Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Blanche Welborn

Default Maasdam March2 Norfolk

Looking to see if there are any other 30-40's cruising on this sailing. My husband and I are traveling without any friends this time and we enjoy playing cards in the evenings. We would love to have some company!
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Bob in Baltimore

Default Re: Maasdam March2 Norfolk

Blanche,

Thought you might be here, as well as CC. We have a few years on you, so we are out of the 30-40 range. We will be scuba diving on every island....DOUBT if either of us is in for cards, either. We need to practice our ballroom dancing for a big wedding the weekend after we come back!

I've have very few contacts on our cruise....by the web sites...
Old February 16th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Sea Girl

Just returned, forget ballroom dancing on this ship, no big band music, no calipso band either. Very disapointing.
Old February 17th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Blanche Welborn

Default Re: Re: Maasdam March2 Norfolk

Sea Girl,

Just curious-what cruise line do you normally cruise on as it sounds that this may have been your first HAL outing?? I read your posts on CC and am curious about the specifics of bad service and the ship not being five star. I was just on the Maasdam two years ago and it was great.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Sea Girl

This was our 18th cruise and our major complaint is with our dining room service. Maybe we got a bad table, but service was sloooooooow where we had to walk out and miss dessert on most nights to see the show, or we wouldn't get out til 10:30. Some of us didn't get menus or napkins, or even plates. The food was usually luke warm or even cold, and my well done prime rib was bloody. The tablecloth was never changed the entire 10 days as a stain remained at our companions place. Iced tea was forgotten, also coffee. We think they were running out of coffee by day 6 as all the coffee everywhere was weak, just tinted water.

We knew this would be an older crowd and the passengers were very pleasant, but no big band music, nor a calipso band. You could dance in the Ocean Bar if you could keep your balance, but usually very crowded and they closed at 12:30. The Crows Nest was a joke for this age group. The space could have been used to satisfy an older crowd, bid band, blues, etc.

Anymore questions?