Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Spin

Default Soda cards?

I was on the Golden Princess recently and they had something called the Coke card. You could buy them at the beginning of the trip and drink all the fountain Coke you wanted. I am never straying from Holland America again, but do they have this too and I just don't know about it? If so, how and where do you purchase these cards? By the way, Golden Princess wished they had never sold me one of those cards by the end of the cruise .
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Soda cards?

I cruised on the Zuiderdam in October & yes they do have the soda cards. Actually can't remember where my husband purchased it, think possibly from the main desk. It was wonderful, used it many times as did our friend that went with us! If you are a soda drinker it will be worth the money!

Caribbean Princess
HAL Zuiderdam -October 2003
Disney Wonder - May 2004
HAL Statendam - May 2005
Disney Wonder - Sept 2006
Carnival Fantasy - Dec 2006
Carribean Princess - Oct 2007
Old January 28th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Carol's hubby

Yes they do, and if I remember correctly you could by it at any bar while on board, or before you got on the ship. I'm thinking $29.00, for a seven day trip.
Old January 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Spin

Thanks. I hit the Oosterdam in March, Veendam in November and Westerdam for New Year's Eve this year. Just think how much I will use it on the Westerdam .
Old January 30th, 2004, 08:52 PM
hova

Default Re: Re: Soda cards?

for a seven day cruise last month, it cost $27.50 on the Veendam.

hova
Old February 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from the 1/20/04 cruise on MAASDAM. The card was $42 and they made it clear it was for fountain drinks only.
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

By them from any bartender.
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:11 PM
retiredldo

Just make sure you can drink all that soda. Think about this, the cards vary but for the most part are what 27.00 So if the sodas with tips cost 1.75 each, that is 16 cans of soda or 192 ounces of soda. And if you get most of the sodas from the bar, they dont often give you the cans, lets assume it is 6 ounces of soda (doubt it with the ice) you have to drink over 32 glasses of soda to break even. Sort of doubt the cruise line is giving this stuff away

Pete
Old February 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Lynn&Wayne

I printed off HAL's Gift Order Form from their website, and it lists the "Fountain" Soft Drink Card on there at $26.25 for a 7-day, and $37.50 for a 10-day, however it also states that the Cards are not available on Noordam, Ryndam or Prinsendam.

Old February 19th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Joni Snyder

My son used the soda card on our Western Crib. cruise on the Maasdam last April.

I believe you can buy them at any bar. We bought ours on the Lido deck before we set sail. I think it was about $25 for the week trip.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
SMJ

Can you use these soda cards for bottled water?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 07:53 AM
Passenger

NO
Old November 23rd, 2004, 10:33 AM
Passenger

Just back from 12 nights on the Westerdam having never cruised before. On our first walk round the ship a waiter at the pool came up to us and asked if we wanted to buy a Coke Card even though we hadn't gone to the bar to buy anything. He explained what it was and that we needed to buy one each, as the Head Barman was strict about that. Thank goodness we just bought one however, as when we had a chance to work out if it was a good deal or not, we discovered it was a huge waste of money in our case. For the one, it cost us $51-75 in total. Perhaps if the weather had been warmer or if it had covered mineral water, we would have drunk more and got our moneysworth.
Old December 6th, 2004, 11:20 PM
slotl

I was on the Prinsendam (Europe), the coke cards were $24.99 for 20 cans of coke. You needed to carry this special 'card' and get it 'punched' at any bar every time you order a can of soda.

Note: The coke cans are NOT chilled, they are warm. You MUST have ice with the soda.

I HATED that method. Carrying around the card was a pain in the a... and most times the card would be in my room when I really wanted a coke. That system needs to be changed -- big time.

I have been on HAL for Caribbean cruises and I remember a different scenerio. i.e. UNLIMITED FOUNTAIN soft drinks at any bar.

