Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Mhanback

Default What nights are usually formal?

Is there any set schedule as to when formal nights/casual nights are on HAL? We will be on the MS Oosterdam in January and I have no idea what to expect as far as how to do the dinner thing. We are going on a 7 night to Western Car. Is a polo shirt considered casual for men? Any help would be great!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Default Re: What nights are usually formal?

Often the first "at sea" day is formal just as the next to the last night of the cruise is often formal. Polo shirts are just fine for casual. A shirt with a collar of some sort is usually very acceptable. Dockers or similar pants are AOK on casual night as well.

There were many people dressed in quite casual attire on our Veendam cruise last week even on the night where suggested attire was "informal." It seems the old sport coat was quite unnecessary. There really was only a dress code on formal nights.

I hope that helps.

Post Edited (12-06-03 12:40)
Old December 5th, 2003, 08:51 AM
slotl

Default Re: What nights are usually formal?

Plan on formal nights when the ship is "at sea" or visits a port for 1/2 day.

Bank on it!!
Old December 5th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Re: Re: What nights are usually formal?

A typical HAL 7-day cruise has 2 formal nights - 1st is the captain's cocktail party

the second is usually the last sea day of the cruise, often the 6th day of the cruise.

A 10-day cruise will have 3 formal nights, same as above plus one in the middle, also usually a sea-day.

Old December 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Mhanback

Default Re: Re: Re: What nights are usually formal?

Thanks everyone..so am I understanding that there are 3 kinds of nights? Formal, informal, and casual? Or is casual and informal the same? Wow this is getting complicated!
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: What nights are usually formal?

Informal means sport coat attire for men and cocktail dresses for women. Many people were much more casual than that however. A nice shirt or sweater and pants is really just fine, I.M.H.O.

Our recent one week cruise had two formal nights, one informal night, and four casual nights. I hope that helps.

The second night, Monday, was at sea and was the welcome aboard formal night. Wednesday was the second formal night and was the Farewell dinner because Thursday we were in port until 11:00 P.M. Otherwise Thanksgiving would have been the formal night. First and last nights are always casual because of packing and unpacking issues.

Bon Voyage!