculing her. Rather, I encourage you all to draw her out to try to ascertain what really happened. The truth should be the goal here.

By the way - I worked aboard HAL ships for 9 months, and the service was usually exemplary, but I have been on subsequent HAL cruises where I did feel the staff was not good with English at all, especially in the dining room. This is typical when cruise lines expand their fleets quickly (and hence is not a problem limited to Holland America). You can't staff every new ship with experienced staff.

Post Edited (12-04-03 10:53)

Old December 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Paul: Point taken - apology issued for my sarcastic post, although I'm still guilty of the overeating part!
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Let me get this straight. It is quite reasonable to come on this board to make outlandish and unbelievable charges against the cruise line that is always voted in the top 5 by most polls. Charges that are so rIdiculous that no rational person could possibly believe them. But we who dispute those charges are out of line.....what a CROCK!
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Admiral

I'm thinking Paul's post was, in fairness to all involved here, giving someone the benefit of the doubt. He did not say he believed nor disbelieved the posters message, merely that this forum should be the perfect venue to air such issues.

Personally, I think......nevermind!
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM
slotl

Enjoy your future cruises on another cruise line. Some of us passengers enjoy the level of service on HAL.

Just remember that you are on VACATION, **** happens.........that is a fact of life. slow down and enjoy the change of environment and go with the flow!!!

P.S. you cannot expect TV service when you are between mountains. Your TV service on the ship is coming in thru a satelitte signal which is blocked by the mountains. If you want to watch TV so badly, STAY HOME!!
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

"Let me get this straight. It is quite reasonable to come on this board to make outlandish and unbelievable charges against the cruise line that is always voted in the top 5 by most polls. Charges that are so rIdiculous that no rational person could possibly believe them. But we who dispute those charges are out of line.....what a CROCK!"

I did not say you could not dispute what the poster says. I said you should refrain from name-calling.

Personally, I don't believe a person would come here and make "outlandish and unbelievable charges" for no reason. Something happened there. Do I think the message is skewed and the poster is feeling some buyer's remorse? absolutely.

But, we encourage debate and even controversy. Intimidating people who post messages, even hugely negative ones, doesn't help promote debate - it is intimidation.

If you are "pro-Holland America" and there is nothing wrong with that, then I encourage you to countermand what the negative post alleges. But I don't encourage anyone to personally attack the person who wrote the post, it just isn't necessary nor does it do anything to refute the allegations of the post.

Old December 5th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Passenger

Refrain from name calling???? I will say no more than to quote the sweet Miss Jean. This message board has become a bore and there is no real information here so this is just the impedence I needed to go elsewhere....

"They are eviul, nasty, cruel and will make you ill. Since this happened they have had many cruises full of sick people - that is there now and future karma - avoid, avoid. "
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Sea Wench

Paul,

I wish there were a moderator like you on a few other message boards!

I agree, we should dispute her findings, challenge her "facts," but not make our arguments personal.
Attack what she said, not who she is.

Having sailed on HAL recently, I have to say that the service was good and any problems we had were quickly addressed.

sw
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Sea Wench: Totally agree with you - Paul is a diplomatic and tactful moderator...not to mention very articulate.

I was guilty of a sassy retort early on regarding this post, but Paul's explanation was so clear and well said that I have more respect for both him and for the original poster of the complaint.

As the kids say, "Paul ROCKS!"
Old December 5th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Tom morrissey

I do believe that something bad has happened. We all have been is such situations, when we are so sure of our stance. I know, on my own part, my prejudices victimize me perhaps to lash out.There has been a misunderstanding between this person and the line.When this happens I wait until I have a clear head and a clerarer understanding of just what happened. I verify my stance with friends and strangers, and if they are in accord, I oftentimes shall stand my ground. There have been times,however, when I have had to swallow my pride and my anger and admit that I was mistaken, or at least overreacted, which is most often the case. I have traveled on many ships and have occasionally"gone overboard" over something trival. I think this person is best served to truly re-evaluate the situation- and If she truly feels mistreated ---notify management. I am certain it will be rectified.
Best to all
Tom
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Admiral

Tom: Once again, cooler heads prevail. Well said!
Old December 6th, 2003, 01:50 AM
stefer

Hmm... where has Jean gone in all this frenzy??
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Gizmo

I was wondering the same thing.
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:04 AM
flagship

I seriously doubt we shall hear another word from the original poster.

Seems to be a personal vendetta going on and seeing as she said she would explain what her "gripes" were, if she truly thought she had been wronged, we would have heard the rest of the story by now....at least the rest of the story from her vantage point.

For anyone to come to any board and write such outlandish things as a cruiseline will make you sick and then disappear, tells a great deal about the poster.
Old December 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Tom...

I must say I admire your presence of mind, to be take a deep breath and review what happened with friends and come to a conclusion about the events after taking all the emotions out of it. I wish all people were capable of doing that.

I get out of line myself sometimes, too. Just last night my girlfriend told me I was rude to a restaurant manager because I told her she wasn't handling a service problem fast enough - specifically a drink had been served to my girlfriend with sour milk and the waiter was not checking up on us to see if we needed anything. We asked a busboy to get our waiter but he never showed up, so we called over the manager.

The manager sat down at the table with us and started chatting instead of handling the problem (she was very touchy-feely, even holding my hand). I said, "you're a nice person, but you should already be gone and handling this problem."

I guess the bottom line is that with cruising we have extremely high expectations for excellent service. I don't think you get service anywhere like you get it on a cruise ship. Maybe we are spoiled by that for everything else, like local restaurants. And that means I have to hold my expectations in check once in awhile and remember that not everyone has experienced cruise-style levels of service.

Old December 7th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Gary L Rounds

I can't understand how the original poster could spend $15,000 on this cruise, unless she is maybe including airfare and her onboard account. Still seems incredibly high and unreasonable.

Gary
Old December 9th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I can understand it, but that also could be a big part of the buyer's remorse. Maybe she used an agency that charges top dollar and nickel and dimed her. You add in everything, not just air, but new clothes, souvenirs, shore tours, gambling and drinks. Then I can see 4 people spending that much.

Old December 9th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Double Ditto on the "Crock." And like another added, how in the world could anyone spend $15,000 for one stateroom on HAL?

I suspect this person has either:
1. An axe to grind, or
2. Psychological problems