I like the unlimited method because the soda is already cold from he fountain and there is no need for ice to dilute it. There is a sticker placed on your room key. You do not need to carry anything extra.
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:37 AM
Poppy

Now, all you Americans are going to think this is the dumbest question ever, but as a Scot I'm confused. What is soda? In our country soda is just a mixer you could perhaps add to whisky. Am I right in thinking in the US you call all carbonated soft drinks soda? If so, can you buy any carbonated drinks with these "soda cards" or is it only brands made by Coca Cola?
Old December 10th, 2004, 06:44 AM
k8supergrover

In canada and the US carbonated drinks that come from a can/bottle/fountain sprayer thingie can be called soda, pop, soda pop (rare). Also if you are particularly brand loyal make sure that you ask because alot of people will assume that if you want coke, pepsi is also fine. The soda used to mix with whiskey (or whisky ) is called "club soda" for some reason.
Because of the intense brand wars very few hotels/resorts/organizations offer both pepsi and coca cola products. Holland American is a coke ship (thank God) meaning that the only option where carbonated drinks are concerned are coke products...unless you smuggle the other on yourself.
Hope that helps
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Passenger

And in Maine a soft drink is also sometimes called a "tonic."

Does HAL's soda card just consist of a sticker they put on your passenger id card? I think we did that on NCL.

- Jane

HAL Westerdam 1/05 Bahamas
Old December 13th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Poppy

Thank you both for the info about soda.

Cheers.
Old December 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM
Passenger

We sailed on the Maasdam in November and purchased a soda card. We have been doing this since they started with them at Holland America. You can buy them at any bar on board. Just remember that this cards are not good for room service and I believe there are a few other restrictions. Well worth the money if you a big soda drinkers.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
thrifty

Here's how we handle the need for a pop on the cruise. The first port we get off at we buy a 12 pack of our fav.(pepsi) and take it back on board. It's a lot cheaper and the ice is free on the ship. If you run out next port pick up more.
Old December 25th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Bruce Chafkin

On CNN today; The average American consumed 872 sodas in 2004. That is nearly 3 per day for every man, woman, and child.
That is a frightening statistic.
I wish I had studied to be an oncologist..............................
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:22 AM
Don & Bonnie

HAL confirms that they have halted the drink card (December 2004) at least on the Oosterdam, until further notice. I was wondering where you got the drinks, assumed it was the cans in the room, until a poster (Carol's Hubby?) said "from the bar". So, if you just buy a Coke from the bar, what do they bill your room (+15% tip)? Ah heck, just stop at a store in Ft Lauderdale and stuff your checked luggage. (Bringing it from home will likely set you over 50-lbs on the airline luggage scale, making the room service cans seem cheap).
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to geoff

Yes - Holland America does have the cards -- a great deal as long as you average just over two per day.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
an

We are Pepsi drinkers and my husband is diabetic. We never have had a problem taking diet Pepsi on board. We also take bottled water. Both are very expensive on board ......and we then have extra space in luggage coming off ship.
Alice in FL
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:48 PM
Beginner

I'm addicted to diet mt. Dew! I'm assuming it's not avaiable onboard - pepsi. Will HAL give me a hard time about bringing a case on board for in room use? Do I need to check it in a suit case? Last cruise was with Carnival and I thought I was going to expire! Our 4 hour stop in Jamaica (due to weather) was spent searching for the stuff! Goofy I know!
Old February 18th, 2005, 02:47 PM
sailgirl

did you have to smuggle on the soda? The web site says you can not bring any on board. Do they not bother enforcing this?
Old February 18th, 2005, 03:29 PM
seawench

My understanding is that one soda is $2.15 with the 15 percent service charge.
If you drink 2 sodas a day, that's $4.30.

If you are on a 7-day cruise, you would pay $29.10 for 2 sodas/day.

With the card, they charge you the 15 percent up front, so when you order a soda with your card, you owe nothing.
It's quite convenient.

You cannot use it on HMC, but you can use it in the dining room, etc.
Old March 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM
FLLP

I just read on another website message board that they are not going to have soda cards on all ships soon. They are putting Coke machines on all the ships. Oh geez. As for bringing soda onboard with you, I was on the Westerdam for New Years and we brought two cases with us. We checked them in with our luggage and it made it to our cabins with no problems. We had 4 twelve packs and we wrote our cabin numbers on the boxes in big bold numbers. Worked great.