Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2004, 05:31 PM
glalonzo

Default Maasdam---Help

Hello Everyone.........................will be cruising on the Maasdam to New England/Canada....would be forever grateful for any info on ship and/or itinerary.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2004, 10:45 PM
ronn

Default Re: Maasdam---Help

Sailed this ship in the Eastern Carribean. Nice medium sized. Helpful stewards.
Didn't go to New England.
ronn
Old February 20th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Beginner

Hi,
Have sailed the Maasdam twice, she's a lovely ship. We took our first cruise on Maasdam and fell in love with cruising and HAL, had a verandah and was spoiled for anything else. If you have sailed on any newer ships with HAL you will not have any trouble finding your way around the ship. There are subtle differences in some areas. If you have specific questions about the ship I would try to answer...have not sailed your itinerary. The crew and staff as we have always found with HAL are the best.

Sandy
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:43 PM
JaneinRPV

Sailed western Carib. this fall, just after ship had been renovated. Had a suite that was wonderful, especially with the concierge and lounge available to those in the suites. Suite was twice as big as the veranda cabins. Service was excellent, especially the cabin service. Fresh fruit daily.

Dolly, our nightly head waiter was fantastic. He was so fun and had great recommendations.

Entertainment was ok.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Beginner

When are you cruising? I just booked the Canada/NE itinerary today. I am on the 19 June 2004 sailing.

Marie
Old April 20th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Texastart

I'm also booked on the maasdam to canada on 5-22-04 and have lots of questions.
I saw a post where it cost someone 40 bucks for 120 minutes on internet. What is the cost if you take your laptop and use the wireless areas?
Old April 26th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are going on the Maasdam B2B May 29th. Heard drycleaning was down and coffee was bad. This is our 4th HAL. Anyone know?
Old April 26th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Jkm7

Internet packages cost $55 (plus $3.95 one time start up charge) for 100 minutes .

There is also a 250 minute package for $100 (plus the same start up charge.)
Old May 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
md

Default Re: Re: Maasdam---Help

The internet packages....does that include the computer or do I need to bring my own?
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Jkm7

You may use the computers in the onboard Internet Cafe.
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Thoth

I did the Eastern Caribbean on the M-Dam in 2002. Its a classy ship. Not too big, not too small.
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Beginner

Sailed on Maasdam Feb 2004 out of Norfolk. After sailing on Noordam last year and experiencing some of the best food and service ever on a cruise, we looked forward to 11 days on a larger HAL ship, expecting outstanding food and service and the amenitites of a bigger, newer ship. We were extremely disappointed. The food was good, the food service marginal at best with improvements not seen even after commenting on the problem. There was a foul odor permeating the passenger corridors and stairwells throughout the entire cruise (it appeared there was a serious plumbing problem somewhere). Hopefully, these issues have been addressed and corrected, but our experience has certainly cooled us on sailing HAL again.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Haze

we are booked on the Maasdam Aug 21 & Aug 28 Canada New england.
We have done this run twice before but not on HAL.. The fortress of Louisbourg is definitely woth seeing. It is a side tour from sydney Nova Scotia. Sydney itself is very small village and not too much to see. From Halifax, Peggy's Cove is a must see.
wonderful little finshing village and historic lighthouse. Beautiful area. also the Halifax waterfront is worth a visit. There is an imteresting centre explaining what it was like for people who emigrated to North America from Europe and the British Isles. If you have a family memeber in the past who emigrated via halifax, you can reasearch all the information on their arrival that is the ship, their sponsers to get into the country etc. We did this for my husband's mother who emigrated fromn England. We were provide with all the information on her sailig and her sponsors into the country , etc.
Thera re also a lot of interesting shops along the waterfront.
Charlottwon is of course close to Snne of Grren gables . Quebec city if you have never been , is incredible. it is Noth America's only walled city. You really don;t need to take a tour here as there is so much to do just walking around. There is the lower city and the upper city. it is simply spectacular. The first thing you see is the Chateau sitting high up on a hill. There is the wonderful boardwalk that will take you for a lon long walk.
I hope this helps.