Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2004, 02:39 PM
David S

Default New Holland Ships

I grew up going with my family and 10 other families on Holland America every year on a 14 day sailing. We stopped going after all the families started going their own ways over the holidaies, because without our families, there was no one under the age of 75 on the ships. have the new ships started to cater to a younger crowd. My wife and I are now thinking of doing one of the new ones over Christmas/New Years. I need my wife to see how great Holland Service and Food is in comparison to Princess, RCCL and Celebrity.
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: New Holland Ships

I wouldn't say there was "no one" under 75, but our HAL cruise certainly did have a large percentage of retirement-age folks. We are "early 40-ish" and prefer an older, more dignified crowd, as opposed to the college-partiers. We had a *wonderful* time on the Maasdam, and there were people of all ages really, though definitely a majority were older than us. What kinds of things would your wife enjoy doing on a cruiseship?
Old February 5th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Passenger

I am taking a HAL vacation this summer on one of the Vista class ships we have three kids 16,14 and 10.
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Vera E.

I cruise on Holland America frequently. I understand the Vista Class ships have been built to cater to a younger age group and families with children. All the reviews I have read are very favorable. Bon voyage!!
Old February 6th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

A Vista Class ship for Christmas owould be wonderful. I'm taking my twin niece an nephew on Zuiderdam for back to back cruises this summer. I love sailing HAL and I was happy to see that they were finally building a vew ships for families. That why the twins will get to celebrate their 13th birth experiencing the service of HAL instead of the Freestyle service of NCL.
Old February 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM
First Mate

My husband and I (ages 29/31) took our first cruise on the Maasdam this past Thanksgiving. We did not feel out of place at all, but you are right - there are not as many twenty-somethings on HAL as you might find on other cruiselines. In fact, this was our third cruiseline to try (Celebrity, Norwegian, HAL) and if we had to choose one of the three we would return to HAL first.
~ Mandy
www.cmgoddard.com
Old February 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
retiredldo

Default Re: Re: New Holland Ships

We were on the Zuiderdam last year and the Oosterdam a couple of weeks ago, 2 of the new vista class ships, there is still and older crowd on HAL, they are attempting to get a younger crowd as the vista style ships have the disco, in addition to the crows nest, ocean bar etc. Even when folks say they want a different type of crowd, they are still slower paced. But very enjoyable. On our last trip and school was in session there were 20 kids in the HAL program, all very young.

One joke on the ship was that there was an elder gentleman traveling on the cruise he was 103, and he was sharing the cabin with his parents.

Pete
Old February 15th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Captain

Mandy....

We were with you on Maasdam for Thanksgiving. We did back-to-backs and had a great time.

We were back-to-back on Zuiderdam for Easter and there were lots of families/children. We had such a good time and loved the ship so much, we returned in August.
Old February 15th, 2004, 11:00 PM
titasam

We just returned from a 7 day Eastern Carribean cruise on board the newest Fleet the
M/S OOSTERDAM with a capacity of 1800 +. This is one of the 4 VISTA SHIPS that Holland America has introduced. The passengers are definitely MORE on the over 65 age group and then there are the baby boomers like us and the younger 55 and under group. Overall the ship has more space, million dollars worth of arts and antiques, fresh flowers everywhere which are very elegant, DELICIOUS food and YUMMY DESSERTS, FABULOUS ENTERTAINMENT, and of course EXCELLENT SERVICE the STRENGTH OF HOLLAND AMERICA. You should try the PINNACLE GRILL the ODDYSEY RESTAURANT which is very elegant in SILVER DECOR. FOOD like, porterhouse steak, sirloin,rib eye, filet mignon and it comes in 12-16 OZ. just to mention a few of the entrees.Fresh seasonal greens prepared by the waiter at your table. VOLCANO TRUFFLE CAKE is a MUST. There is a $20. fee but it's all worth it. the room has a very romantic ambiance.
SHORE EXCURSIONS : St. Maarten/St. Martin - we tooke this tour and we had a fabulous time. we visited the French as well as the Dutch side. Our tour guide DENNIS was hilaroius and very informative. ST. Maarten is very beautiful and then Tortolla of the British Virgin island. it is a very small island and it still needs to be developed. Then the private island of Holland America...Half moon Cay. Very beautiful PARADISE. Whie velvety sand and turquoise blue waters. If you've never been here, don't miss it.

This is our 3rd cruise with HOLLAND AMERICA in 10 weeks. We were also on the other VISTA SHIP the ZUIDERDAM in APRIL and just like it's sister OOSTERDAM it has the same features and EXCELLENT SERVICE>

But the one we love the most is the ROTTERDAM .We went to Panama Canal 10 days Southern Carribean and it is a very elegant ship. If you haven't taken the ROTTERDAM make it one of your future ship.
Have a wonderful cruise. My sister and her husband and my husband and I had a FUNTASTIC time on board the OOSTERDAM I hope you do too.